Question

See, now, I bought my gamecap from the website and they mailed it to my house, and I have my disk, and my cd-key, but after installing the software I got no sound, so I checked my recording devices to up the volume but the gamecap wasn't listed, then I checked my device manager and it says I don't have a driver for my gamecap, so I tried doing a repair install, still says i don't have a driver, so then i tried telling device manager to install the driver manually from the disk, it can't find one. so that's where I am now.

Win 7 sp1

did download the auto-update for gamecap

anything I missed?

See, now, I bought my gamecap from the website and they mailed it to my house, and I have my disk, and my cd-key, but after installing the software I got no sound, so I checked my recording devices to up the volume but the gamecap wasn't listed, then I checked my device manager and it says I don't have a driver for my gamecap, so I tried doing a repair install, still says i don't have a driver, so then i tried telling device manager to install the driver manually from the disk, it can't find one. so that's where I am now.

Win 7 sp1

did download the auto-update for gamecap

anything I missed?

Wade through this thread and see if you can get it fixed?

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/80743-another-no-signal-problem/page__pid__403426#entry403426

The problem looks the same as the thread you linked me to, when I plug in my gamecap I get

one Roxio device that installs properly,

one Roxio device that can't find drivers,

and I get one "USB Composite device (Standard USB Host Controller)" with a windows driver.

I did try uninstalling all three of these, then unplugging the gamecap, rebooting, running a repair install from disk, rebooting, and then plugging in the gamecap. Same result

I also repeated the above while completely uninstalling the gamecap software, rebooting and installing from disk. Same result.

The problem looks the same as the thread you linked me to, when I plug in my gamecap I get

one Roxio device that installs properly,

one Roxio device that can't find drivers,

and I get one "USB Composite device (Standard USB Host Controller)" with a windows driver.

I did try uninstalling all three of these, then unplugging the gamecap, rebooting, running a repair install from disk, rebooting, and then plugging in the gamecap. Same result

I also repeated the above while completely uninstalling the gamecap software, rebooting and installing from disk. Same result.

Have you tried plugging it into a USB 2.0 port on your computer?

Yeah, but good call I suppose I could have accidentally jammed it into my eSATA port by mistake.

And in case you need to know, my computer and my monitor are connected to a power supply, and each other! I have both a keyboard and a mouse as well.

If there are anymore basic things you need me to check please let me know!

Yeah, but good call I suppose I could have accidentally jammed it into my eSATA port by mistake.

And in case you need to know, my computer and my monitor are connected to a power supply, and each other! I have both a keyboard and a mouse as well.

If there are anymore basic things you need me to check please let me know!

Nope, you told me quite enough.

That isn't an Enhanced USB Host Controller.

Good luck getting squared away.

Oh does the specific wording of that mean something to you the computer guru that it might not for the average user? well thank you for eventually letting me in on that!

odd that a computer which according to the manufacturer has only usb 2.0 ports would have, well anything other than usb 2.0 ports.

but at least it's something to look into.

Oh does the specific wording of that mean something to you the computer guru that it might not for the average user? well thank you for eventually letting me in on that!

odd that a computer which according to the manufacturer has only usb 2.0 ports would have, well anything other than usb 2.0 ports.

but at least it's something to look into.

Go into your Device Managerd and you should see this :

post-68-039239800 1331252573.png

If your Device Manager shows an ENHANCED USB Host Controller, the system has High Speed USB (USB 2.0) capability.

Edited by ogdens

post-102899-038221600 1331255390.png

Okay, this particular time around neither of the roxio devices installed properly, but I assure you the video one works most of the time.

as you can see i do have the enhanced usb host controllers and dell says that all eight of my usb ports are at least supposed to be 2.0

when i plug in the gamecap it attempts to install three devices, two roxio and the third one seen here, I've only seen two roxio mentioned on these forums.

and the whole problem is that without that second roxio installing (bearing in mind that the first one usually does work) I get no sound into the computer from the gamecap.

And with any luck my image will me big enough to read but not so large as to be obnoxious.

Good luck finding a solution. I will be monitoring this as to see if it may help me. I have the same problem with drivers not loading/being recognized and it seems I'm probably going to have to return this Roxio. Support hasn't answered in over a week and the problem continues on.

Good luck finding a solution. I will be monitoring this as to see if it may help me. I have the same problem with drivers not loading/being recognized and it seems I'm probably going to have to return this Roxio. Support hasn't answered in over a week and the problem continues on.

You're lucky, support answers me but it's stuff like "do you get sound to the TV if you remove the gamecap and plug directly into the television?"

Sometime yesterday I got one that said to make sure the device was plugged in during installation, that being the opposite of what I'm hearing here I've asked three times for support to verify that statement but gotten no response about it.

This may be something, the cable that came with my gamecap does not have the usb 2.0 logo on it, only the regular usb logo. Would this prevent my computer from connecting properly? I'd test it myself but I don't think I have any 2.0 cable.

This may be something, the cable that came with my gamecap does not have the usb 2.0 logo on it, only the regular usb logo. Would this prevent my computer from connecting properly? I'd test it myself but I don't think I have any 2.0 cable.

I'm sure Roxio bundled a proper cable with the product or we would of heard about it by now.

You can't tell by looking at a cable, it has to do with the quality of the wires used and especially the shielding against electrical interference. That is the difference in a USB 1 and USB 2 cable.

You need to go back to the link I posted in post number 2.

Everything needed to fix your and MarkG31 problem is in that thread.

Sometime yesterday I got one that said to make sure the device was plugged in during installation, that being the opposite of what I'm hearing here I've asked three times for support to verify that statement but gotten no response about it.

And to answer your question, the USB Device stays unplugged until the software is installed correctly.

If you plug in the USB device before, windows operating systems will install generic drivers and you end up where you are.

Ah, no I get one roxio gamecap device with roxio drivers, and a second roxio gamecap device with NO drivers, MarkG31 gets one roxio gamecap with roxio drivers and one usb audio device with windows drivers. And then we both get a USB composite device that I still don't know if we're supposed to have or not?

Also, went through the checklist again,

the windows update and directX webpages tell me to use my windows update program, which I have and it does say I'm up to date.

can't find a WMP 12 update on the page linked to so I opened WMP and hit check for updates, up to date

updated my video card drivers three days ago when I started this, no new drivers since then

checked the dell website for audio driver updates for my computer, none listed

same for burner firmware updates

verified that I am logged in as an administrator

used msconfig to turn off EVERYTHING

made sure that the previous install of gamecap had been removed

rebooted

installed gamecap

rebooted

Plugged in gamecap, same result, unplugged gamecap

uninstalled drivers on all three roxio gamecap related device entries (only the working roxio one gives an option to delete when uninstalling, the other two only uninstall)

rebooted

ran roxio gamecap installer in repair mode

rebooted

plugged in gamecap, same result, one roxio device working, one roxio device NO drivers, one USB composite device.

Edited by Wmcloonan

Ah, no I get one roxio gamecap device with roxio drivers, and a second roxio gamecap device with NO drivers, MarkG31 gets one roxio gamecap with roxio drivers and one usb audio device with windows drivers. And then we both get a USB composite device that I still don't know if we're supposed to have or not?

Also, went through the checklist again,

the windows update and directX webpages tell me to use my windows update program, which I have and it does say I'm up to date.

can't find a WMP 12 update on the page linked to so I opened WMP and hit check for updates, up to date

updated my video card drivers three days ago when I started this, no new drivers since then

checked the dell website for audio driver updates for my computer, none listed

same for burner firmware updates

verified that I am logged in as an administrator

used msconfig to turn off EVERYTHING

made sure that the previous install of gamecap had been removed

rebooted

installed gamecap

rebooted

Plugged in gamecap, same result, unplugged gamecap

uninstalled drivers on all three roxio gamecap related device entries (only the working roxio one gives an option to delete when uninstalling, the other two only uninstall)

rebooted

ran roxio gamecap installer in repair mode

rebooted

plugged in gamecap, same result, one roxio device working, one roxio device NO drivers, one USB composite device.

This is what you want.

post-97-085182600 1331488824.jpg

Your wrong about uninstalling the wrong and correct driver from Device Manager. You right click uninstall all three, there is no delete in the right click.

If you get that simple instruction wrong how do I know you followed the rest correctly?

Like I told MarkG31 in his thread I can't do it for you. You have to read understand and do it yourself!

post-102899-097390000 1331490128.png

Do you see the checkbox for delete? I don't know if I'm supposed to check that or not, but I do know that it exists.

I know you can't do it for me, that's why I'm trying to give you all the information I can about what happens when I READ and FOLLOW your instructions.

Did you even read through the post I linked you too? MarkG31 post.

If you won't or can't follow instructions I'm wasting my time, kapish?

If you read the instructions you don't plugin the Roxio USB Device, before installing the software that installs the correct USB Device Drivers!

When you plugin the USB Device before, windows installs generic USB Device drivers.

Open Device manager and expand Sound Video and Game Controllers, and other devices if it shows a device.

Now plugin/unplug plugin/unplug the Roxio USB Device and watch what drivers show in Device manager.

When you have that nailed down, with the USB Device plugged in, right click and uninstall both drivers that show.

Unplug the USB Device and set it aside, reboot the PC and put the installation disc in a drive when the installer offers a repair, run it and reboot the PC. When the PC is up and running open device manager and plugin the USB Device and look and see if the correct drivers installed.

post-97-058693800 1331491339.jpg

post-97-070437100 1331491555.jpg

post-97-038241700 1331491897.jpg

Edited by cdanteek

and then click okay on the "confirm device uninstall" dialog box yes that's what I've been doing because that's what your instructions say

Yes, that is what I am doing.

correction, I am also rightclicking on and uninstalling the USB composite device entry also affiliated with the gamecap.

doesn't matter tried it without rightclicking and uninstalling the usb composite device, no change.

Edited by Wmcloonan

Welp, getting late in the day for me, I'll check back tomorrow and see if anyone has anymore ideas, now I get to go defrag my HDD, again, cause support thinks that might help.

Yes, that is what I am doing.

correction, I am also rightclicking on and uninstalling the USB composite device entry also affiliated with the gamecap.

doesn't matter tried it without rightclicking and uninstalling the usb composite device, no change.

Welp, getting late in the day for me, I'll check back tomorrow and see if anyone has anymore ideas, now I get to go defrag my HDD, again, cause support thinks that might help.

post-97-051525800 1331494465.gif

Good luck..... :rolleyes:

This is what you want.

post-97-085182600 1331488824.jpg

Your wrong about uninstalling the wrong and correct driver from Device Manager. You right click uninstall all three, there is no delete in the right click.

If you get that simple instruction wrong how do I know you followed the rest correctly?

Like I told MarkG31 in his thread I can't do it for you. You have to read understand and do it yourself!

I've tried everything you posted in the other topic more than 10 times. I followed your steps exactly. I understand it and I've done it step by step. It just doesn't solve the problem.

I've tried everything you posted in the other topic more than 10 times. I followed your steps exactly. I understand it and I've done it step by step. It just doesn't solve the problem.

Only other suggestion would be use revo-uninstaller (in moderate mode) at the link below and uninstall it, you would still need to uninstall the wrong drivers you see in device manager . Then re install the software leaving the USB Device on a shelf until the program is reinstalled and you have rebooted the PC.

http://www.revounins...e_download.html

Before installing,make sure your anti-virus/spyware programs are turned off . Disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG. This will disable any unnecessary background or system tray applications from loading.

A addition to ogdens suggestion.

If you run a x64 bit operating system you want to download the Revo Uninstaller Pro version. The other one does not fully support a x64 bit operating system.

Okay, first off, I want to thank you for taking the time to try to help me with this, I know I'm a little cranky cause my gamecap isn't working but I do appreciate the time you spend.

Like MarkG31 I've made a video of what occurs when I follow your instructions regarding running a repair install. Though my video is of the actual steps performed not just the end result.

CAUTION, it's a little on the loud side, totally my fault...

Repair Install Video

hopefully you can see where I'm going wrong.

And I want to apologize for yesterday I honestly thought that the right-click uninstall and the open properties go to driver tab and click uninstall were performing the same function and thought the second method provided a better visual aid.

And thank you for the tip about revo PRO, I hadn't noticed that the free one isn't fully 64bit compatible, I'm gonna go try running that.

Edited by Wmcloonan