• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Capture Issue

Ken Paquin

Question

I have just recently purchased the Easy VHS to DVD. I have two 8mm camcorders. One is analog and one is digital. I have had no problems with the digital camcorder when capturing video. I've had no problems with the analog camcorder capturing video until I got to my 13th 2hr 8mm tape. It seems that the camcorder I was using started going bad recording a bad video signal (No color). I can hook the camcorder to my TV or through my VCR and the tape plays but with little or no color. All the audio is there. When I try to capture the video, the program does not recognize a video signal. The program does recognize the audio. I started capturing video at a point on the tape where there was a good video signal and when the tape got to the bad video portion the screen went to "no video signal" but you could still hear the audio. The program continued to capture this bad video for about 13 minutes of the 30 minute video. I've tried changing the rendering and aspect ratio with the same results. Is there anything I can do to get this video onto my computer? I have two more 2hr 8mm tapes that are in the same condition and I would really like to capture these videos, in color or black and white.

7 answers to this question

Wow! :huh:

Is there another camcorder you could play them on?

I would try the old tape trick of Fast Forward to end of tape, then Rewind. Do this at least twice ;)

Can you play them in to your digital camcorder? (high end models could Record analog input)

Or just maybe play them into the digital camcorder and capture its' output. Use the digital camcorder (or maybe a DVD Player) to act as a Pass Through for the signal...

Do you know anyone that has a DVD Recorder/Player? You could record the tapes on that as you play them.

I recorded the 8mm tape onto a VHS using my VCR. The VCR captured all audio and video (Video in black and white). When I connect my VCR to the Roxio I get the same "no video signal" that I get with the camcorder connected to it. The camcorder used to make these videos is no longer working (Sony CCD-FX-510). I borrowed the camcorder that I am using now (Sony CCD-FX-630). I guess I can try to capture to my digital camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV-280, it cannot play analog tapes). I'm thinking the same thing will probably happen.

To make sure we are not overlooking the obvious - open your Device Manager (Win-Pause) and make absolutly sure you have these 2 drivers listed when you have the USB Device plugged in:

post-39730-039308900 1326286061.jpg

Are you still able to capture with the digital (DCR-TRV-280)???

SOME of the USB Devices do not seem to do well with Black & White or other tape 'noise'...

I have both of the drivers listed when the USB device is plugged in. I have not yet tried to record to my Sony DCR-TRV-280.

As a quick test, connect a DVD player up to the USB unit as your source and see if that works ok. Use a known good disc.

If that works, then we know the Roxio software and hardware and your connections are good.

We can then proceed from there.

I've captured 12 two hour 8MM tapes with the Roxio software. I started the 13th and about one and a half hours into the tape I lost the video signal and the Roxio software would not capture it. It seems that my old camcorder started to fail at that same time(probably the heads). I recorded 2 more two hour tapes before realizing that the camcorder was bad. These damaged tapes have all the audio and video but the video is in black and white. I can play these damaged tapes and watch them through the viewfinder of the camcorder, by connecting the camcorder to my TV, through my VCR to the TV. I have even recorded the last 30 minutes of tape 13 onto a VHS tape, connected the VCR to the Roxio and the software still would not recognize the video. I believe the software just doen't recognize the signal as a video signal, whether from the camcorder 8MM tape or from the VCR copied VHS tape. Could there possibly be a way around this?