The_Goat

Web Video Capturing Issues

Question

Hey guys, I recently purchased Toast 11 mostly for its web video capturing ability. The first time I used this feature I had no problem capturing the video I wanted. A few days later however, I tried the same ( and several different) videos. None of which now even show up the Roxio web capturing box. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Toast 11 with no success. Any ideas on what may be wrong and how to fix it?

There was a time when Toast wouldn't capture a Web video that it had previously captured. I don't know if this is still true or if it has anything to do with what you're experiencing. I suggest going to your User>Library>Preferences folder and trashing the Toast plist and prefs files and then relaunching Toast. Also consider shutting down (not just a restart) and starting up your Mac. In Lion you need to hold down the option key while selecting the Go menu in the Finder to access your user library.

There are video file types that Toast cannot capture. But if you can't capture anything from YouTube then you know something is amiss.

Thanks tsantee,

Unfortunately neither one or any combination of the suggestions you gave worked. Any other ideas?

Which version of Toast 11 are you using? Is it 11.0.6? I'll check to see if I'm having any issues. What version OS X? There was also a time when an Adobe Flash update interfered with the Web video captures. I'm sure this was a topic in either this or the Toast 10 forum.

After only purchasing Toast 11 six days ago I have exactly the same problem as The Goat. I was able to do a web video capturing a couple of times but since then the videos don't show up any more in the Media Browser. I just get a message saying they will. I have tried at least 15 different uTube videos. All failed.

I have taken your advice and deleted the Toast plist and Preference files and then relaunched Toast. The problem continues. BTW. I am using Toast 11.0.6. on a MacBook Pro with 10.6.8 installed.

Which version of Toast 11 are you using? Is it 11.0.6? I'll check to see if I'm having any issues. What version OS X? There was also a time when an Adobe Flash update interfered with the Web video captures. I'm sure this was a topic in either this or the Toast 10 forum.

After only purchasing Toast 11 six days ago I have exactly the same problem as The Goat. I was able to do a web video capturing a couple of times but since then the videos don't show up any more in the Media Browser. I just get a message saying they will. I have tried at least 15 different uTube videos. All failed.

I have taken your advice and deleted the Toast plist and Preference files and then relaunched Toast. The problem continues. BTW. I am using Toast 11.0.6. on a MacBook Pro with 10.6.8 installed.

I just gave it a go and encountered the same problem. I've done some snooping and I think what's happening is Toast is failing to delete the temporary folder for the web videos when it quits yet doesn't want to reuse that same folder. What worked for me is to shut down the Mac (it might also have worked to restart) in which case the temporary folder was removed by the OS. When I relaunched Toast it was able to capture the Web video again. Let me know if this works for you.

I shut down and was able to capture a video, fine. When I tried again after that the same problem returned.

When trying to do a web video capturing and one gets in the media window "If the video is a supported format it will appear here" what format does Toast recognize? I would have thought it would have recognized all the uTube videos or am I wrong? I can view very little using this option in Toast 11.0.6.

When trying to do a web video capturing and one gets in the media window "If the video is a supported format it will appear here" what format does Toast recognize? I would have thought it would have recognized all the uTube videos or am I wrong? I can view very little using this option in Toast 11.0.6.

According to Toast Help it is "Flash-based videos that have played in a web browser while Toast is open." I don't know if there are other formats recognized. The problem with Toast not accepting new Web videos is fairly recent and I don't know what triggered it. Aside from shutting down you can try logging out and back in to your user account. I'll continue to experiment with this, too.

Hello.

I saw a list of steps to take to capture streaming video somewhere, but can't find it here. I think it was on a Roxio page.. but I can't find it now.

I'm not at this apple computer all the time, so have to choose my time.

Please, where is that recipe? I don't see anything like 'capture video' in the user guide.

;-(

I just happened to see Media Browser. It just shows up when it wants to. I have never seen it black (clickable) in the 'Window' pulldown when in Toast.

When I caught it on, I started a youtube video and it showed in Media browser. I dragged it to Toast. When it was done, it allowed me to see/play it in the edit window. I told it to save to disc as a .toast file. It had a 20 or so digit file name, which I could not copy or paste. It allowed me to type only one letter in the desired filename. And it gave me no option as to where I wanted to save it. And no option to choose what format to save. I think it is still in .flv. It gave me a choice to burn a dvd, which I did in the usb external dvd burner. It took about 20 minutes to burn 3 minutes of video. The disc plays in a dvd player ok. I can't play it on the iMac... DVD player (from the newly burned disc) sees only 1 second. VLC can't play more than 1 second. Not even going to try Quicktime.

OOh.. it would be so nice. I'd like to just capture clips from youtube, etc.; captured video from locally produced stuff... save it to disc in a format I know I can use. Then I want to play it as needed and then burn to a dvd/jump drive to share. Is that so outlandish a request?

Hope you'll can give some suggestions.

Edited by Dr. Pepper 6044

Hello.

I saw a list of steps to take to capture streaming video somewhere, but can't find it here. I think it was on a Roxio page.. but I can't find it now.

I'm not at this apple computer all the time, so have to choose my time.

Please, where is that recipe? I don't see anything like 'capture video' in the user guide.

;-(

I just happened to see Media Browser. It just shows up when it wants to. I have never seen it black (clickable) in the 'Window' pulldown when in Toast.

When I caught it on, I started a youtube video and it showed in Media browser. I dragged it to Toast. When it was done, it allowed me to see/play it in the edit window. I told it to save to disc as a .toast file. It had a 20 or so digit file name, which I could not copy or paste. It allowed me to type only one letter in the desired filename. And it gave me no option as to where I wanted to save it. And no option to choose what format to save. I think it is still in .flv. It gave me a choice to burn a dvd, which I did in the usb external dvd burner. It took about 20 minutes to burn 3 minutes of video. The disc plays in a dvd player ok. I can't play it on the iMac... DVD player (from the newly burned disc) sees only 1 second. VLC can't play more than 1 second. Not even going to try Quicktime.

OOh.. it would be so nice. I'd like to just capture clips from youtube, etc.; captured video from locally produced stuff... save it to disc in a format I know I can use. Then I want to play it as needed and then burn to a dvd/jump drive to share. Is that so outlandish a request?

Hope you'll can give some suggestions.

I'm not sure where to start. You access Web video in the Video portion of the Toast Media Browser. When it is done you can control click on it and choose show file location and, if you want, drag it from there to another location in the Finder. That way you've saved the .flv video file. Later you can add it either to the Toast Video window to make a video DVD or add it to the Toast Convert window to have it converted to a different format. Of course you don't need to drag the video out of the folder in the Finder. Instead you can do the conventional way of dragging it from the media browser to either the Video or Convert windows depending on what you want to do with the video.

I have no idea why there was any trouble renaming the video or why the DVD won't play with VLC. Those are very puzzling.

I'm not sure where to start. You access Web video in the Video portion of the Toast Media Browser. When it is done you can control click on it and choose show file location and, if you want, drag it from there to another location in the Finder. That way you've saved the .flv video file. Later you can add it either to the Toast Video window to make a video DVD or add it to the Toast Convert window to have it converted to a different format. Of course you don't need to drag the video out of the folder in the Finder. Instead you can do the conventional way of dragging it from the media browser to either the Video or Convert windows depending on what you want to do with the video.

I have no idea why there was any trouble renaming the video or why the DVD won't play with VLC. Those are very puzzling.

Thanks, tsantee,

I've started another one. I tried to ctrl click on the one that was up there. It wouldn't. I was able to find the toast stored files and delete them.

I've also tried dragging some of my existing video clips to the toast window. Many of them say it is not a format accepted by toast. That is disconcerting.

The other one I viewed is done. I can see it in the play window at the bottom of Media Browser. it has a file name 3715721 224092182282240. Why in the world such a name? Great!!.. I was able to change it's file name and move it in Finder. It was already in mp4 (H.264/AVC, 1280.720) No need to convert!

I need some experiences like this now and then.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Later..

Bill

As I have already said, I am unable to capture any web video as I get the message saying that if toast accepts the format it will appear in the media window. In desperation I found a sort of Roxio tutorial on how to do the capture and followed it 100%. I even used the same YouTube videos featured in the tutorial. Guess what! I got a message saying that Toast did not recognize the format. I wonder what version was used to make this tutorial. Certainly not 11.0.6

I have had enough with this application and especially Corel's support who will not accept that Toast 11.0.6 has so many bugs it should never have been released. Until an update is released, I will use the beta version only to do the basic options and revert to other non problematic applications to do the rest.

This seems to be the case in Toast 11 as well as toast 10. I have not upgraded to toast 11. I found out that if I recorded a web video clip and I deleted it in the web video media browser and then later tried to record it, it wouldn't show up. So I started just leaving them in the media browser and all was well. I have no idea why it will not allow you to record something that you had already done before. Maybe it has something to do with how toast stores info in some obscure file. Hope this helps.

Thanks, tsantee,

I've started another one. I tried to ctrl click on the one that was up there. It wouldn't. I was able to find the toast stored files and delete them.

I've found that I first need to click on the video in the Media Browser to select it before I can control-click on it to get the popup window giving me the option to locate it in the Finder.

Can some kind user please give me a link to a YouTube video that Toast 11 can definitely see in the Web Capture option, so that I can check if I can do the same. Many thanks.

Can some kind user please give me a link to a YouTube video that Toast 11 can definitely see in the Web Capture option, so that I can check if I can do the same. Many thanks.

I can't get anything from YouTube but it works fine with vimeo.com for me. Don't know why.

I thought I'd try to download the same file again. Now, I can't even get 'Web Video' to show in the Media Browser. . Either with Firefox or Safari, and other video clips that I haven't tried before.

This is not always fun!

The reason web video didn't show was that I didn't have 'video' checked in the main Toast window. I'm learning.

I downloaded Susan Boyle's first video,, from vimeo. it saved as .flv. Toast won't convert it because a codec is missing.VP6F

Can I get those so I can convert these .flv files? I did a couple last night. It worked fine. What is wrong with Roxio building a convert process to include the files that are usually downloaded in Youtube and/or Vimeo?

The reason web video didn't show was that I didn't have 'video' checked in the main Toast window. I'm learning.

I downloaded Susan Boyle's first video,, from vimeo. it saved as .flv. Toast won't convert it because a codec is missing.VP6F

Can I get those so I can convert these .flv files? I did a couple last night. It worked fine. What is wrong with Roxio building a convert process to include the files that are usually downloaded in Youtube and/or Vimeo?

I tried several Susan Boyle videos from Vimeo and they all were .mp4 so I didn't find the one you're referring to. However, I did find a flv video that Toast didn't have any trouble converting. Do you have Perian installed? If not, go to perian.org and install that codec. I don't know if that is why its working on mine and not yours.

Can you tell me where you found the video files. I've not been able to find them myself. All I know is that if I highlighted a video and hit the delete key it would delete it and if I went back to that same video and tried to record it toast would not do that.

Tsantee, while I am using 10.0.9 and not 11.x, I also cannot record a tube video, but I can record a vimeo video. I wonder if there is something with what tube uses and vimeo uses. I'm not a techie for sure, but there was a time, and a long one where I had no problem recording utube files. Any ideas?

As a test I tried to use the video capture option in 11.06 and the new Beta version on the video you attached. Nothing!! I don't think the problem exists in 11.0.4 that you say you are using. If you have 11.0.6 why not see what then happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3uVqhPTmSg This one worked for me last night.

:-)

I'm using 11.0.4

As a test I tried to use the video capture option in 11.06 and the new Beta version on the video you attached. Nothing!! I don't think the problem exists in 11.0.4 that you say you are using. If you have 11.0.6 why not see what then happens.

I don't have 11.0.6, sorry. I guess I could load it separately, but I'd rather stick with only one at a time.

< "I tried several Susan Boyle videos from Vimeo and they all were .mp4 so I didn't find the one you're referring to. However, I did find a flv video that Toast didn't have any trouble converting. Do you have Perian installed? If not, go to perian.org and install that codec. I don't know if that is why its working on mine and not yours." >

I'm probably overlooking something obvious,, but how can I tell the format on vimeo or youtube before I attempt to capture it?

When I first got this iMac, I downloaded Perian and did as it said to install, but have no idea where it is now and if it is working. Please advise how I can make sure it is installed and working. Thanks.

I'm probably overlooking something obvious,, but how can I tell the format on vimeo or youtube before I attempt to capture it?

I couldn't tell before the capturing began. After Toast started capturing I looked in the Toast video capture folder in the Finder and saw the extension .mp4 or .flv after the file name.

When I first got this iMac, I downloaded Perian and did as it said to install, but have no idea where it is now and if it is working. Please advise how I can make sure it is installed and working. Thanks.

Perian is installed in a QuickTime folder in the root library. You can see that it is installed by opening System Preferences and clicking Perian in the "Other" section of the System Preferences window. If you don't see Perian there then it isn't installed.