• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Vaughn Whiskey

Losing My Mind, Screen Flicker Randomly (Not Preview Screen In Software)

Question

Ok this is going to be very hard to explain, I have my Roxio hooked up to my computer screen via a DVI to HDMI cable which is hooked up to a component to HDMI converter box...Still with me? The converter box is hooked up to the OUTPUT of the roxio. it works great!

27yb9g5.jpg

well worked great...After my 2 day battle with my computer and roxio capture device, i was stoked to find out my Roxio was working perfect again. But this morning when i woke up to capture some footage of Skyrim, I kept getting random black flicker. not a flicker that is like 20 in a row but one flicker that would stay black anywhere from half a second to 2 seconds. In which my screen would reset me back to my computer or just switch back to my xbox....which is a pain in the &%$ lol. So being somewhat a problem solver, I unhooked the converter and roxio and just feed a hdmi to my screen with the DVI to HDMI cord to ensure the cord was not messed up. It went for an hour perfectly with no black screen flicker. Then i added the Xbox 360 HD component Red/Green/Blue cable and my Component to HDMI convertor box to check my cable and convertor box. Nothing wrong either, went on for an hour with no flicker.

Then i tried the Roxio with everything else hooked backed up and a NEW COMPONENT CABLE (23 bucks later) and STILL had the black out flicker. So my theory is that roxio is causing this problem....never did before but does now! I contacted Roxio phone support and told me that they are not doing replacements anymore and can't even give me a refund because they can't find my purchase history.

that is nonsense, i also mention this forum and the customer service rep told me this isn't really a forum connected to Roxio customer/tech support and that no one on the forum is a employee of Roxio....which blew my mind.

but anyways, any know ideas about this one?

Video of black out screen....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_o3aDtL4s

Edited by Vaughn Whiskey

14 answers to this question

Ok this is going to be very hard to explain, I have my Roxio hooked up to my computer screen via a DVI to HDMI cable which is hooked up to a component to HDMI converter box...Still with me? The converter box is hooked up to the OUTPUT of the roxio. it works great!

27yb9g5.jpg

well worked great...After my 2 day battle with my computer and roxio capture device, i was stoked to find out my Roxio was working perfect again. But this morning when i woke up to capture some footage of Skyrim, I kept getting random black flicker. not a flicker that is like 20 in a row but one flicker that would stay black anywhere from half a second to 2 seconds. In which my screen would reset me back to my computer or just switch back to my xbox....which is a pain in the &%$ lol. So being somewhat a problem solver, I unhooked the converter and roxio and just feed a hdmi to my screen with the DVI to HDMI cord to ensure the cord was not messed up. It went for an hour perfectly with no black screen flicker. Then i added the Xbox 360 HD component Red/Green/Blue cable and my Component to HDMI convertor box to check my cable and convertor box. Nothing wrong either, went on for an hour with no flicker.

Then i tried the Roxio with everything else hooked backed up and a NEW COMPONENT CABLE (23 bucks later) and STILL had the black out flicker. So my theory is that roxio is causing this problem....never did before but does now! I contacted Roxio phone support and told me that they are not doing replacements anymore and can't even give me a refund because they can't find my purchase history.

that is nonsense, i also mention this forum and the customer service rep told me this isn't really a forum connected to Roxio customer/tech support and that no one on the forum is a employee of Roxio....which blew my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_o3aDtL4s

Long shot....have you tried a different USB port.

The Roxio tech is correct - this forum has nothing to do with Roxio Customer/Tech service. It is strictly a users forum. 2 or 3 Roxio employees occasionally drop by to help with some problems but generally we are on our own.

By any chance have you added any new elecrical devices to the room , I had the exact same problem when i put a freezer in in the same room as my setup , everytime the freezer switched on , my tv would go black for 1-5 secs , the only way i could fix it , was to put the freezer on its own seperate circuit and viola no black outs since .

By any chance have you added any new elecrical devices to the room , I had the exact same problem when i put a freezer in in the same room as my setup , everytime the freezer switched on , my tv would go black for 1-5 secs , the only way i could fix it , was to put the freezer on its own seperate circuit and viola no black outs since .

FYI

Good move. A freezer is considered a permanent appliance, so it should be on its own "dedicated" electrical circuit.

Long shot....have you tried a different USB port.

yes, all 12 free ones i have on my tower

The Roxio tech is correct - this forum has nothing to do with Roxio Customer/Tech service. It is strictly a users forum. 2 or 3 Roxio employees occasionally drop by to help with some problems but generally we are on our own.

well that's unfortunate

no new device plugged in at all, same set up i had when it worked

Vaughn Whiskey,

I've seen that fade in and out on a PC monitor before.

Video driver corruption, a video card overheating, and a video card ready to take a dump.

Vaughn Whiskey,

I've seen that fade in and out on a PC monitor before.

Video driver corruption, a video card overheating, and a video card ready to take a dump.

really....thats the worst cause problem for me...just brought a new one lol

really....thats the worst cause problem for me...just brought a new one lol

What card did you buy? Nvidia? What driver are you using -285.62?

Re install the drivers to see if that helps.

It would not be the first time that a card is bad out of the box. I just installed a new Nvidia card and I periodically get a black screen but only when I'm using Windows Live Mail and deleting an e-mail. The screen recovers in a second or so and tell me that there was a driver crash and it has recovered ! ohmy.gif

Edited by sknis

What card did you buy? Nvidia? What driver are you using -285.62?

Re install the drivers to see if that helps.

It would not be the first time that a card is bad out of the box. I just installed a new Nvidia card and I periodically get a black screen but only when I'm using Windows Live Mail and deleting an e-mail. The screen recovers in a second or so and tell me that there was a driver crash and it has recovered ! ohmy.gif

i don't see how my video card is causing the problem.....the roxio is connected directly to the screen via the output side....

my screens don't flicker randomly when using dual extended on VGA but when i switch to the DVI to play my games on the one screen...i get the random flicker when the roxio is connected but once i remove the roxio out of the setup...it doesn't happen.

i don't see how my video card is causing the problem.....the roxio is connected directly to the screen via the output side....

my screens don't flicker randomly when using dual extended on VGA but when i switch to the DVI to play my games on the one screen...i get the random flicker when the roxio is connected but once i remove the roxio out of the setup...it doesn't happen.

Hi Vaughn,

I checked with an engineer, and they responded with:

Any way he can eliminate the DVI converter temporarily? Just want to know if going through Component and USB (which is what the product offers) is still working or not. Since the user suspects the blackout is caused by roxio device, we need to find out if his unit is working fine with what the product offers (rather than going through the converter for DVI and HDMI).

Can you check and see?

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Vaughn,

I checked with an engineer, and they responded with:

Any way he can eliminate the DVI converter temporarily? Just want to know if going through Component and USB (which is what the product offers) is still working or not. Since the user suspects the blackout is caused by roxio device, we need to find out if his unit is working fine with what the product offers (rather than going through the converter for DVI and HDMI).

Can you check and see?

Thanks,

Jon

thanks Jon

this might sound really stupid but i had to walk over to a friends place to use his Flat screen that had Component Blue,Red and Green and the video cut out and the audio made a fuzz sound. See i don't use the audio out so i didn't notice the audio part of the problem but yes, the flicker is still present but it isn't as often.

thanks Jon

this might sound really stupid but i had to walk over to a friends place to use his Flat screen that had Component Blue,Red and Green and the video cut out and the audio made a fuzz sound. See i don't use the audio out so i didn't notice the audio part of the problem but yes, the flicker is still present but it isn't as often.

Hi Vaughn

I got a response from the engineers and they have seen this once before, but when they tried to replicate it, they couldn't on their systems.

Since this seems to be such an odd circumstance, we're going to send you another device to see if it changes things and to eliminate that from the variables.

PM your shipping info with your email and and we'll get one out to you.

Jon

Hi Vaughn

I saw that the agents rejected your request for a new device. I have instructed them to send you a new one.

Jon

Hi Vaughn

I saw that the agents rejected your request for a new device. I have instructed them to send you a new one.

Jon

thank you jon, i PM'd you my address.

Vaughn