MarkG31

Another No Signal Problem.

Question

Well it seems that this couldn't just be a smooth installation process for me. After installing the Roxio software I've encountered problem after problem. It worked for a bit then everything went down hill. I figured let's start clean and did a partial system restore to factory settings. I downloaded hours upon hours worth of windows updates, drivers, java, flash, etc. Now after all this I still have problems, one of them which is insane.

I'm getting the whole "no signal" thing. I've searched this forum for the last 2 hours looking for something. I think I've found where the problem is. Under "Device Manager" there isn't 2 "Roxio Gamecaps" for me.. only 1. I can usually hear audio (not all the time) which makes me think something is wrong with the video portion of my Roxio. I've tried putting in the CD and repairing but nothing changed. Any suggestions? This is driving me insane along with my other problem..

Everytime I open the "capture" portion of Roxio it'll stay open for a bit and then go non-responsive. Normally I'd just close the task but this thing NEVER closes. It stats there not responding for hours. It will not close no matter how many times I end it. I can't even turn my computer off because this program just sits there. I have to forcibly power off my computer in order to solve this. This happens every time I try to fix it. I can't even get into the options sometimes because this happens.

Can anyone help me out here? I just want a nice smooth running capture card with no problems. I've dedicated hours of my life to this thing over the last 2 days with no results. I'm at wits end now so I've come here. All my options settings are right in the "capture" portion also. 480p/570(?)p/720p/1080i + NSTC_M

Thanks.

EDIT: Well something definately strange is going on.. it seems another video related program is freezing on me. I was following THIS and when I open the program linked it freezes just like Roxio does. It will not end and I have to power off my computer and restart. I must have restarted my computer 100+ times in the last 2 days. My video card / sound card drivers are updated. I don't know what else to do.

Edited by MarkG31

You are correct about the 2 entry thing in Device Manager.

If you only see 1 entry and can hear sound but don't get video than you've got a problem with the video driver.

It looks like it didn't install.

Uninstall the software.Make sure you have the device unplugged.

Now go here and follow this article to the letter.

Once you do that try installing the software again.Do this before you plug the device in.

You are correct about the 2 entry thing in Device Manager.

If you only see 1 entry and can hear sound but don't get video than you've got a problem with the video driver.

It looks like it didn't install.

Uninstall the software.Make sure you have the device unplugged.

Now go here and follow this article to the letter.

Once you do that try installing the software again.Do this before you plug the device in.

I followed your directions and the directions of that post. Only thing I couldn't do is update my CD/DVD because it wasn't on HP's website. I don't think this would be the problem since it worked before but I'm no expert.

Same thing is happening. Audio but no video. Program goes non responsive after a minute or so and will not close. I'm afraid if I get this working I'll still have a problem with the freezing. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though. Here is a picture of my device manager with the 3 "Roxio" related items I found in Sound/Video/USB

1zh1so4.jpg

These problems are starting to worry me. I play some games competitively for money which is the main reason I bought this capture card. I need to record my games as proof because a lot of people will dispute losses, make fake proof they won, etc. Pretty much try to cheat you out of money. I hoped this installation would go well because an event is coming up but it hasn't. Luckily the forums are a good support system and I hope you guys can continue to lead me in the right direction.

Edited by MarkG31

I followed your directions and the directions of that post. Only thing I couldn't do is update my CD/DVD because it wasn't on HP's website. I don't think this would be the problem since it worked before but I'm no expert.

Same thing is happening. Audio but no video. Program goes non responsive after a minute or so and will not close. I'm afraid if I get this working I'll still have a problem with the freezing. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though. Here is a picture of my device manager with the 3 "Roxio" related items I found in Sound/Video/USB

1zh1so4.jpg

These problems are starting to worry me. I play some games competitively for money which is the main reason I bought this capture card. I need to record my games as proof because a lot of people will dispute losses, make fake proof they won, etc. Pretty much try to cheat you out of money. I hoped this installation would go well because an event is coming up but it hasn't. Luckily the forums are a good support system and I hope you guys can continue to lead me in the right direction.

So, know you are seeing the 2 correct Roxio items, that's good.

Are you getting a good signal on the TV.

Have you contacted Support, they may have some suggestion's:

Telephone Support: during normal business hours* at 877-793-7471 (North America only).

*Monday - Friday, 11:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., EST.

So, know you are seeing the 2 correct Roxio items, that's good.

Are you getting a good signal on the TV.

Have you contacted Support, they may have some suggestion's:

Telephone Support: during normal business hours* at 877-793-7471 (North America only).

*Monday - Friday, 11:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., EST.

Yes I am. There hasn't been a problem with the TV signal actually. That is good news I suppose.

I've contacted support. They have elevated this problem to their second level. I am truly hoping this error can be fixed. I believe the video signal can be fixed but as I've said, the freezing program after a minute is what is worrying me.

I still believe that there is a driver issue.

How to correct it I'm not sure.

Here is what my Device Manager looks like.As you can see I have 2 entries called Roxio GameCap.One is the Audio portion and the other the video.

post-85-071332600 1330610168.jpg

If you don't get 2 entries that say Roxio GameCap then I don't think the correct driver is loading.

I still believe that there is a driver issue.

How to correct it I'm not sure.

Here is what my Device Manager looks like.As you can see I have 2 entries called Roxio GameCap.One is the Audio portion and the other the video.

post-85-071332600 1330610168.jpg

If you don't get 2 entries that say Roxio GameCap then I don't think the correct driver is loading.

I believe the same thing. Strange part about it is a Roxio Game Capture shows up and the other one says USB Audio Device. When I click the Audio Device the location says Roxio as you see in my picture. Seems as if the video drivers installed correctly yet the Audio haven't maybe? But I get audio and no video.. very confusing. Hopefully someone has a solution or support has a solution. I am waiting on an email as I type.

I was looking around trying to find some stuff and I found these 2 things. First one is when I do to the Roxio disc files. I click GAMECAP_USB_x86 which I was told is the drivers for Windows XP 32. I click the setup and click modify. There is a red X by the side of Roxio Game Capture Files. The red X means this feature will not be available. Even when I change it to make it available and install, when I go back in it's a red X again. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem or not. Second picture is my "ROXIO" program file. Just wondering if anyone can see if anything is missing. Support was supposed to send me an email today but I haven't received one. Maybe you guys are my only hope. :(

sqsiex.jpg

2dlyee.jpg

I was looking around trying to find some stuff and I found these 2 things. First one is when I do to the Roxio disc files. I click GAMECAP_USB_x86 which I was told is the drivers for Windows XP 32. I click the setup and click modify. There is a red X by the side of Roxio Game Capture Files. The red X means this feature will not be available. Even when I change it to make it available and install, when I go back in it's a red X again. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem or not. Second picture is my "ROXIO" program file. Just wondering if anyone can see if anything is missing. Support was supposed to send me an email today but I haven't received one. Maybe you guys are my only hope. :(

sqsiex.jpg

2dlyee.jpg

It is a good idea to turn on the file extensions in Windows Explorer. It really helps to indentify the files in a folder.

Who told you that "GAMECAP_USB_x86" is the drivers for Windows XP 32?

Why are you in that folder and trying to run setup?

As to the 2nd picture it only shows one folder for the whole program. There is nothing missing in that particular folder.

It is a good idea to turn on the file extensions in Windows Explorer. It really helps to indentify the files in a folder.

Who told you that "GAMECAP_USB_x86" is the drivers for Windows XP 32?

Why are you in that folder and trying to run setup?

As to the 2nd picture it only shows one folder for the whole program. There is nothing missing in that particular folder.

I was told by support to copy the CD files to my PC. I was then told to uninstall the program, enter that file and run it, then run the Roxio setup program. I've done this and nothing has changed. I still have 1 "Roxio GAMECAP" and 1 "USB Audio Device" under Sound/Video/Game in Device Manager. I do believe this is the problem.

Edited by MarkG31

Here is what the contents of the disc is.

GameCap_USB_X86 are the drivers for the USB Device in a 32 bit operating system.

GameCap_USB_X64 are the drivers for the USB Device in a 64 bit operating system.

post-97-032651500 1330643547.jpg

Here is what the contents of the disc is.

GameCap_USB_X86 are the drivers for the USB Device in a 32 bit operating system.

GameCap_USB_X64 are the drivers for the USB Device in a 64 bit operating system.

post-97-032651500 1330643547.jpg

Those 13 files on your disc are also all on mines. For some reason the device manager won't show 2 Roxio GAMECAPs. I don't know what to do about it. Any ideas?

EDIT: A USB composite device is also related to Roxio under USB. I tried 3 different ports and all have the same results.

Edited by MarkG31

If you read the instructions you don't plugin the Roxio USB Device, before installing the software that installs the correct USB Device Drivers!

When you plugin the USB Device before, windows installs generic USB Device drivers.

Open Device manager and expand Sound Video and Game Controllers, and other devices if it shows a device.

Now plugin the Roxio USB Device and watch what drivers show in Device manager.

When you have that nailed down, with the USB Device plugged in, right click and uninstall both drivers that show.

Unplug the USB Device and set it aside, reboot the PC and put the installation disc in a drive when the installer offers a repair, run it and reboot the PC. When the PC is up and running open device manager and plugin the USB Device and look for different correct drivers like below.

post-97-046211600 1330645953.jpg

If you read the instructions you don't plugin the Roxio USB Device, before installing the software that installs the correct USB Device Drivers!

When you plugin the USB Device before, windows installs generic USB Device drivers.

Open Device manager and expand Sound Video and Game Controllers, and other devices if it shows a device.

Now plugin the Roxio USB Device and watch what drivers show in Device manager.

When you have that nailed down, with the USB Device plugged in, right click and uninstall both drivers that show.

Unplug the USB Device and set it aside, reboot the PC and put the installation disc in a drive when the installer offers a repair, run it and reboot the PC. When the PC is up and running open device manager and plugin the USB Device and look for different correct drivers like below.

post-97-046211600 1330645953.jpg

Thank you for the response. I followed this exactly and here is what happened. I got to the part of plugging in the RGC and viewing device manager. When I plugged it in, a new category called "other devices" popped up. It had 2 "Roxio GAMECAPs" in it with both having a yellow question mark. I was relieved thinking this had finally solved the problem. After about 15 seconds both "Roxio GAMECAPs" from other devices were transferred into Sound/Video/Audio. Only problem was that yet again one is now called "USB Audio Device" and the other is "Roxio GAMECAP" instead of 2 RGC. I tried to recreate it a second time and it happened again. I am going to try a full uninstall and reinstallation.

Hopefully this occurence may lead to the solving of this problem.

It seems with everyones help we have located the problem for sure. The drivers don't seem to be loading or something for 1/2 of the Roxio GAMECAP in device manager. Take a look at this.

313rthd.jpg

As you see the half labeled "Roxio GAMECAP" has a driver by Roxio Technology. The other half labeled "USB Audio Device" gets a driver from Microsoft. Does anyone know how I would fix this? Is it possible for someone to upload their drivers? It seems mine aren't reading correctly or something. I just need the half of the device to have the Roxio drivers instead of generic Microsoft ones. Is there a way to force the Roxio drivers onto the other half instead of them getting Microsoft drivers?

EDIT: I also have a "USB Composite Device" under USB controllers in device manager that's location is Roxio. Here is a picture of that.

292ycew.jpg

Edited by MarkG31

I made a video showing you guys what I'm talking about.

is the link. I recommend watching in 480p and full screen.

Basically in this video I show you that everytime the one half of the Roxio GAMECAP is installed, Windows forces generic Microsoft drivers on it. As you can see, the half that is working does indeed have Roxio drivers. The problem is getting the Roxio drivers on the other half instead of having Windows assign generic Microsoft drivers to it.

I attempt to manually look for files on the "USB Audio Device" which is supposed to be the other half of the Roxio GAMECAP. As you can see, nothing from Roxio comes up. When I do this for the working Roxio GAMECAP, I am able to choose Roxio drivers. How am I supposed to get the non-working Roxio GAMECAP to use drivers from Roxio and not Microsoft? When they use the Microsoft drivers, it goes from Roxio GAMECAP to USB Audio Device.

*Sorry for the triple post. Just trying to give as much information to make this a somewhat simple process for everyone involved. Thanks.

Thank you for the response. I followed this exactly and here is what happened. I got to the part of plugging in the RGC and viewing device manager. When I plugged it in, a new category called "other devices" popped up. It had 2 "Roxio GAMECAPs" in it with both having a yellow question mark. I was relieved thinking this had finally solved the problem. After about 15 seconds both "Roxio GAMECAPs" from other devices were transferred into Sound/Video/Audio. Only problem was that yet again one is now called "USB Audio Device" and the other is "Roxio GAMECAP" instead of 2 RGC. I tried to recreate it a second time and it happened again. I am going to try a full uninstall and reinstallation.

Why don't you follow directions instead of making a movie of not doing what I told you to do?

Now plugin the Roxio USB Device and watch what drivers show in Device manager under Sound Video and Game Controllers, and other devices .

When you have that nailed down, with the USB Device plugged in, right click and uninstall both ALL drivers that show.

I made a video showing you guys what I'm talking about.

is the link. I recommend watching in 480p and full screen.

Basically in this video I show you that everytime the one half of the Roxio GAMECAP is installed, Windows forces generic Microsoft drivers on it. As you can see, the half that is working does indeed have Roxio drivers. The problem is getting the Roxio drivers on the other half instead of having Windows assign generic Microsoft drivers to it.

I attempt to manually look for files on the "USB Audio Device" which is supposed to be the other half of the Roxio GAMECAP. As you can see, nothing from Roxio comes up. When I do this for the working Roxio GAMECAP, I am able to choose Roxio drivers. How am I supposed to get the non-working Roxio GAMECAP to use drivers from Roxio and not Microsoft? When they use the Microsoft drivers, it goes from Roxio GAMECAP to USB Audio Device.

*Sorry for the triple post. Just trying to give as much information to make this a somewhat simple process for everyone involved. Thanks.

What part of post 13 do you not understand ?.

Edited by ogdens

Did you both skip post #14? I did exactly what I was told to do in post #13. I described the problem and what happened. The video was a simple recreation of what happens when I follow post #13 with Microsoft assigning generic drivers. I even said in post #13 I followed his steps exactly.

Did you both skip post #14? I did exactly what I was told to do in post #13. I described the problem and what happened. The video was a simple recreation of what happens when I follow post #13 with Microsoft assigning generic drivers. I even said in post #13 I followed his steps exactly.

You filmed it, look at it!

You only deleted one then clicked 'scan for hardware changes' on the other and went off on your own?

You filmed it, look at it!

You only deleted one then clicked 'scan for hardware changes' on the other and went off on your own?

I did not film myself doing what I was told in post #13. If I did, I would of restarted my PC twice. I followed post #13 exactly. I then came here and posted my results in post 14. Then I did a video showing how Microsoft assigns generic drivers. My video is in no way related with post #13 and I never claimed it was. It was just to make it easier on you all showing you in a video what I mean when I say Widnows sees a "Roxio GAMECAP" and then assigns generic drivers to it.

Again, I followed post #13 exactly as I was told. 2 Roxio GAMECAPs came up with yellow question marks under "Other Devices" when I did that. After 5 seconds: 1 was renamed "Roxio GAMECAP" and got Roxio drivers. 1 was renamed "USB Audio Device" and got generic Microsoft drivers.

I followed post #13 and posted my results. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix it? Windows won't assign or recognize the drivers for 1/2 of the RGC.

Edited by MarkG31

Help me, I'm a little simple. In you responses, I never saw that you had really uninstalled the wrong device drivers. Perhaps I just missed it.

Just to make sure you are plugging the device into a USB port directly and not a hub. If you have a desktop, then you are plugging it into one of the USB ports on the back of your computer.

1) You plugged in the device and went to Device Manager accoring to the instruction for the removal of the wrong drivers.

2) You right clciked on one of them and selected to delete it. You got a message saying something like are you sure and you said yes.

3) You did the same with the other .

4) You did the same with those other ones.

5) You removed the device.

6) You did a complete shutdown and start up of the computer?

7) You started the software or reinstalled it (see below) without the device. being plugged in.

8) You plugged in the device? Did you see the drivers being loaded when you plugged it in.?

What step there gave you problems or where you saw someting different.

Try this. Uninstall the program using Revo Uninstaller in the Moderate mode. It is a free uninstaller you can download from the net using the link given. Now repeat the above starting at 7.

Help me, I'm a little simple. In you responses, I never saw that you had really uninstalled the wrong device drivers. Perhaps I just missed it.

Just to make sure you are plugging the device into a USB port directly and not a hub. If you have a desktop, then you are plugging it into one of the USB ports on the back of your computer.

1) You plugged in the device and went to Device Manager accoring to the instruction for the removal of the wrong drivers.

2) You right clciked on one of them and selected to delete it. You got a message saying something like are you sure and you said yes.

7) You started the software or reinstalled it (see below) without the device. being plugged in.

8) You plugged in the device? Did you see the drivers being loaded when you plugged it in.?

Try this. Uninstall the program using Revo Uninstaller in the Moderate mode. It is a free uninstaller you can download from the net using the link given. Now repeat the above starting at 7.

Indeed. I went to device manager and removed the drivers on "Roxio GAMECAP" and "USB Audio Device" which uninstalled them. I restarted my computer. I ran the Roxio software and chose to repair. I restarted my computer again when this finished. This whole time the Roxio was not in my computer. I finally put it back in the a port in the back of my computer. I viewed Device Manager. 2 "Roxio GAMECAP" came up under "Other devices", both having yellow "?". After a few seconds, they both went to Sound/Video/Game Controllers. One was still named "Roxio GAMECAP" with Roxio drivers. One now was assigned generic Microsoft drivers by windows and is named "USB Audio Device"

The first USB slot I put it in was in the front of my computer. I'm not sure if that's a hub or not but maybe this has something to do with the problem? Thank you for the post and suggestion. I will try that now and let you know how it works.

I have broken and fixed the drivers about every way possible.

You followed post #13 to the T?

Did you run repair from the disc?

We know windows installs generic drivers if the software isn't installed correctly first!

Good luck.

post-97-082980300 1330706867.jpg

post-97-035161600 1330706890.jpg

post-97-094086300 1330707116.jpg

I have broken and fixed the drivers about every way possible.

You followed post #13 to the T?

Did you run repair from the disc?

We know windows installs generic drivers if the software isn't installed correctly first!

Good luck.

post-97-082980300 1330706867.jpg

post-97-035161600 1330706890.jpg

post-97-094086300 1330707116.jpg

Indeed I did follow post #13 exactly before. Where would I find that setting that allows me to turn off Windows installing drivers on Windows XP? Another problem is when I attempt to manually search for the Roxio drivers on the "USB Audio Device", nothing from Roxio shows up.

Here are the steps I just did in reply to sknis.

1. Uninstalled "Roxio GAMECAP" and "USB Audio Device" from my computer through Device Manager by removing the drivers.

2. Unplugged the RGC

3. Restarted my computer.

4. Uninstalled all RGC software using Revo Uninstaller. It found traces left over and I removed them too.

5. Restarted my computer.

6. Installed Roxio to my computer using the disc that came in the box.

7. Restarted my computer.

8. Opened Device Manager.

9. Plugged in RGC.

Same thing is happening. 2 "Roxio GAMECAP" come up under "Other Devices" with yellow "?". They are switched to Sound/Video/Game Controller where one stays "Roxio GAMECAP" and gets Roxio drivers. One gets Microsoft drivers and becomes "USB Audio Device". For some reason my computer will not recognize the Roxio drivers for the other half of it so Windows gives it generic Microsoft drivers.

Edited by MarkG31

Searched for about 3 hours just now for people having similiar problems with any devices. Didn't find any help. Is it so hard to just have a working capture card. :(

I even tried disabling Windows from installing drivers automatically but nothing helps because the one half of the RGC simply will not recognize it's drivers. I'm starting to think something is corrupt and half of the drivers aren't being installed or something. I simply cannot locate them.

Does anyone know in what folder drivers are stored? I can navigate to this file and screenshot the contents. Someone can tell me if I'm missing anything compared to them.

Edited by MarkG31