Zage

Am I Losing My Mind?

Question

First off, I recently tried playing the Tribes: Ascend beta which was fun, but when I try to record anything the instant I hit F6 the game crashes. I get some error saying:

----------------------------------

Rendering thread exception:

Fatal error!

Address = 0x65cb3b0 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\PC Game Capture\WeGame\echelon_47.dll]

----------------------------------

Anyway, I go to that file, and echelon_47.dll is there, though I have no idea what it does.

The first thing I thought to do was update the games library and and see if trying to launch the game through that would help, only... I cannot for the life of me find it. Anywhere.

I ask if I'm losing my mind because when I first got this software, installed it, and fiddled around with it, there was a lot more to the software. Namely, I recall clicking something like "search for games" and it found all my games, followed by me having the option to launch said games through that window. I figured the crash was because the software hadn't "found" the game and thus it hadn't made the appropriate file/update, but since I can't find it anymore I don't know wth I'm doing.

Why can't this software just record everything being rendered on my screen so I can capture everything instead of crashing and burning because of some file that's apparently missing?

3 answers to this question

Are you trying to play a beta of a game? Do you know what a beta is? A beta is a experimental stage of developing a program to find out if it screws anything up. Apparently it does in this case. Have you reported the issue to the game manufacturer?

Use Revo Uninstaller (free) to uninstall the beta. Reinstall the PC Game capture program - put the disc into your drive and select repair of that option comes up. If it still doesn't work, use Revo to uninstall it and reinstall it from scratch.

How old are you? Asking a question about the program not operating if a file is missing seems to indicate that there a a lot of things about computers that may be more complex then believed. You may be good at games but ....

Are you trying to play a beta of a game? Do you know what a beta is? A beta is a experimental stage of developing a program to find out if it screws anything up. Apparently it does in this case. Have you reported the issue to the game manufacturer?

Use Revo Uninstaller (free) to uninstall the beta. Reinstall the PC Game capture program - put the disc into your drive and select repair of that option comes up. If it still doesn't work, use Revo to uninstall it and reinstall it from scratch.

How old are you? Asking a question about the program not operating if a file is missing seems to indicate that there a a lot of things about computers that may be more complex then believed. You may be good at games but ....

Wow, I take the time to sign up to the forums to ask a question and receive a condescending pile of response trash.

First off: I know the game is a beta, and that's a possible cause of the crash.

The issue with a "file not found" is that the file listed IS THERE. Hence I mentioned that in my post you skimmed.

Secondly: As was directly implied by my topic thread and a majority of the post, my main confusion stems from the game library that existed when I first got the software, but is missing now. I clearly am not a "digital guru" like some of the jackasses in this forum, but I was trying to troubleshoot this problem based on what I've seen and what I now can't find.

When I installed Roxio PC Capture, every time I loaded the software I would see a window with CAPTURE (for recording video or taking screenshots) and EDIT/SHARE (for using the editing software/uploading to YouTube/etc...) and ***another window*** that had other functions including but not limited to: A list of all games "detected" by the PC Game Capture software, which also enabled (with little effectiveness I might add) you to launch the games via this list.

***THIS IS WHAT I CANNOT LOCATE ANY FURTHER***

See, it made sense to me that this part of the software would have to DETECT THE GAME I AM TRYING TO RECORD before it could do so(since when I first installed it insisted that I allow it to "search for games" on my computer) but I cannot locate it. It has ceased to be.

Also I did a digital download, so my "disc" you suggest I reinstall with doesn't exist. This causes me concern since a lot of people on these forums seem to be complaining of the software seemingly "self destructing" periodically and utterly failing to record a vast quantity of "modern games" for which the users purchased the software in the first place.

Next time you want to respond to a post do one of 2 things: Be helpful, or leave the post without being a snide &%$.

Did you perhaps consider that the beta trashed some dll (dynamic link library) files that are/were needed for the program to work properly?

Many of the appearance of spontaneous self destruct of the program can be linked to an over exuberant Registry Cleaner - either a stand alone or as part of a anti-virus program.

Did you try the Revo Uninstaller? That may be the only way to get the program to work again except to do a thorough search and deletion of all Roxio in the registry.

I did not consider this remark "Why can't this software just record everything being rendered on my screen so I can capture everything instead of crashing and burning because of some file that's apparently missing?" as a rhetorical question.

I would appreciate if you would not attack someone who is trying to help. I suggested solutions and ask a simple question -- why did you take that as an insult?