videorama

Vhs Tape To Dvd

Question

Have some basic questions concerning transferring VHS to DVD.

First some background info:

I have a Toshiba dual VHS/DVD player which is connected to my Canon DV camcorder with yellow, red, and white component cable.

The Camcorer is connected to my Sony Vaio computer via a iEEE 1394 firewire.

I am getting a transfer (of the VHS tape) to the PC where I use Roxio to process the captured video and sound just like always.

I have played the resultant DVD on a couple of devices and have observed the following:

On several small screen TV's/DVD players, there does not appear to be much (if any) loss as compared to the original VHS tape shown on the same device.

However, when played to my 73" Mitsubishi DLP, the quality is quite poor but so is the original VHS played likewise.

Questions:

Would there be a better way to do this transfer such as:

Use of the S-vidoe cable?

Use of a Dual VHS/DVD player recorder?

Use of the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD device?

Other?

Would a DVD/VHS recorder that outputs through an MDHI improve the picture on the TV?

Keep in mind that I intend to edit (mostly clip out scenes that do not contain anything but scenery and such) which from what I gather is not really capable with the dual player/recorders. They apparently have a limited editing capability but it is mostly for titles and chapter markers. Any comment on that?

As always, I thank you in advance for your willingness to share you expertise with me.

Edited by videorama

7 answers to this question

Have some basic questions concerning transferring VHS to DVD.

First some background info:

I have a Toshiba dual VHS/DVD player which is connected to my Canon DV camcorder with yellow, red, and white component cable.

The Camcorer is connected to my Sony Vaio computer via a iEEE 1394 firewire.

I am getting a transfer (of the VHS tape) to the PC where I use Roxio to process the captured video and sound just like always.

I have played the resultant DVD on a couple of devices and have observed the following:

On several small screen TV's/DVD players, there does not appear to be much (if any) loss as compared to the original VHS tape shown on the same device.

However, when played to my 73" Mitsubishi DLP, the quality is quite poor but so is the original VHS played likewise.

Questions:

Would there be a better way to do this transfer such as:

Use of the S-vidoe cable?

Use of a Dual VHS/DVD player recorder?

Use of the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD device?

Other?

Keep in mind that I intend to edit (mostly clip out scenes that do not contain anything but scenery and such) which from what I gather is not really capable with the dual player/recorders. They apparently have a limited editing capability but it is mostly for titles and chapter markers. Any comment on that?

As always, I thank you in advance for your willingness to share you expertise with me.

VHS Tape is 320 x 240 you can't go back and make the source better. No mater how it's captured I'm sure you will see the same results on the Big Screen TV.

VHS Tape is 320 x 240 you can't go back and make the source better. No mater how it's captured I'm sure you will see the same results on the Big Screen TV.

I understand there is no way of making the VHS source better but just wanting to know if what I am doing is as loss-less as it can be, or if not, what would be best.

You are choosing DVD AVI when you capture?

post-97-092056200 1325798832.jpg

1.Use of the S-video cable? S-Video or Component (yellow) wouldn't make a quality difference capturing.

2,Use of a Dual VHS/DVD player recorder? You tell me, I don't have one especially your model, what does it do?

3.Use of the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD device? #1's answer I thought we were using the 'Roxio Easy VHS to DVD capture device'?

4.Other? Again, I doubt other capture hardware/ways of capturing analog video would yield the same results with VHS tape 320x240.

You are authoring in MyDVD to DVD HQ?

Edited by cdanteek

You are choosing DVD AVI when you capture?

post-97-092056200 1325798832.jpg

1.Use of the S-video cable? S-Video or Component (yellow) wouldn't make a quality difference capturing.

2,Use of a Dual VHS/DVD player recorder? You tell me, I don't have one especially your model, what does it do?

3.Use of the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD device? #1's answer I thought we were using the 'Roxio Easy VHS to DVD capture device'?

4.Other? Again, I doubt other capture hardware/ways of capturing analog video would yield the same results with VHS tape 320x240.

You are authoring in MyDVD to DVD HQ?

the

Sorry for the confusion. I am using the VHS portion of the dual Toshiba but it is not the type of unit that will play the VCR and Record to DVD within the unit. Basically it is a dual PLAYER. Therefore, I use the VHS player composite output to my Canon camcorder composite input (as a pass through) and the Canon is outputing to the PC via firewire. I am using Roxio EMC 7.XX to capture in MPEG2. The results that I am getting are OK but I just wonder if there is a means to do this with the greater amount of quality. If I read you correctly, the s-video vs: the Composite cable will bot provide any advantage in quality but selecting AVI (in Roxio capture) would be advantageous. If that is true I deduce that there would be no real advantage to purchasing a dual PLAYER?RECORDER either. Is that true?

Correct...

er

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and answer my questions. Your effort is especially appreciated now that I have retired. While at work I had upwards of 400 fellow workers assembled from a very diverse background - anywhere from plumbing to medical technician. I could always count on one of them to have the information that I needed or at least steer me in the right direction to find the information. Now I am kind of out there all by myself.

er

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and answer my questions. Your effort is especially appreciated now that I have retired. While at work I had upwards of 400 fellow workers assembled from a very diverse background - anywhere from plumbing to medical technician. I could always count on one of them to have the information that I needed or at least steer me in the right direction to find the information. Now I am kind of out there all by myself.

No you are not by yourself. You have hundreds of friends here including about 20 special ones.

Edited by sknis