irish_songbird

MyDVD/AddMovie/Quicktime freezes

Question

I am running the most current version of Easy Media Creator v8.0. I want to create a DVD from a Quicktime movie (.mov). I have QuickTime Pro (the latest version).

When I try to add a Quicktime movie to the DVD project, it adds it to the directory tree on the left-hand side, but not to the visual of the DVD Menu. If I try to Preview it, it freezes my system. I can't burn it.

Sometimes when I add it, it doesn't even add it to the left-hand side, it just freezes up.

I waited 15-20 minutes for it to respond, and it never does.

This works fine with Windows Media videos, I just can't get it to work with QuickTime. My movie file is only 55MB.

In case it matters, I'm running Microsoft Windows XP SP2, I have 2GB of memory (you can never have enough memory) and a Pentium M processor.

Please help me!

Thanks,

irish_songbird

8 answers to this question

I am running the most current version of Easy Media Creator v8.0. I want to create a DVD from a Quicktime movie (.mov). I have QuickTime Pro (the latest version).

When I try to add a Quicktime movie to the DVD project, it adds it to the directory tree on the left-hand side, but not to the visual of the DVD Menu. If I try to Preview it, it freezes my system. I can't burn it.

Sometimes when I add it, it doesn't even add it to the left-hand side, it just freezes up.

I waited 15-20 minutes for it to respond, and it never does.

This works fine with Windows Media videos, I just can't get it to work with QuickTime. My movie file is only 55MB.

In case it matters, I'm running Microsoft Windows XP SP2, I have 2GB of memory (you can never have enough memory) and a Pentium M processor.

Please help me!

Thanks,

irish_songbird

Try adding the mov files to VideoWave (do any editing you want) and then output it as a mpg2 for DVD best. You output to a file using the icon that looks like a film reel. The mov files should encode to the mpg2 which than can be added to MyDVD. Your way should work but I've never been able to get mov files to work well in this program.

Edited by sknis

Try adding the mov files to VideoWave (do any editing you want) and then output it as a mpg2 for DVD best. You output to a file using the icon that looks like a film reel. The mov files should encode to the mpg2 which than can be added to MyDVD. Your way should work but I've never been able to get mov files to work well in this program.

Thanks for responding. When I add the mov file to VideoWave, it adds it without freezing up. But when I click on <Play>, I get the audio, but no video. Any suggestions?

And not to be bitter, but shouldn't they fix that problem with the mov files? Isn't Quicktime one of the most widely used formats, and isn't Roxio's product supposed to be one of the best? I've had this product for 5 days, and have yet to get it to do anything but burn windows media files, which doesn't help me because most of my stuff is in Quicktime. I haven't even managed to successfully burn any video I have captured using the dazzle device, which is why I bought this thing in the first place, but that's another problem altogether. Okay, I admit it, I'm a little bitter, but all will be forgiven if I can get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

irish_songbird

Thanks for responding. When I add the mov file to VideoWave, it adds it without freezing up. But when I click on <Play>, I get the audio, but no video. Any suggestions?

And not to be bitter, but shouldn't they fix that problem with the mov files? Isn't Quicktime one of the most widely used formats, and isn't Roxio's product supposed to be one of the best? I've had this product for 5 days, and have yet to get it to do anything but burn windows media files, which doesn't help me because most of my stuff is in Quicktime. I haven't even managed to successfully burn any video I have captured using the dazzle device, which is why I bought this thing in the first place, but that's another problem altogether. Okay, I admit it, I'm a little bitter, but all will be forgiven if I can get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

irish_songbird

Try updating your video drivers, as well as making sure your video card is supported by EMC 8.

And I believe mpeg or avi are more widely used than Quicktime.

To fix your problems with the Dazzle, you're going to have to be more specific -- What error messages, where did you get the captured files from, how did you import them (Like, what type of file), etc...

Some computer specs couldn't hurt either. (I'd rather you posted the Dazzle stuff in a different thread though, as it IS a separate problem)

Try updating your video drivers, as well as making sure your video card is supported by EMC 8.

And I believe mpeg or avi are more widely used than Quicktime.

To fix your problems with the Dazzle, you're going to have to be more specific -- What error messages, where did you get the captured files from, how did you import them (Like, what type of file), etc...

Some computer specs couldn't hurt either. (I'd rather you posted the Dazzle stuff in a different thread though, as it IS a separate problem)

Ok, sorry about the rant, here's all the info I can figure out. I'm having problems just WRITING a DVD, let alone adding video to VideoWave.

I have a Dell Latitude D505 (laptop) with an "internal" NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A drive. I have 2GB of memory, a 5400rpm hard drive (160GB). I have an external USB hard drive that's 7200rpm (250GB).

I don't know that I have a video card per se; my display adapter says it's an Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller. I looked on the Dell sight, and they have an upgrade for "Intel Extreme Graphics 855 GM", which sounds like the right thing, what do you think?

I can't find any firmware upgrades for my DVD+RW drive. According to one site, the most current version of firmware for it is 104D, which is what I have. Here's a link to the specs, which will hopefully mean something to you.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/stor...24/en/specs.htm

As for the Dazzle stuff, I will post it in a different thread, I was just whining because that's how I got into this mess. Sorry about the misdirection.

I'm also sorry it took so long to respond to your post; my external hard drive failed (separate problem) and I had to go off and learn how to do data recovery really fast (success!).

I now find, by the way, that I can not even write a bunch of data files (.m4v's, if it matters) to a DVD as data. Sometimes it will write them, but won't close the DVD, it gives me errors, recommending I buy a different brand of DVD's. Same when doing DL (and we all know there are only like 2 brands for that, right)? I am using Fiju "up to 8x" DVD+R's. I went out and bought some TDK (1-16x), and it won't write to those at all.

Do you think harassing Dell into giving me a new DVD drive would help this problem? The only thing I've managed to do successfully with this Roxio software so far is create CD-R's, and I did manage to get one movie onto a DVD by creating an ISO file and then burning the DVD from the image. It's hard for me to believe that Roxio's software could be so buggy that I can't write data to DVD+R's or much of anything else for that matter.

I'd welcome any advice you can give me. Also, an opinion about whether the video driver listed on Dell's website is right would be helpful. I write computer applications, and haven't done anything with video stuff before, so this is a mystery to me. I could, however, write an application to track all the errors I'm having, and provide a metrics report complete with charts and graphs. :)

Thanks in advance,

irish_songbird (Robin)

You can get updated video drivers from Intel's website. However, that chipset does not fully support DirectX9 so Videowave/MyDVD should be set for software render.

Looking at Dell's website, I found Latitude D505 with NEC ND-5100a which has a firmware update. Click on Removeable Media Storage Devices.

Edited by ggrussell

You can get updated video drivers from Intel's website. However, that chipset does not fully support DirectX9 so Videowave/MyDVD should be set for software render.

Looking at Dell's website, I found Latitude D505 with NEC ND-5100a which has a firmware update. Click on Removeable Media Storage Devices.

I updated my video drivers. My Roxio software is set for software rendering.

The link you provide for an update to my DVD-RW drive is inaccurate. I have the 6100, not the 5100. As far as I can tell, I have the most current driver available. Thanks for trying, though!

I decided the problems I was having with my DVD writer were the writer itself, so I went out and purchased an external USB Memorex 16x DVD writer. This does seem to have fixed the problems with creating the DVD's. Apparently the DVD-RW drive in my laptop is too old or too slow, and NEC hasn't provided any firmware updates.

However, the problem I originally posted here still exists -- I can not add Quicktime movies to Videowave or to a MyDVD project. Let me be more specific, though. I can add a very small one, like 15MB. When I try adding one that is 50MB (which is still relatively small), it freezes. I thought maybe I was not being patient enough, so I left it for an hour or so, but when I came back, it was still stuck.

I should also include here, in case it's relevant, that I own Quicktime Pro, and have the most current version available.

I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks,

irish_songbird

**UPDATE**

After doing some trial and error: It will add some of my files, but not many of them. The hi-resolution stuff it's not as happy with. Some of the videos I got off of the Sony Bravia website (the commercial where they shoot 100,000 rubber balls down a hilly city street in San Francisco) http://www.bravia-advert.com/balls/ . Some of the low-res ones work (the "making of" videos). One of them comes up and says the files I selected contain missing or invalid video streams. The high-res ones don't work at all. I also have some movie trailers. So I'm not dealing with anything ultra-fancy, or so I thought. I don't know what the pattern is. Is there some limit to the resolution that VideoWave can handle with QuickTime movies? I'm not trying to edit the videos really, I just wanted to write them to a DVD so I could watch them on my TV. I can't add any of them to MyDVD.

Edited by irish_songbird

Just make sure you have the latest Quicktime 7. Unless you have a DVD player that plays HD Divx or HD WMV, all burned DVDs are standard definition.

Just make sure you have the latest Quicktime 7. Unless you have a DVD player that plays HD Divx or HD WMV, all burned DVDs are standard definition.

I do have Quicktime Pro 7, thanks.

I removed EMC8 from my computer, and then removed all of the registry settings left after the deinstallation (there were hundreds), then installed EMC9. Now I can add the Quicktime movies to MyDVD project. It's a miracle!

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

irish_songbird