Chook

Videowave - No Audio In M2Ts File

Question

I have just purchased and installed Creator Pro 2012 specifically to process HD video from my Sony HDR-SR8E camcorder. The m2ts (or mts) files play with audio in CinePlayer, as well as in VLC player and Windows Media Player. However, when I import them into VideoWave to edit, there is no audio at all.

Displaying the native audio track and trying to edit it in Audio Editor reveals only a flat line, confirming the lack of audio.

Any suggestions what's going on? I have tried using DivX Plus Converter to convert files to mkv Plus HD files, but this has no effect (still no audio).

My system is an Asus K52JC,

i5 M430 2.27 Ghz,

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium,

nVIDIA GeForce 310M with 1GB (plus the onboard Intel HD graphics)

22 answers to this question

fairly common when using cameras to record video :huh:

The only solution is to run the files through a converter to put them into a Standard Video Format...

A couple we like to use are:

AVS4YOU Converter:

Any Video Converter

It is odd the included DivX Plus didn't work for you <_<

Maybe you could post a short, 5 or 10 second, sample file on a hosting site so we can play with it???

I have just purchased and installed Creator Pro 2012 specifically to process HD video from my Sony HDR-SR8E camcorder. The m2ts (or mts) files play with audio in CinePlayer, as well as in VLC player and Windows Media Player. However, when I import them into VideoWave to edit, there is no audio at all.

Displaying the native audio track and trying to edit it in Audio Editor reveals only a flat line, confirming the lack of audio.

Any suggestions what's going on? I have tried using DivX Plus Converter to convert files to mkv Plus HD files, but this has no effect (still no audio).

My system is an Asus K52JC,

i5 M430 2.27 Ghz,

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium,

nVIDIA GeForce 310M with 1GB (plus the onboard Intel HD graphics)

post-97-045677700 1335562446.jpg

post-97-045677700 1335562446.jpg

The problem appears to be the presence of audio, rather than the level. As far as I can tell, "Edit Volume Envelope" doesn't help :-( But thanks for pointing me towards that feature anyway :-)

I'm attaching screenshots of an m2ts audio file in the Audio Editor, and from a .mov file shot off my trusty Panasonic TZ5 camera. The m2ts one is absolutely blank to my eyes.

[i should add that it is only the mts/m2ts files from my Sony camcorder that are affected - other avi, mov and wmv files work fine]

The same m2ts files can be imported and edited (with singing dancing sound) in Windows Live Movie Maker on this very same machine, so I'm pretty darned convinced that the lack of audio within VideoWave is strictly a Roxio/Corel problem. I'm strongly tempted to demand a refund and get Sony Vegas Movie Studio, which is what I had almost done - my past history of using Roxio Creator 10 unfortunately swayed my decision!

What I can't figure is why CineEditor can play the audio, but VideoWave can't. Surely a common set of codecs are being accessed by both??

post-103824-002540900 1335583997.jpg

post-103824-013570700 1335584012.jpg

fairly common when using cameras to record video :huh:

The only solution is to run the files through a converter to put them into a Standard Video Format...

A couple we like to use are:

AVS4YOU Converter:

Any Video Converter

It is odd the included DivX Plus didn't work for you <_<

Maybe you could post a short, 5 or 10 second, sample file on a hosting site so we can play with it???

I would've thought that mts/m2ts format is fairly standard for AVCHD, as Sony/Panasonic created the beast? And Roxio Creator can import AVCHD?

[btw I am using a dedicated camcorder for video - not a camera]

Why should I have to go through a long and tedious process of file format conversion before I can start working?!! Certainly doesn't make sense to me, when Windows Live Movie Maker is perfectly capable of handling these files (with audio!) on this machine. (Please excuse me if I sound grumpy :-))

I have uploaded a 4-second clip for you to play with:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bh56tzitkn9ncpu

Cheers

I also have the audio on the 4 second clip. I tried a couple of other video editors also. and they worked. Double check your Windows audio settings. The volumes may not be high enough.

Do you have the full Creator 2012 program? Standard or Pro? Did you have an earlier version? What audio card do you have. Have you updated the drivers for it. Have you added any codec packs?

It may be time for an Install/Repair after updating your computer for installing Roxio Products.

post-58-052841800 1335614540.png

Edited by sknis

With the 4 second clip you posted, I have Audio :huh:

post-39730-036352700 1335613802.jpg

Did you try the converter as I suggested???

Well that's reassuring news Jim. That then leads me to suspect my particular installation, rather than Roxio.

At this stage, I guess a full & frank admission is required - I had previously installed Roxio Creator 10 on this machine, and had done my best to uninstall it completely before installing 2012 Pro. With the VideoWave failure, I then uninstalled 2012 Pro, erased all Roxio files, erased all Roxio & Sonic registry folders and reinstalled 2012 Pro - with no improvement, as you know :angry:

Do you know of any likely conflicts, stray registry entries that may be causing my problem? A long shot, but any suggestions welcomed!

Well that's reassuring news Jim. That then leads me to suspect my particular installation, rather than Roxio.

At this stage, I guess a full & frank admission is required - I had previously installed Roxio Creator 10 on this machine, and had done my best to uninstall it completely before installing 2012 Pro. With the VideoWave failure, I then uninstalled 2012 Pro, erased all Roxio files, erased all Roxio & Sonic registry folders and reinstalled 2012 Pro - with no improvement, as you know :angry:

Do you know of any likely conflicts, stray registry entries that may be causing my problem? A long shot, but any suggestions welcomed!

Long shot - Download and run "Revo Uninstaller PRO" free 30 day trial. . Run it in Moderate Mode. See if it will pick up some of the left overs. Prepare your computer for installing the software as I posted above and then re-install.

Revo Uninstall Pro is supposed to remove partially installed software.

That shouldn't make any difference at all...

Try what Steve suggested, installs do not always go as intended... :lol:

Your clip audio also played fine in my video wave albeit I have Roxio 2011 and for what it is worth it converted and also played on roxio player in my Mac

I also have the audio on the 4 second clip. I tried a couple of other video editors also. and they worked. Double check your Windows audio settings. The volumes may not be high enough.

Do you have the full Creator 2012 program? Standard or Pro? Did you have an earlier version? What audio card do you have. Have you updated the drivers for it. Have you added any codec packs?

It may be time for an Install/Repair after updating your computer for installing Roxio Products.

Thanks Steve

I have the full Creator 2012 Pro ... and enough said about the earlier version (Creator 10) that I had peviously loaded! No additional codecs have been added (to my knowledge), and it's not a case of low or muted audio settings in Windows...

The audio on this laptop is a mix of Intel HD and Conexant SmartAudio HD .... not sure how the 2 are supposed to interact. I understand that the 2 videos (Intel HD Graphics, and the nVIDIA 310M) function with the Intel first, and the nVIDIA kicks in when demand requires it.

The drivers are now up to date, with no improvement to my original problem. So, I'll take your advice and try the Revo uninstaller. That'll be a job for tomorrow.

Are you suggesting that I use Revo to uninstall Creator 2012 Pro (and any residual stuff), rather than Creator's own uninstall first followed by Revo?

Something I have noticed this time round is that in my registry settings, there is no Sonic folder in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE directory .... I'm sure there was before I uninstalled Creator 2012, so should I be worried?! There are Roxio, SmartSound and Sonic ones in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder.

Cheers

IanB

Thanks Steve

I have the full Creator 2012 Pro ... and enough said about the earlier version (Creator 10) that I had peviously loaded! No additional codecs have been added (to my knowledge), and it's not a case of low or muted audio settings in Windows...

The audio on this laptop is a mix of Intel HD and Conexant SmartAudio HD .... not sure how the 2 are supposed to interact. I understand that the 2 videos (Intel HD Graphics, and the nVIDIA 310M) function with the Intel first, and the nVIDIA kicks in when demand requires it.

The drivers are now up to date, with no improvement to my original problem. So, I'll take your advice and try the Revo uninstaller. That'll be a job for tomorrow.

Are you suggesting that I use Revo to uninstall Creator 2012 Pro (and any residual stuff), rather than Creator's own uninstall first followed by Revo?

Something I have noticed this time round is that in my registry settings, there is no Sonic folder in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE directory .... I'm sure there was before I uninstalled Creator 2012, so should I be worried?! There are Roxio, SmartSound and Sonic ones in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder.

Cheers

IanB

First create a restore point with windows. The use Revo in the MODERATE mode. It will open the Creator 2012 uninstaller and run that. It will then search for leftovers both in the registry and in the foilders. You can safely uninstall them UNLESS you have project stored in those Roxio folders. If you do, move then elsewhere on your computer.

Just one more question before I go down the uninstall/reinstall path:rolleyes:

For those who have reported the presence of an audio track on the mts clip I provided, do any of you have JUST Creator installed on your computer? (i.e. no other video editing/converting etc software)

The reason I ask is I'd like to be convinced that Creator 2012 Pro itself has the capability of detecting mts audio tracks in VideoWave - rather than being "assisted" by codecs from other sources?

In my case, I have no other video editing software loaded (aside from Windows Live Movie Maker, and VLC player).

Just a thought ....

Cheers

IanB

For those who have reported the presence of an audio track on the mts clip I provided, do any of you have JUST Creator installed on your computer? (i.e. no other video editing/converting etc software)

The reason I ask is I'd like to be convinced that Creator 2012 Pro itself has the capability of detecting mts audio tracks in VideoWave - rather than being "assisted" by codecs from other sources?

In my case, I have no other video editing software loaded (aside from Windows Live Movie Maker, and VLC player).

Just a thought ....

Cheers

IanB

I did say I had 2011 but even so your clip was fine and I only have the roxio creator pro installed

I did say I had 2011 but even so your clip was fine and I only have the roxio creator pro installed

Thanks for the confirmation Joca - looks like I'll be doing a bit of uninstall/reinstalling tonight.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

IanB

Thanks for the confirmation Joca - looks like I'll be doing a bit of uninstall/reinstalling tonight.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

IanB

is it worth trying a repair first. can't say it will work but might save you some time and hassle. Before you go for install it might be worth the wait to see if any of the guys know of a soloution

Just a thought ....

Cheers

IanB

No, I also have Sony Vegas as well and a couple others...

Steve's suggestion is Sound (little pun ;) ) and something all of us do from time to time. (we also run Beta testing which can mess things up :( )

Give it try and see what happens!

First create a restore point with windows. The use Revo in the MODERATE mode. It will open the Creator 2012 uninstaller and run that. It will then search for leftovers both in the registry and in the foilders. You can safely uninstall them UNLESS you have project stored in those Roxio folders. If you do, move then elsewhere on your computer.

Just so Chook understands System Restore over a Backup Image. I prefer a Backup Image and never use System Restore, in fact I have it turned off in Windows..

System Restore isn't intended for backing up personal files, so it cannot help you recover a personal file that has been deleted or damaged. You should regularly back up your personal files and important data using a backup program.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

No, I also have Sony Vegas as well and a couple others...

Steve's suggestion is Sound (little pun ;) ) and something all of us do from time to time. (we also run Beta testing which can mess things up :( )

Give it try and see what happens!

Hi guys

I've taken Steve's advice and done a moderate Revo uninstall, reinstall ..... and as a result, I'm now up to the Critical Registry Files Needed part .... :angry2:

Jim, following your thread with SonicBoom on the Program Errors/Crashes/Hangs forum, I'll give the RegFix_C2012PRO.zip a go and report back.

And Dan, I'm not too concerned about personal files on this machine, as it's my portable, and anything mission critical is on my desktop (and backed up to an external drive). So I've still got the option of doing System Restores if need be.

Grrrh! This is turning into quite a mission! Hope it's all worthwhile :rolleyes: ..... I wouldn't have made it this far without all of your generous help!

Cheers

IanB

Hi guys

I've taken Steve's advice and done a moderate Revo uninstall, reinstall ..... and as a result, I'm now up to the Critical Registry Files Needed part .... :angry2:

Jim, following your thread with SonicBoom on the Program Errors/Crashes/Hangs forum, I'll give the RegFix_C2012PRO.zip a go and report back.

And Dan, I'm not too concerned about personal files on this machine, as it's my portable, and anything mission critical is on my desktop (and backed up to an external drive). So I've still got the option of doing System Restores if need be.

Grrrh! This is turning into quite a mission! Hope it's all worthwhile :rolleyes: ..... I wouldn't have made it this far without all of your generous help!

Cheers

IanB

Double grrrrhhh!

After getting most of Creator back (CinePlayer has now gone AWOL), cycling round Repair, and the odd system restore, I am still at a stage where there is no audio on my mts files in VideoWave!

Having torn enough hair out over the past week, I'm calling it quits and have requested a refund - I have received an email to say that the refund has been generated, so once I see the $$s back in my account I'll be off to download Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 (Platinum).

Thanks for all your help guys, and I'm just a wee bit sad that it didn't all work out :(

Cheers

IanB

Double grrrrhhh!

After getting most of Creator back (CinePlayer has now gone AWOL), cycling round Repair, and the odd system restore, I am still at a stage where there is no audio on my mts files in VideoWave!

Having torn enough hair out over the past week, I'm calling it quits and have requested a refund - I have received an email to say that the refund has been generated, so once I see the $s back in my account I'll be off to download Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 (Platinum).

Thanks for all your help guys, and I'm just a wee bit sad that it didn't all work out :(

Cheers

IanB

Sorry to see that you have given up on Roxio. Although the reviews for Sony Vegas are quite flattering it remains that the user interface is a bit daunting and a steepish learning curve. From a purely personal opinion if Roxio/Corel were to sort out some of the install issues that seem too common not to be a problem and perhaps bundle some of the bits that you have to search for (I think this is where the difficulties start from) Creator would not have any rivals for ease of use. I'm not a geek but I know there is something not quite right in Roxio for the non expert user.