• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
lakewoodlawnman

What Media Are You Using?

Question

6 answers to this question

It's a well know fact that Taiyo Yuden is the best media. Often you can find it for the same price as cheaper media too. If it's important data or video, I wouldn't use anything else.

On the MTR Forum I read that Taiyo Yuden doesn't make DL discs. Anyway, can't get them here so I try to get Verbatim from Mitsubishi Chemical instead. Also, I got a pressy from someone containing a small spindle of Imation DVD-R's and two boxes of Sentinel CDR's and they both burn fine with Toast 7 so far...

Different subject, but on the same forum I also read that DL-R discs usually won't play on standalone DVD players, which could explain my film problem. Something about a marker of some sort not being present on the blank disc. Bummer!

If you are using DVD+R DL, I would only use the Verbatim. For DVD-R DL, they will play if the book type is set to DVD-ROM, but the layer breaker can't be set correctly and they will often not play correctly.

If you are using DVD+R DL, I would only use the Verbatim. For DVD-R DL, they will play if the book type is set to DVD-ROM, but the layer breaker can't be set correctly and they will often not play correctly.

Can you be more specific - what precisely do you mean by "layer breaker"?

Michael

Dual Layer disc have a layer break set so that the DVD Player knows when to switch. DVD-R DL must have the first layer burned completely, then the remaining data is burned on the second layer.

A DVD+R DL must have 2 equal layers. If 7GB of data are burned, each layer must have 3.5GB.

However, a DVD-Video must have the layer break set on a ECC Block, be non-seamless, etc. Toast will try to use the original layer break, but because the -R DL and +R DL have these layer limitations, Toast will set a new layer break in the correct location.

DVD-R DL just do not work well because of these restrictions.