Jim B

Importing Video In 16:9 Format

Question

I have recorded a TV show to a DVD disc. I would like to edit portions of it using video wave. I can't figure out how to capture/import the video in 16:9 format. All I get is an imported file in 4:3 format. Where is the setting to fix this?

Thanks, Jim B.

12 answers to this question

I have recorded a TV show to a DVD disc. I would like to edit portions of it using video wave. I can't figure out how to capture/import the video in 16:9 format. All I get is an imported file in 4:3 format. Where is the setting to fix this?

Thanks, Jim B.

How are you trying to get the video onto your computer? Copy the disc contents to a folder on your hard drive. Those VOB files are mpg2 files with a different extension. You may have to go into Windows and change the extensions to mpg in order for EMC 8 to find them.

In Video Wave, select new project and then select 16 by 9. I'm not sure that EMC 8 will even do it. It hasd been a long time since I used it.

Edited by sknis

How are you trying to get the video onto your computer? Copy the disc contents to a folder on your hard drive. Those VOB files are mpg2 files with a different extension. You may have to go into Windows and change the extensions to mpg in order for EMC 8 to find them.

In Video Wave, select new project and then select 16 by 9. I'm not sure that EMC 8 will even do it. It hasd been a long time since I used it.

Thanks for the reply. First, my bad, the video format is 4:3 not 16:9 and it's about 2 hours long. There are two VOB files on the disc. I copied them to the desktop and changed the extension to MPG as you directed. I can open them in videowave and work on them (mostly to remove the commercials). Now, I have a question. When I play the DVD, there are two titles on it both 2 hours long and both containing the same content. The VOB files I copied and renamed are about 1 hour long and one contains the first half of the video and the other contains the second half of the video. I would have thought there would have been 1 VOB file containing the whole 2 hours of the video. Can you explain this?

What confuses me even more is, If I use media player to play one of the VOB files in the TS folder on the disc while in windows explorer, I will see the whole 2 hour movie. But, if I copy that same VOB file to the desktop and not rename it, media player won't open it.

I understand almost nothing about the workings of these files. If you could shed some light on the subject or point me to a site that might I'd be ever so thankful.

James the bewildered

Edited by Jim B

Thanks for the reply. First, my bad, the video format is 4:3 not 16:9 and it's about 2 hours long. There are two VOB files on the disc. I copied them to the desktop and changed the extension to MPG as you directed. I can open them in videowave and work on them (mostly to remove the commercials). Now, I have a question. When I play the DVD, there are two titles on it both 2 hours long and both containing the same content. The VOB files I copied and renamed are about 1 hour long and one contains the first half of the video and the other contains the second half of the video. I would have thought there would have been 1 VOB file containing the whole 2 hours of the video. Can you explain this?

What confuses me even more is, If I use media player to play one of the VOB files in TS folder on the disc while in windows explorer, I will see the whole 2 hour movie. But, if I copy that same VOB file to the desktop and not rename it, media player won't open it.

I understand almost nothing about the workings of these files. If you could shed some light on the subject or point me to a site that might I'd be ever so thankful.

James the bewildered

If the movie is hours long then there should be a lot more then only 2 VOB files on the DVD. What is the size of those vob files? If that is a standard vide DVD then none of the vob files can be bigger then about 1GB. Could you list all the files that are on your DVD?

You've answered one of my questions. It is a standard video DVD and the files are 1Gb in size. So, 2 hour video = 2 1 hour VOB files.

Thanks

You've answered one of my questions. It is a standard video DVD and the files are 1Gb in size. So, 2 hour video = 2 1 hour VOB files.

Thanks

That is not a standard video DVD, at least not in quality. A standard 4.7GB DVD at best quality can only hold 60 minutes of video. Such a Video_TS folder should have at least 4 vob files each about 1GB in size. If you have only 2 vob's for a 2 hour movie then they have extreme high compression. There should also be a number of ifo and bup files in that folder. If not then you do not have video DVD.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this. Here's my information. I've been familiarizing myself with what I've got so I could respond somewhat intelligently to you.

The main subject of the video is a history of the first world war and is 2 hours long.

The disc is a Verbatim DVD+R 4.7 GB, 16X speed, 120 min.

The files on it are:

VIDEO_TS.BUP (size 12.0 kb)

VIDEO_TS.IFO (size 12.0 kb)

VIDEO_TS.VOB (size 64.0 kb)

VTS_01_0.IFO (size 76.0 kb)

VTS_01_1.VOB (size .99 GB)

VTS_01_2.VOB (size .99 GB)

VTS_01_3.VOB (size .99 GB)

VTS_01_4.VOB (size .99 GB)

VTS_01_5.VOB (size 339 MB)

VTS_01_1 when copied to my desktop and renamed with a MPG extension plays the first hour of the video and VTS_01_2 when treated the same way plays the second hour of the video.

_3 plays about half way thru the second hour and goes blank.

_4 plays 21 seconds of a blank screen.

_5 is a 15 minute clip not related to this video.

My DVD recorder can stuff up to 6 hours on a disc. I gather, from what you say, 2 hours would be pushing it.

I've got some videos that I purchased. These discs have a logo on of the letters DVD and the word video underneath them. For future recordings these are what I should use?

Thanks again, Jim

Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this. Here's my information. I've been familiarizing myself with what I've got so I could respond somewhat intelligently to you.

The main subject of the video is a history of the first world war and is 2 hours long.

The disc is a Verbatim DVD+R 4.7 GB, 16X speed, 120 min.

The files on it are:

VIDEO_TS.BUP (size 12.0 kb)

VIDEO_TS.IFO (size 12.0 kb)

VIDEO_TS.VOB (size 64.0 kb)

VTS_01_0.IFO (size 76.0 kb)

VTS_01_1.VOB (size .99 GB)

VTS_01_2.VOB (size .99 GB)

VTS_01_3.VOB (size .99 GB)

VTS_01_4.VOB (size .99 GB)

VTS_01_5.VOB (size 339 MB)

VTS_01_1 when copied to my desktop and renamed with a MPG extension plays the first hour of the video and VTS_01_2 when treated the same way plays the second hour of the video.

_3 plays about half way thru the second hour and goes blank.

_4 plays 21 seconds of a blank screen.

_5 is a 15 minute clip not related to this video.

My DVD recorder can stuff up to 6 hours on a disc. I gather, from what you say, 2 hours would be pushing it.

I've got some videos that I purchased. These discs have a logo on of the letters DVD and the word video underneath them. For future recordings these are what I should use?

Thanks again, Jim

The DVD you used is a perfectly good make and one that we all recommend to use.

All of the 5 VTS_1_?.vob file should make up the movie. Obviously the DVD is corrupt which is most likely due to the fact that the recorder was trying to squeeze 2 hours of video on that DVD. That propably screwed up the whole navigation system on the DVD.

Your description of what is in the vob files does not make sense. If VTS_01_1 and VTS_01_2 cover the 2 hours then why should there be any other vobs?

Edited by myguggi

Why the other VOB's? It could be that I was learning how to use the recorder at the time. I recorded and "erased" some titles. I guess, on a +R disc, you can erase a title but you don't recover the space as on a +RW disc. The VOB files were probably not removed during "erasure". I will start over and record some things using a fresh +RW disc and will update you with the results. BTW the +RW discs I'm using are Memorex DVD +RW.

Jim

Why the other VOB's? It could be that I was learning how to use the recorder at the time. I recorded and "erased" some titles. I guess, on a +R disc, you can erase a title but you don't recover the space as on a +RW disc. The VOB files were probably not removed during "erasure". I will start over and record some things using a fresh +RW disc and will update you with the results. BTW the +RW discs I'm using are Memorex DVD +RW.

Jim

Look in your manual, sounds like your recording in VR mode!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR_mode

Look in your manual, sounds like your recording in VR mode!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR_mode

First, thanks for all the useful links.

The recorder is a Magnavox ZC320MW8B and records in +VR mode. There's nothing in the manual about changing it. If you tell me what might be the preferred recording mode, I will contact Magnavox and see what they say. Is there anything worng with the VR mode aside from the fact you have to copy the VOB files from the disc and change the extension to MPG before Videowave can open them?

Edited by Jim B

I recorded a 1 hour long TV show. When I look at the TS folder on the disk, there are 3 VOB files. I copied them to my desktop and changed the extension to MPG. When I open what was the video_ts.vob, I get part of a screen showing the disk info. When I open what was vts_10_1.vob I get the first 46 minutes of the recording and vts_01_2 gives me the second 15 minutes. This makes sense to me. I am confused as to why there would be 4 titles showing in Media Player. Selecting either title 1 or 3, which have 13 chapters each, gives me the whole recording. Selecting 2 or 4, which have only 1 chapter each, gives me an error "Windows Media player cannot skip to the requested location". I know how to do what I want to do (edit the video), I just curious about why I have 4 titles.

Jim B

Hi Jim,

A VOB file (Video Object) is a container format in DVD-Video media. VOB can contain video, audio, subtitle, menu and navigation contents multiplexed together into a stream form. [see the Wiki]

It's not a totally self-sufficient MPG file, but is part of the set of files which comprise a Video DVD. It is designed to be used on a DVD in conjunction with the IFO files.

The IFO file on the DVD contains important navigational information, such as where a video chapter begins, and where audio and subtitle streams exist within the movie (VOB) file. [see the Wiki]

If you rename the VOBs and attempt to deal with them without the IFO information, you can get strange results such as you've seen. It's the way the software tries to interpret and navigate through the renamed VOB file.

Regards,

Brendon