exotic400

Videowave For Roxio 2012

Question

I've been using Roxio video editor for about 8 year's. I recently upgraded to Roxio 2012 while using Roxio 7 regularly because of a few options.

I noticed that any video over 1.5gb or 2.5gb's jams up and moves slowly to the point where you don't see the video fast forwarding or rewinding frame by frame as it plays (You see it playing backwards or forwards.) When you press the play play in the editing window, it takes about 10 seconds to actually play, and 15 seconds to go from frame to frame either forwards or backwards. On average, the typical video that's edited can be done in about 3 to 5 minutes depending on the length of it and how organized you are, but now, the 2.5gb or 5.5gb video's (1 or 2 hours in length) take a torturous anywhere between a full hour to 2 hours. Is there any reason why Roxio video editor (Videowave) jams up and goes slowly?

Usually, any video I edit from my tv tuner is either in mpeg1 or mpeg2 format at 480x720 before it gets "Rendered" or converted to an mpg (VCD) format.

Is there an update I need to download for the video editor to work better? Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

My computer performance is way above the typical specifications on the box, so that isn't the problem.

Edited by exotic400

6 answers to this question

I've been using Roxio video editor for about 8 year's. I recently upgraded to Roxio 2012 while using Roxio 7 regularly because of a few options.

I noticed that any video over 1.5gb or 2.5gb's jams up and moves slowly to the point where you don't see the video fast forwarding or rewinding frame by frame as it plays (You see it playing backwards or forwards.) When you press the play play in the editing window, it takes about 10 seconds to actually play, and 15 seconds to go from frame to frame either forwards or backwards. On average, the typical video that's edited can be done in about 3 to 5 minutes depending on the length of it and how organized you are, but now, the 2.5gb or 5.5gb video's (1 or 2 hours in length) take a torturous anywhere between a full hour to 2 hours. Is there any reason why Roxio video editor (Videowave) jams up and goes slowly?

Usually, any video I edit from my tv tuner is either in mpeg1 or mpeg2 format at 480x720 before it gets "Rendered" or converted to an mpg (VCD) format.

Is there an update I need to download for the video editor to work better? Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

My computer performance is way above the typical specifications on the box, so that isn't the problem.

Then how else do you explain the slow performance :huh: It isn't the software...

maybe if you list your PC specs, including your Video Card as well as its' software version we might be able to work with you this ;)

If you are loading and editing a long file. it takes a long time to actually get the file into Video Wave. The visual shows up long before the audio is completely loaded.

If you try to work on a project that is NOT fully loaded, then you can get the performance you are experiencing. I have a friend that has a computer that minimilly meets the requirements and he sees this all the time.

Use the free "Speccy" (link) to post your computer specification. Consider adding some memory if you can; it will help.

Load the file and walk away for somethign to drink.

My PC spec's are AMD Athlon II X4 640 (Quad core) Processor 3.0ghz with 4gig ram.

As far as the video loading goes, no matter what length the video length is (The longest video I've edited was 5 hours long,) they all load fine, but when you put something longer than an hour and a half or two hours in the video editing box, it fast forwards and rewinds, but you don't see it doing that unless you have something and hour or less loaded up.

Another problem I'm having is that when the video editor is opened in the editing box, the memory usage goes all the way up to 240mb or more, sometimes even freezing, causing me to have to end it in the processes area and then start over (I always save my project after every move I make so I don't have to start over.)

Edited by exotic400

Sure sounds like the Video Card you didn't list :huh:

Likewise the HHD free space is important in long files...

Keep in mind that VideoWave only loads a window of a long file into RAM! Since files can exceed 10 GB for a 1 hour file, no PC can "load" a file into RAM.

The result is that as you move to the edges of the 'window', the file is swapped about to the temp file on your HDD. ;)

From the trial and error's I've been doing, Roxio 2012 has a problem loading mpeg 1 and mpeg 2 videos (700x480) normally. If you convert a 2 to 5 hour mpeg 1 and mpeg 2 video to a VCD format after taping something on a TV tuner like Hauppage or something similar to a usb on the market, the VCD format doesn't jam up. If you load an mpeg 1 or mpeg 2 up, you can anticipate a jam up to crash and reload, or, repetitious few second jam ups and then frees itself and then loads normally but still makes the video skip A LOT. VCD doesn't do this, in fact, I've never had a problem with VCD, .wmv or mp4. You can't load avi's because it doesn't accept the format. All you'll see are red lines.

As far as the computer performance goes, I'm also using an hp DV6.That one gives the same results.

From the trial and error's I've been doing, Roxio 2012 has a problem loading mpeg 1 and mpeg 2 videos (700x480) normally. If you convert a 2 to 5 hour mpeg 1 and mpeg 2 video to a VCD format after taping something on a TV tuner like Hauppage or something similar to a usb on the market, the VCD format doesn't jam up. If you load an mpeg 1 or mpeg 2 up, you can anticipate a jam up to crash and reload, or, repetitious few second jam ups and then frees itself and then loads normally but still makes the video skip A LOT. VCD doesn't do this, in fact, I've never had a problem with VCD, .wmv or mp4. You can't load avi's because it doesn't accept the format. All you'll see are red lines.

As far as the computer performance goes, I'm also using an hp DV6.That one gives the same results.

VCD (mpeg1) is very low quality video and is hardly used anymore.

I have a HP DV6 laptop and have absolutely no problems playing/editing any mpeg2 video, doesn't matter if it's 1 minute or 2 hours.