• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
michaf@monikie

Toast Titanium 11 And Itunes Playlists / Liabrary

Question

Hi

I have been creating a wedding DVD and have found a glitch when trying to import a tune onto the DVD from an iTunes playlist

Toast 11 does display the iTunes library and playlist but does not include the latest playlist showing in iTunes.

I have checked other software that have a media browser (iMovie, iPhoto, Aperture etc) and all seem to be OK except Toast 11.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

The only thing I can think of is that Toast 11 is not pulling down the latest library from iTunes when loading up.

I was able to drag and drop the playlist from Finder into Toast but it seems a long winded work around when the latest library and playlists should be visible in Toast's media browser.

Would appreciate any help in solving this prob.

Many thanks

8 answers to this question

My experience is that Toast accesses the iTunes Library when launching but does not update the information if any changes are made in iTunes after Toast is open. Quitting and relaunching Toast has updated the playlist info in the Toast media browser when I've done this.

My experience is that Toast accesses the iTunes Library when launching but does not update the information if any changes are made in iTunes after Toast is open. Quitting and relaunching Toast has updated the playlist info in the Toast media browser when I've done this.

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

I did try this but the iTunes Library / Playlists did not update on relaunch.

The only thing I could think of doing was a reinstall of Toast 11 and see if this cures the problem

Many thanks

Michaf

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

I did try this but the iTunes Library / Playlists did not update on relaunch.

The only thing I could think of doing was a reinstall of Toast 11 and see if this cures the problem

Many thanks

Michaf

You also can try trashing the Toast plist and prefs files (one of each) in your User>Library>Preferences folder. I'm presuming your iTunes library is in its default location (in the Music folder) and the tracks are on the hard drive and not in the cloud.

I've noticed that Toast will ONLY see my iTunes library and updates to playlists if the Library XML file is named "iTunes Music Library.xml". However, since some update (iTunes 10?) the library files for my iTunes are now named "iTunes Library.xml" (and "iTunes Library.itl".

Seems like Toast is looking for the wrong file now? If I manually copy my iTunes Library.xml file to iTunes Music Library.xml, everything works...

I've noticed that Toast will ONLY see my iTunes library and updates to playlists if the Library XML file is named "iTunes Music Library.xml". However, since some update (iTunes 10?) the library files for my iTunes are now named "iTunes Library.xml" (and "iTunes Library.itl".

Seems like Toast is looking for the wrong file now? If I manually copy my iTunes Library.xml file to iTunes Music Library.xml, everything works...

I'm up-to-date on everything and mine is still named "iTunes Music Library.xml".

I have this problem also, where the iTunes Media List in Toast 11 is not updated. On solution is to simple copy 'iTunes Library.xml' to 'iTunes Music Library.xml', each time that you change your iTunes library.

What about something that is permanent, and requires no effort on my part?

My first thought, create an alias from 'iTunes Library.xml', and name it 'iTunes Music Library.xml', in the same directory. However, that does not work.

What we want is an 'alias' or 'link' to the 'iTunes Library.xml' file, that is called (in Unix) a 'hard' link. I think that the MAC OS X alias is a symbolic link.

In any case, alias does not work, BUT, a 'hard' link does work, and I've tested it, and when you change the library, it does show up in the Toast 11 Media browser.

Here is how to create a 'hard' link. It requires going to the command line.

Go to Applications and click on 'Openin Terminal' or 'Terminal'.

It will have some stuff ending in the username that is used on the command line for your Mac, followed by a dollar sign, like:

Polks-iMac-i5:~ polkadoddle$

Then type in three commands...

1) Type in:

'cd Music'

(without the single quotes).

2) Type in:

'cd iTunes'

(with the capital letters for Music and iTunes).

then type in this command:

3) ln 'iTunes Library.xml' 'iTunes Music Library.xml'

That creates a hard linked 'iTunes Music Library.xml' pointing to the original file 'iTunes Library.xml'.

Restart Toast - it will now relfect the any changes to your iTunes library.

Finally, type in:

exit

to end your terminal session, or just quit from the menu bar for Terminal.

enjoy!

Jim Tom Polk

Reviving an old topic; someone let me know if I should start a new thread...

I'm running Toast 11.2 in Mavericks (10.9.5), and am having the issue described above. None of the suggested fixes help. I'm able to drag the playlist to the Toast window, but curious why Toast doesn't see my current playlists? It sees most playlists, but not ones created in the last year or two. My iTune folder has both 'iTunes Library.xml' and an 'iTunes Music Library.xml'. I wonder why that would be, and whether I could safely delete one or the other to resolve my issue? Any suggestions??

Well, answered my own question! I looked at Date Modified for both, saw that the 'iTunes Music Library.xml' hadn't been modified in a year or so, so I deleted it. Then I used the Terminal commands from jimtompolks helpful post above my first one, and boom! Back in business...

Talk amongst yourselves.

;-)

John

Edited by john-o