Disc Copy

Dr. Pepper 6044

Question

My first attempt to copy a dvd went well, (took a long time). Then copy went to the final time and it failed. The disc is my latest and shinneyest new COASTER!!!

Try choosing Save as Disc Image and then burn the resulting .toast file to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

Try choosing Save as Disc Image and then burn the resulting .toast file to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

Hi tsantee. As in Creator, writing a .iso file fills up the hdd with an image that is useable only to write a disc (as far as I know). In Creator, I am used to putting an original disc in one drive and a blank one in the other and clicking on 'Copy' and it copies directly. I was able to do that only once so far in Toast.

What I really want to do is to save my recorded dvd's to a .toast or whatever it takes to archive the data on an archive hdd for use such as browse and play from that hdd, then also make a copy as needed. Does that make sense? and is this a practical function in Toast?

I've commented/questioned in another thread here about copying dvds.

Thanks, Bill

Edited by Dr. Pepper 6044

Hi tsantee. As in Creator, writing a .iso file fills up the hdd with an image that is useable only to write a disc (as far as I know). In Creator, I am used to putting an original disc in one drive and a blank one in the other and clicking on 'Copy' and it copies directly. I was able to do that only once so far in Toast.

What I really want to do is to save my recorded dvd's to a .toast or whatever it takes to archive the data on an archive hdd for use such as browse and play from that hdd, then also make a copy as needed. Does that make sense? and is this a practical function in Toast?

I've commented/questioned in another thread here about copying dvds.

Thanks, Bill

That makes sense and it works with Toast. I made several copies of DVDs last week by having the source in one drive copying to the new disc in a second drive. As for disc images, the .toast disc image can be renamed .iso in the Finder if you want. Even without renaming you can control-click on it in the Finder and choose Mount It from the contextual menu that appears. This mounts the disc image as if a DVD disc is inserted. The disc image also can be mounted by selecting it with the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window or by choosing Mount Disc Image from the Toast Utilities menu.

That makes sense and it works with Toast. I made several copies of DVDs last week by having the source in one drive copying to the new disc in a second drive. As for disc images, the .toast disc image can be renamed .iso in the Finder if you want. Even without renaming you can control-click on it in the Finder and choose Mount It from the contextual menu that appears. This mounts the disc image as if a DVD disc is inserted. The disc image also can be mounted by selecting it with the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window or by choosing Mount Disc Image from the Toast Utilities menu.

Hi, Thanks for your quick reply. I'm sorry, I didn't mean that I want .iso files because I like them.. Not so. I could do nothing with them in Creator. Your suggestion that a similar thing here in toast leaves a .toast file that is useable is great news. I guess the 'mounting' thing is a Mac name I haven't gotten the grasp of. What is 'mounting'?

I just need some direction that works. I am still trying to follow a list of things to do to capture a video file from the web. The directions were written for Toast 10. It takes many tries to get the media browser to come up, then it goes away at will and I have to play around to get it back. I realize that is another thread topic, but I am so mad at Roxio for not giving directions. ''Media Browser will automatically begin capturing the video.'' Ok... where is it? the next direction is: "Once the video has been captured into the Media Browser, add it to a video project and treat it like any other video clip where you can trim, rename, convert and/or burn." Again, that sounds good, but How can I add it???? I hate directions that just leave me hanging!!!

Please help. Thanks, Bill

Hi, Thanks for your quick reply. I'm sorry, I didn't mean that I want .iso files because I like them.. Not so. I could do nothing with them in Creator. Your suggestion that a similar thing here in toast leaves a .toast file that is useable is great news. I guess the 'mounting' thing is a Mac name I haven't gotten the grasp of. What is 'mounting'?

I just need some direction that works. I am still trying to follow a list of things to do to capture a video file from the web. The directions were written for Toast 10. It takes many tries to get the media browser to come up, then it goes away at will and I have to play around to get it back. I realize that is another thread topic, but I am so mad at Roxio for not giving directions. ''Media Browser will automatically begin capturing the video.'' Ok... where is it? the next direction is: "Once the video has been captured into the Media Browser, add it to a video project and treat it like any other video clip where you can trim, rename, convert and/or burn." Again, that sounds good, but How can I add it???? I hate directions that just leave me hanging!!!

Please help. Thanks, Bill

Mounting is what happens when a hard drive is connected to your Mac or when you insert a disc that has content or when you open a .dmg file that contains a software installer. When something is mounted it appears in the Finder with a different icon than when you see a folder or file. Unmounting is the same as ejecting. Select a mounted item and when you drag it to the trash the trash can becomes an eject icon. While most things mount automatically or by double-clicking (on a .dmg file) the .toast disc image do not mount that way. Toast installs a couple Finder contextual menu items called Toast It and Mount It. The first is a short cut to adding something to Toast. Mount It causes the Mac to see the contents of the .toast file identical to if you had inserted a disc. So a mounted .toast file of a video DVD project will appear to the Mac as if a video DVD was inserted in the optical drive.

As for the Web video process, I'm uncertain what you haven't yet figured out by trial and error. Let's say you want to make a video DVD of some clips downloaded from the Internet. Choose DVD video as the project type in the Toast Video window. The Media Browser can be viewed in two ways. One is where it is attached to the main Toast window and is accessed by clicking the Media button that's next to the Options button. The other way (my preference) is for the Media Browser to be a separate window. You create this by clicking the small icon that's to the right of the Media button.

In the Media Browser click the Video tab. Scroll down the upper list and select Web Video. The bottom part of the Media Browser can be resized to show the captured videos a little better. This is done by dragging the bottom right corner of the browser window to resize it and then to click and drag on the bar between the upper and lower half of the browser to set how much of the window is used by one or the other portion.

When you play a video in Safari or whatever browser you use, it will appear in the Toast Media Browser if it is a supported format. When the video is done playing, click on its thumbnail in the Media Browser to select it. At the bottom of the browser there is a + icon that can be clicked to add one or more selected videos to the main Toast window. There also is a play icon for doing a quick view playback of the video in the browser. If you control-click on a thumbnail you'll see the option to display the video's file in the Finder. To delete a video you need to locate it in the Finder and drag it to the Trash. I'm not sure but Toast might also automatically delete the videos when Toast quits. I always delete them manually.

When the video is in the main Toast window you can click the Edit button to see what I call a trimmer. It lets you select the start and ending point in the video and also to place markers anywhere in between that tells Toast to exclude those marked segments. When you are in the editor you also can mark the frame you want to appear as the video's thumbnail image in the DVD's menu. Another way to select that image is in the main Toast window click on the thumbnail image and a scroll bar appears. Wherever you move the scroll bar becomes the image that shows in the DVD menu.

If you wanted to save the web videos to your computer rather than make a DVD then start with Video Files selected as the project in the Convert window instead of being in the Video window.

Roxio did include some tutorials with Toast 11 which is more than they've done with previous versions. There also are some tutorials on Roxio's MyMoments site that includes one dealing with Web videos. Click this link..

kThank you for such a detailed explanation.

I am on my home pc now, so will have to go to the iMac and bring this up and see if I can see what you're talking about. I also have to redownload toast 11 because the Roxio agent told me to delete the entire toast program and re-download 11.0.4 and not allow update to 11.0.6. But there was no link supplied. Over the weekend another mail came saying go around another way.

The link you supplied at the end .. I read it all. The directions were knida vague, but I'll follow and try to figure out. The example was to save to iTunes and iPad.. What if everyone doesn't use iTunes? What if I want to capture/convert to mp4 with the option to play or burn to dvd? Not pushing you tsantee, just asking rhetorical questions to the authors of the directions.

You mentioned tutorials in Toast 11.. How can I access them? Toast is so different. I feel lost to find anything.

Thanks again.

Bill

kThank you for such a detailed explanation.

The example was to save to iTunes and iPad.. What if everyone doesn't use iTunes? What if I want to capture/convert to mp4 with the option to play or burn to dvd? Not pushing you tsantee, just asking rhetorical questions to the authors of the directions.

When you want to make a DVD start with the main Toast set to DVD video in the Video window. If you want to export to a video for playing on a computer start with Video Files as the setting in the Convert window. Everything else is the same.

You mentioned tutorials in Toast 11.. How can I access them? Toast is so different. I feel lost to find anything.

If Toast is launching with its default window there is a "Tutorials" button at the top left corner. You also can select Toast Tutorials in the Toast Help window.

Good Morning, tsantee,

I have re-read much of the current discussions here and so much appreciate your counsel.

I haven't been able to do anything with Toast on my new iMac because the Roxio guys told me to delete it and I still can't re-download and install.

This is very disappointing, but your encouragement on here is a big help.

Thank you.

Bill

While this is up here, I'll ask another question that the support folks at Roxio ignored.

'How can I burn a back up of this software so I don't have to go through this again?

Thanks, Bill

Choose the Toast Data window and drag in the downloaded file. Then burn the disc.

Choose the Toast Data window and drag in the downloaded file. Then burn the disc.

Thanks,

I had used some mac thing and copied it yesterday after I downloaded it again. I just followed your instructions, just to see it done in Toast.

Many on this forum advocate sticking with 11.0.4 and not updating. One Roxio agent told me to stick with 0.4, but another one took over for him and insisted that I update to 0.6. What do you suggest?

I've now copied a few dvd's from the inside dvd in iMac to a usb external dvd burner. (It takes longer than on PC) The Roxio support folks say it can't be done///???

I have been able to capture analog video using Elgato, per your suggestion back when I bought this system. I like it so far. I have recorded a couple clips to the hdd. Haven't burned it to dvd yet. I'll try that with Toast soon.

My next major objective with this computer is to capture online streaming video. I've heard some suggestions as to an extension in Firefox. It would not work.

I think Toast will. I'm listening to a tutorial and see it there.

Making Progress!! Thanks

Thanks

Many on this forum advocate sticking with 11.0.4 and not updating. One Roxio agent told me to stick with 0.4, but another one took over for him and insisted that I update to 0.6. What do you suggest?

Stay with 11.0.4 for now.

I've now copied a few dvd's from the inside dvd in iMac to a usb external dvd burner. (It takes longer than on PC) The Roxio support folks say it can't be done///???

Copying commercial DVDs is a no-no to Roxio so they won't advise it.

I

My next major objective with this computer is to capture online streaming video. I've heard some suggestions as to an extension in Firefox. It would not work.

I think Toast will. I'm listening to a tutorial and see it there.

The Web video function is the subject of a couple recent topics in the forum. Check them out

Making Progress!! Thanks

Glad to hear. You're very welcome.

Hi,

I'll stay with 11.0.4 for now, thanks.

I have never suggested to Roxio folks that I want to copy comercial dvd's. I copy only self generated stuff or fta satellite, or free streamed stuff.

I'll look for web video here.

Thanks, Bill

Considering that Toast has a Disc Copy mode in its copy window I'm astonished that Roxio's support would tell you it can't be done. That's why I thought your question must have been about copying encrypted discs. What were they thinking? Not only can you copy from one drive to another, you can copy from and burn to the same drive and you can copy a disc image to a hard drive that is mountable to be played the same as if a disc is inserted.,

Considering that Toast has a Disc Copy mode in its copy window I'm astonished that Roxio's support would tell you it can't be done. That's why I thought your question must have been about copying encrypted discs. What were they thinking? Not only can you copy from one drive to another, you can copy from and burn to the same drive and you can copy a disc image to a hard drive that is mountable to be played the same as if a disc is inserted.,

I really like the idea that a non protected dvd can be put on the hdd as a dmg and used like the original dvd. There certainly isn't room on my 500g hdd, but I can put them on my 2t Time Capsule.

I think Toast may work after all!! :-) Bill

Hi,

I tried WinXDVDRipper and it seems to work ok.

Does anyone have any experience with MacXDVDRipper?

I'm still looking for 2 apps in iMac to:

1. Capture streaming video from Youtube, etc.

2. Copy/convert dvd video to hdd.

I've tried multiples of these with no consistent results.

tsantee,

I have re-read most of this thread. Your instructions about mounting a dvd, etc. are good. Thank you.

The last post above is where I am with looking for a way to convert my many dvd's to mountable video files on my iMac (and PC) hdd's, and to grab streaming video.

This quote from your instructions rings a bell:

"Not only can you copy from one drive to another, you can copy from and burn to the same drive and you can copy a disc image to a hard drive that is mountable to be played the same as if a disc is inserted.",

I'll be back to the iMac tomorrow. I'll again work with toast to do the 2 things I've listed above. I really shold not need more than Toast 11. Just need it to work as designed.

Thanks again.

Bill

I've been looking at Toast's tutorials... SORELY LACKING compared to what was in Creator 11.

I've been poking around and copying NON-PROTECTED programming to the hdd/desktop from a dvd. I tried to play as if a disc is inserted.. It shows the window in some very wide format, like 16x4 or something.

I sure would like to copy my materials on dvd to the archive hdd on here. It seems so close, but not here yet.

Maybe Handbrake,, but then again, Toast should do it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

I've been looking at Toast's tutorials... SORELY LACKING compared to what was in Creator 11.

I've been poking around and copying NON-PROTECTED programming to the hdd/desktop from a dvd. I tried to play as if a disc is inserted.. It shows the window in some very wide format, like 16x4 or something.

I sure would like to copy my materials on dvd to the archive hdd on here. It seems so close, but not here yet.

Maybe Handbrake,, but then again, Toast should do it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

To copy an unencrypted video DVD to the hard drive you can use Toast's Copy window. Choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. That creates a .toast file. In the Finder, control-click on the .Toast file and choose Mount It from the contextual menu. This creates the "disc" in the Finder that plays with DVD Player.

Alternatively you can simply copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD in the Finder to a folder on your hard drive. That can be played with DVD Player by choosing it with the Open DVD Media command in DVD Player's File menu.

Thanks, I did just those things today.

The Copy to hdd in Toast saved as an mp4 file, not .toast. I have done a .toast (don't know how I did it) and it wouldn't play. The mp4 files displayed in a seriously narrow (unusable) format. I'll try to manage a .toast file.

I also copied the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop. VLC doesn't play it dependably.

I saved out specific Vxxxx.xx.VOB files and VLC only plays the first 30 seconds or so.

I didn't try DVD Player because it kills the desktop when it is in full screen.

I'll work on it some more tomorrow... trying to use a .toast file. I'm kinda skittish about that from my experience with .iso files in Creator.

Thanks again. Bill

PS.. I had to arrange a 39 character user name and a 16 character password to get in here... Bummer!!

Thanks, I did just those things today.

The Copy to hdd in Toast saved as an mp4 file, not .toast. I have done a .toast (don't know how I did it) and it wouldn't play. The mp4 files displayed in a seriously narrow (unusable) format. I'll try to manage a .toast file.

What you did was use the Convert window instead of the Copy window. When you select the source DVD in the Copy window and choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu you will get the .toast file. There is no encoding using this process. It just copies the disc to the hard drive. Once you have the .toast file it won't play without "mounting" it. Do not double-click or choose Open to "mount" the .toast file. Instead, control-click on the file and choose Mount It from the contextual menu that appears. You also can mount the .toast file by choosing Mount Disc Image from Toast's Utilities menu or by selecting it with the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window.

Thanks,, I'm trying it now. Recovery is going to take all night.. If this works, I'm getting closer to trusting Toast.

I would love to copy just specific songs from a disc. That would be great. An option is to use Elgato capture device and do each video clip in real time.

I'll keep working.. :) Bill