• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
Trystero

Out Of Sync Audio (Video_Ts And .vob Files)

Question

Hello, I write from Italy and this is my first message here.

I am trying to burn a DVD putting together two different recordings made with a DVD burner from two VHS cassettes. The files works fine, with the audio well synchronyzed.

With Toast it seems simple to burn a DVD starting from that material, but I tried in three ways and every time I obtain out-of-sync audio.

1 - DVD Video

2 - DVD Folders

3 - DVD compilation

I drag & Drop of the two VIDEO_TS folders. I can choose a graphic menu, add the titles and chapters, but when I burn the DVD (or save a DVD image) I obtain a video with the audio that gradually becomes out-of-sync.

I tried joining the .vob files in the VIDEO_TS folders with MPEG Streamclip. Good... the new .vob files works well, with the audio synchronyzed from the start to the end.

Also in this way I can prepare a DVD with menu, titles, chapters... and all seems right until I remain inside Toast.

But when I burn the DVD (or save a DVD image) I obtain the gradually out of synch audio.

I tried with PCM and Dolby Digital Audio.

I tried with Reencoding = Never

It is the same. Can someone help me?

4 answers to this question

I don't know why that is happening. There is one process you haven't tried with Toast but it is similar to what you did when you involved MPEG Streamclip. Toast can extract individual videos from a VIDEO_TS folder and add them to the Video window with DVD video selected as the format (so you can create your new menu). This is done by inserting the source DVD (or placing the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop or in the Movies folder) and clicking Video in the Toast Media Browser and selecting DVD. There you should see how to access individual titles and chapters to add to the main Toast window.

When you chose Never Re-encode did Toast simply multiplex the video rather than go through an encoding process? If so, Toast did nothing to either the video or audio streams other than reassemble them in a new VOB title set. I can't think of how this could affect audio sync. So that makes me think it may be an issue with your player reading the disc. Try a different brand of DVD media such as Verbatim.

I don't know why that is happening. There is one process you haven't tried with Toast but it is similar to what you did when you involved MPEG Streamclip. Toast can extract individual videos from a VIDEO_TS folder and add them to the Video window with DVD video selected as the format (so you can create your new menu). This is done by inserting the source DVD (or placing the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop or in the Movies folder) and clicking Video in the Toast Media Browser and selecting DVD. There you should see how to access individual titles and chapters to add to the main Toast window.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried also in this way but it is the same. The audio is out of sync.

Toast_clips.jpg

When you chose Never Re-encode did Toast simply multiplex the video rather than go through an encoding process?

It seems that Toast is multiplexing the video:

Multiplexing.jpg

If so, Toast did nothing to either the video or audio streams other than reassemble them in a new VOB title set. I can't think of how this could affect audio sync. So that makes me think it may be an issue with your player reading the disc. Try a different brand of DVD media such as Verbatim.

The issue appears not only burning a DVD, but also if I save a DVD image and then I open it with Toast and watch with DVD Player.

So I think that the issue is not related with the DVD brand.

The only way to have a DVD with synchronized audio is DVD-ROM (UDF), but in this way I can burn only one VIDEO_TS folder, not two (or more) with a graphic menu.

Edited by Trystero

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried also in this way but it is the same. The audio is out of sync.

It seems that Toast is multiplexing the video:

The issue appears not only burning a DVD, but also if I save a DVD image and then I open it with Toast and watch with DVD Player.

So I think that the issue is not related with the DVD brand.

The only way to have a DVD with synchronized audio is DVD-ROM (UDF), but in this way I can burn only one VIDEO_TS folder, not two (or more) with a graphic menu.

The illustration you posted shows the audio as being MPEG-1 which is nonstandard for video DVD but not all that uncommon. It shouldn't be a problem but I haven't done anything with MPEG-1 audio for several years.

Since you have MPEG Streamclip try saving the video as separate M2V and M1A audio streams. Choose this option after selecting Demux... in the File menu. Then add the resulting .m2v video file to Toast. If Toast doesn't see the audio stream it will ask you to locate it. In this way Toast only needs to multiplex rather than demultiplex the source and it may get it right this time around. You also could choose to Demux to M2V and AIFF and add that to Toast which will result in PCM audio on the DVD unless you choose Always re-encode.

The illustration you posted shows the audio as being MPEG-1 which is nonstandard for video DVD but not all that uncommon. It shouldn't be a problem but I haven't done anything with MPEG-1 audio for several years.

Since you have MPEG Streamclip try saving the video as separate M2V and M1A audio streams. Choose this option after selecting Demux... in the File menu. Then add the resulting .m2v video file to Toast. If Toast doesn't see the audio stream it will ask you to locate it. In this way Toast only needs to multiplex rather than demultiplex the source and it may get it right this time around. You also could choose to Demux to M2V and AIFF and add that to Toast which will result in PCM audio on the DVD unless you choose Always re-encode.

After a lot of attempts, I found a way to re-sync audio and video. Please excuse me if the explanation will be not easily understandable, with my bad English…

----------------------

With MPEG Streamclip I choose to demux the original .vob files, and I obtained .m2v video and .m1a audio files (or .aiff files), as you suggested.

I imported the files in Toast, but in both ways (.m1a and .aiff) the audio was gradually out of sync.

Following the suggestion found in another forum, I converted the .vob files in .dv but burning those .dv files in Toast the DVD (or DVD image) was very bad, with the video full of distortions and vibrations.

But during the .dv conversion I see that some temp files appeared in the "Roxio converted items" folder in User->Documents: .m2v and .ac3 audio files.

I copied the .ac3 files in a new folder, together with the smaller .m2v files produced by MPEG streamclip.

I opened again Toast (Video window) and I add those files, then I saved a DVD image.

IT WORKS!

Now, after so many attempts, I have synchronized audio and video.

It seems that TOAST works bad with .m1v audio files (mpeg1)

Edited by Trystero