• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Paul Spens

Get Message That Multiple Disks Required

Question

I am trying to use Roxio burn by dragging a video_ts folder containing a DVD to the Roxio icon on my desktop. I get the message that "multiple disks are required to burn...". I don't understand this... the disk should be able to contain 4.7 GB of info and the DVD in question has precisely 4,667,111,424 bytes of information. Also, I have found that I can burn this same folder to a DVD using Nero (on a different computer). If Nero can do it, why not Roxio?

I might add that this is "Roxio Creator Starter" which came with my PC. I also would like to note that I was able to burn a smaller-sized DVD (4,528,115,712 bytes) so the software indeed works.

Edited by Paul Spens

8 answers to this question

I am trying to use Roxio burn by dragging a video_ts folder containing a DVD to the Roxio icon on my desktop. I get the message that "multiple disks are required to burn...". I don't understand this... the disk should be able to contain 4.7 GB of info and the DVD in question has precisely 4,667,111,424 bytes of information. Also, I have found that I can burn this same folder to a DVD using Nero (on a different computer). If Nero can do it, why not Roxio?

I might add that this is "Roxio Creator Starter" which came with my PC. I also would like to note that I was able to burn a smaller-sized DVD (4,528,115,712 bytes) so the software indeed works.

4.7GB is a marketing ploy. There is actually only 4.37GB of storage available.

Do a google search on DVD sizes, there are lots of explanations of the math used to calculate DVD sizes.

If Nero burned that folder then it either did an overburn on the DVD (not recommended) or it compressed the video to make it fit.

The full version of C2012 can also to this compression. Your starter program will have a lot of features missing or disabled.

4.7GB is a marketing ploy. There is actually only 4.37GB of storage available.

Do a google search on DVD sizes, there are lots of explanations of the math used to calculate DVD sizes.

That is why I avoided using terms like GB. I gave the precise number of bytes in my message. A 4.7 GB disk should hold 4,700,000,000 bytes. I know that dividing by 1024^3 gives 4.37 GB, where Giga, in this case, means 1024 cubed.

So you claim that Nero is doing some file compression? I find that surprising.

That is why I avoided using terms like GB. I gave the precise number of bytes in my message. A 4.7 GB disk should hold 4,700,000,000 bytes. I know that dividing by 1024^3 gives 4.37 GB, where Giga, in this case, means 1024 cubed.

So you claim that Nero is doing some file compression? I find that surprising.

Where did this VIDEO_TS Folder originate from?

None of us have ever seen the 'Roxio Starter' so we have no idea what it consists of.

I don't know of anyone who 'drops files' on the Roxio Burn icon to make a DVD Movie! In fact the majority have it turned off.

DVD Movies are not simpley files slapped on a disc. The disc has to be Authored in a format that meets international stadards for DVD Movies. Depending on your Players ability to accept mistakes, it may or may not enjoy wide complatibility.

Where did this VIDEO_TS Folder originate from?

None of us have ever seen the 'Roxio Starter' so we have no idea what it consists of.

I don't know of anyone who 'drops files' on the Roxio Burn icon to make a DVD Movie! In fact the majority have it turned off.

DVD Movies are not simpley files slapped on a disc. The disc has to be Authored in a format that meets international stadards for DVD Movies. Depending on your Players ability to accept mistakes, it may or may not enjoy wide complatibility.

Either DVD Shrink or DVD Fab. I've never had a size problem after DVD Shrink does its job until I tried using Roxio for burning. I mean the idea of DVD Shrink is to reduce the size so that it can fit on a single layer disk. So, to see if fail when attempting to burn with Roxio leads me to suspect Roxio isn't doing its job properly.

Come to think of it, usually DVD Shrink since most DVDs are too big for single-layer disks and need compressing.

Edited by Paul Spens

Either DVD Shrink or DVD Fab. I've never had a size problem after DVD Shrink does its job until I tried using Roxio for burning. I mean the idea of DVD Shrink is to reduce the size so that it can fit on a single layer disk. So, to see if fail when attempting to burn with Roxio leads me to suspect Roxio isn't doing its job properly.

Come to think of it, usually DVD Shrink since most DVDs are too big for single-layer disks and need compressing.

If you are using DVDshrink or DVDFab to rip commercial/copy protected DVDs then this discussion is finished since we are not allowed to discuss such activities in this forum.

Walt is correct, copying commercial movies is illegal in the USA, period.

I am curious, your burn is right on the edge of what will fit. I think the difference might be How you burn it... :glare:

Specifically, which program in the Suite were you using, and what settings did you choose?

I would use one called Burn Data Disc, which recognizes "VIDEO_TS" or "BDMV" folders and will automatically use the proper disc formating for those types of movies. I believe it will even ignore other setting options and not make it a Data Disc...

If you burned it as a 'Data Disc' then the extra writing required for those type of disc's, up to 25 MB, may have put it over the edge :huh:

You see why I say it is not just files dropped on a disc ;)

I have Roxio Burn OFF so I have no idea what it does.

I've seen this happen in Roxio Burn a few times. Semantics about what's a GB aside, Roxio simply gets it wrong sometimes. Drag and Drop is just file copying and there is no such thing as compression or overburn in that case.

In such cases, I just use Explorer to do the burning. Drag and drop of VIDEO_TS with 4,680,798,208 bytes worked fine after Roxio Burn failed to allow it.