Sign in to follow this  
Fisheye

Blu-Ray Burner

Question

Hello!

I primarily purchased Toast 11 Pro to try my hand at making a Blu-ray disc. I have an old (late-2008/early-2009) MacBook Pro running on OSX 10.6.8 (I have upgraded my OS since the original purchase). My question: What kind of Blu-ray burner do you recommend? I know basically nothing about this!! Thanks so much for any help.

-Fisheye

11 answers to this question

You can burn short (maybe 20-minute or so) high-def Blu-ray video discs to regular or dual-layer DVDs without getting a Blu-ray burner. You need a Blu-ray burner if you want longer videos that won't fit on the regular media. Another thing to consider is whether getting an AppleTV, WD TV, Network-attached-storage or something of that sort to play HD videos on your TV without needing to make Blu-ray discs at all.

As for Blu-ray burners I don't have a recommendation. I bought a Sony DVDDirect MA1 from B&H Photo that I don't have enough experience with to recommend. I chose it because it doesn't require connecting to the computer to make a Blu-ray disc from a camcorder, but also can works as an external Blu-ray burner connected to the Mac.

Thanks yet again, tsantee!

I am wanting to put an 80 minute documentary on Blu-ray, primarily for the best possible quality for screening at theaters. I was hoping to just go with DVD, but the drop-off from HD to SD is much more significant than I expected (see my other thread, where you also made an expert reply).

I'll look into the Sony one you mentioned. I use LaCie external hard drives and have been looking a their Blu-ray burners, too.

Thank you!!

Thanks yet again, tsantee!

I am wanting to put an 80 minute documentary on Blu-ray, primarily for the best possible quality for screening at theaters. I was hoping to just go with DVD, but the drop-off from HD to SD is much more significant than I expected (see my other thread, where you also made an expert reply).

I'll look into the Sony one you mentioned. I use LaCie external hard drives and have been looking a their Blu-ray burners, too.

Thank you!!

I have several LaCie products, too. One thing I like about them (other than they are an Oregon firm) is they keep their firmware up to date and are Mac friendly. With Blu-ray still developing the firmware updates are very important. You might also check into having a professional service make the Blu-ray disc for you.

I haven't looked, but there may be some good advice about Blu-ray at www.kenstone.net.

Edited by tsantee

I have an OWC Mercury Pro Blu-Ray burner (Pioneer) and Toast 11 is not able to burn disks when connected to my iMac via USB. Will the new update version 11.1 address this issue? I am able to burn when connected via Firewire 800. I am really hoping to be able to use the USB connection.

I have an OWC Mercury Pro Blu-Ray burner (Pioneer) and Toast 11 is not able to burn disks when connected to my iMac via USB. Will the new update version 11.1 address this issue? I am able to burn when connected via Firewire 800. I am really hoping to be able to use the USB connection.

What does OWC say about this? Toast should burn to any device that the OS recognizes. If you open System Profiler does the Blu-ray burner appear in the description when connected by USB?

What does OWC say about this? Toast should burn to any device that the OS recognizes. If you open System Profiler does the Blu-ray burner appear in the description when connected by USB?

OWC says that the burner should work when connected via USB. The System Profiler does see the Blu-Ray burner. When I hit the burn button, the encoder works, then the memory cache, and then the writing lead-in is where it stops and just sits there. I then have to do a force quit to unlock Toast.

So Toast does see the drive. I presume it is connected directly to the Mac and not through a USB hub? I believe Toast is waiting for the drive to respond and that's just not happening so there definitely is a communication failure. You mention Toast going through the encoding stage first. There are instances when an optical drive goes to sleep while waiting for Toast to complete the encoding and the drive doesn't awaken when the burning starts. You can see if this is the problem by first choosing Save as Disc Image and then burning the resulting .toast file to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window. If that works then you need to do this whenever there is going to be lengthy encoding before disc burning.

So Toast does see the drive. I presume it is connected directly to the Mac and not through a USB hub? I believe Toast is waiting for the drive to respond and that's just not happening so there definitely is a communication failure. You mention Toast going through the encoding stage first. There are instances when an optical drive goes to sleep while waiting for Toast to complete the encoding and the drive doesn't awaken when the burning starts. You can see if this is the problem by first choosing Save as Disc Image and then burning the resulting .toast file to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window. If that works then you need to do this whenever there is going to be lengthy encoding before disc burning.

Thanks tsantee! I will give that a try after work. The drive is connected directly to the Mac and not through a USB hub.

Still no luck with the OWC Mercury Blu-Ray Burner connected via USB. Still getting stuck on "Writing Lead-In..." for an hour now. :(

Problem solved! Being a newbie, I did not know that you could daisy chain FireWire devices. OWC does recommend the use of FireWire 800 or eSATA for Blu-Ray burning. I used my external HDD as a pass through device for the burner and everything works great now. Finally!!

Just FYI in case anyone finds this thread later: I ended up with a LaCie d2 Blu-ray burner. It came packaged with Toast 10. I have Toast 11, so yes, I was paying for software I wouldn't use, but the reviews for this burner were just too good, and I was finding online that many people were unsure about getting a homemade Blu-ray of an 80 minute film. Well, Toast 11 and the LaCie burner work beautifully! I am making Blu-ray discs of this film, and it looks great, on several television, through projectors at screenings, etc. I'm a novice, so I was pretty pleased with the results.