HurricaneGMS

Flipvideo 720P - Want To Make Blu-Ray But Fails

Question

I have a FlipVideo 720p version which from what I see creates files in MP4 / H.264 format. All I want to do is take those files, which have all the same settings, and make a Blu-Ray player playable Blu-Ray disc from them. I am not looking to edit the clips or add anything special.. just the basic menus that come with Roxio Creator 2012 Pro is fine. I have tried everything and am at my wits end. I bought a new high end laptop, blu ray burner, Sony Vegas Platinum, etc. and still can not do what should should be a simple thing in 2012! Every time I try with whatever files (the originals or ones I converted using the Roxio converter to MPEG2, AVCHD, H.264 (just to try), etc) I get the same error ... "failed To Import Media In Authorscript. Error While Importing Media" at about the 11% progress point during the 1st video file.

I have tried converting the files to 24 fps, 30 fps, as well as leaving it with the flipvideo original settings. Still same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thousands of dollars invested in this process and hundreds of hours....

Regards,

Glenn

It is an annoying error :(

2 things that help...

First is to Burn to a Folder set rather than BD. You can add that Folder Set to Burn Data Disc later and use it to burn the actual BD Disc ;)

But sometimes that is not enough... In that case, you will have to bring the files into VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced and output them as a Video File from there. Then use these 'new' files to create a new MyDVD Project. (use the Same As setting or a BD setting that matches you original file properties)

Give those a try and let us know how you make out ;)

I have a FlipVideo 720p version which from what I see creates files in MP4 / H.264 format. All I want to do is take those files, which have all the same settings, and make a Blu-Ray player playable Blu-Ray disc from them. I am not looking to edit the clips or add anything special.. just the basic menus that come with Roxio Creator 2012 Pro is fine. I have tried everything and am at my wits end. I bought a new high end laptop, blu ray burner, Sony Vegas Platinum, etc. and still can not do what should should be a simple thing in 2012! Every time I try with whatever files (the originals or ones I converted using the Roxio converter to MPEG2, AVCHD, H.264 (just to try), etc) I get the same error ... "failed To Import Media In Authorscript. Error While Importing Media" at about the 11% progress point during the 1st video file.

I have tried converting the files to 24 fps, 30 fps, as well as leaving it with the flipvideo original settings. Still same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thousands of dollars invested in this process and hundreds of hours....

Regards,

Glenn

Roxio knows about and has not been able to track down that problem in at least the last three versions. sad.gif

Read and follow this process (link). . It is for an earlier version and for an AVCHD disc but it should work just fine for a blu-ray disc. I use it for both.

Let us know how it works for you.

BTW, I make more AVCHD discs than blu-ray. It is cheaper and the resolution is just as good. The drawbacks are 1) Your DVD player must be able to play AVCHD discs and 2) You can get only about 40 minutes of high definition video on a disc. I just wanted to throw that out for yourc onsideration

Jim, Sorry we posted at the same time. One of the solutions will work.

Edited by sknis

Just tried the Burn to Folder option and did the same failure. During the Burn Project it does Open Project then Encoding Movie (1 of 10) and it gets to 10% and then Complete gets checked and the error happens. So it never gets even close to being in a position to burn to a blu ray. This is not a Blu Ray issue IMO since the blu ray disc is not even used at this point. I will try the VideoWave option soon and let you know. I guess that is some of the optional software I have not installed on the new laptop yet.

What a pain in the @ss. Been making DVD movies from videos for 20 years w/o issue.

It is an annoying error :(

2 things that help...

First is to Burn to a Folder set rather than BD. You can add that Folder Set to Burn Data Disc later and use it to burn the actual BD Disc ;)

But sometimes that is not enough... In that case, you will have to bring the files into VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced and output them as a Video File from there. Then use these 'new' files to create a new MyDVD Project. (use the Same As setting or a BD setting that matches you original file properties)

Give those a try and let us know how you make out ;)

Just tried the Burn to Folder option and did the same failure. During the Burn Project it does Open Project then Encoding Movie (1 of 10) and it gets to 10% and then Complete gets checked and the error happens. So it never gets even close to being in a position to burn to a blu ray. This is not a Blu Ray issue IMO since the blu ray disc is not even used at this point. I will try the VideoWave option soon and let you know. I guess that is some of the optional software I have not installed on the new laptop yet.

What a pain in the @ss. Been making DVD movies from videos for 20 years w/o issue.

Videowave is not "optional software", it is installed when you install C2012 - you have no choice.

In your first post you mention Sony Vegas. Does it work with the Flip video?

There have been several post from users having problems with Flip video ( other video software has the same problems). It seems to be video in "non-standard" format.

Would it be possible to upload a short clip to a free website such as "Up4Down" so that some of use here could test it?

VideoWave / Cinemagic did not help. Not sure I did it right, though. It basically did nothing. I put them into a Production and did an export to MyDVD, but really, the VideoWave software then really did nothing but make the 10 videos appear as one in the MyDVD project. But error was same when I tried to create the ISO (burn). I don't like to say burn because to me burn implies using physical media to store an image, etc. and I can not even get an image created.

Sorry about the confusion on the VideoWave software. I am new to this suite really. I have not owned or used Roxio since I think version 7 or so and even then I did not do any editing. I have always just launched the standard Make DVD option and dragged my video files into the project and done menus, music, etc. with the GUI wizards. I edited video about 10 years ago and after it took about 15 hours to really edit a 1 hr DVD I gave up as I had over 100 hrs of videos to do!!

Videowave is not "optional software", it is installed when you install C2012 - you have no choice.

In your first post you mention Sony Vegas. Does it work with the Flip video?

There have been several post from users having problems with Flip video ( other video software has the same problems). It seems to be video in "non-standard" format.

Would it be possible to upload a short clip to a free website such as "Up4Down" so that some of use here could test it?

Yes the Sony Vegas does "work" with the Flipvideo but the problem is it is too professional for me. It expects a certain level of expertise that I do not have or want to learn at this point. So I could do some basic stuff and get a Blu Ray made without "errors" but the problem is/was that I get either skipping or blurred video or just what looks to be mismatched frame rates. I don't understand all the ins and outs of framerate vs. bitrate vs. compression, etc. I am an IT professional, so I can figure things out technically but I am not that interested in the movie making industry to learn all about the video properties. I bought the Roxio product because it has always had a basic plug n play mode to make simple movies as well as an expert mode for editing.

That all said, if FlipVideo is not in a standard form, can I use the video converter option in Roxio to convert them to something else? I did do that already but I did not know what to convert to... tried MPEG2, H.264, etc. as mentioned. But there is also the quality setting (the slider which adjusts bitrate) as well as the FPS. What should that be? You think that would help?

Sorry about the confusion on the VideoWave software. I am new to this suite really. I have not owned or used Roxio since I think version 7 or so and even then I did not do any editing. I have always just launched the standard Make DVD option and dragged my video files into the project and done menus, music, etc. with the GUI wizards. I edited video about 10 years ago and after it took about 15 hours to really edit a 1 hr DVD I gave up as I had over 100 hrs of videos to do!!

VideoWave / Cinemagic did not help. Not sure I did it right, though. It basically did nothing. I put them into a Production and did an export to MyDVD, but really, the VideoWave software then really did nothing but make the 10 videos appear as one in the MyDVD project. But error was same when I tried to create the ISO (burn). I don't like to say burn because to me burn implies using physical media to store an image, etc. and I can not even get an image created.

Forget about Cinemagic, it is almost useless for any kind of video work.

If you added all your 10 videos into Videowave then they will of course be "merged" into one video.

If you want each video to appears as a menu item then you should be adding the videos in myDVD. Each will appear as a separate title on the menu pages that will be automatically generated.

Try adding a single video at a time in myDVD and burn that to an iso file and see if it works. If yes, then keep adding clips until it fails.

"Burn to an iso image file " or "burn to a folder set" are Ok terms to use. You do not have to physically burn to a DVD to use the term. You can use "create" if you want though.

Please upload a short clip as I suggested.

You said a Burn to Folder Set still failed.

This indicates a problem with the files.

re-read Post #2.

Please make sure that you have the latest version of "Quicktime" installed. The Roxio suite needs the codecs in Quicktime for some of the video formats.

Interesting. Well it is a brand new laptop so barring some preinstalled HP software putting a version of QT on it, Quicktime is not installed at all. Will try that tonight.

I had success finally though but it took a ridiculous process involving roxio and sony vegas, so will continue to try your solutions.

Please make sure that you have the latest version of "Quicktime" installed. The Roxio suite needs the codecs in Quicktime for some of the video formats.

Installed latest Quicktime, but no effect. Still can not create any image no matter the HD files I select from the FlipVideo. As mentioned above, I was able to get one to finally work using Sony Vegas' DVD Architect and the MPEG-2 files I had created/converted using the Roxio converter. Problem is that it was of course 1 large file instead of the 10 original videos. So no chapters, etc. That said, it did create an iso and I was able to burn the ISO to BluRay properly. That can NOT be the only way to do this, however, and if it is I will look to return the Roxio product. I can not believe it can not handle standard HD files from a mainstream camcorder at 720p. I just now converted my 10 files into individual mpeg-2's to again try with DVD Architect as I want to see how it handles multiple files, menus, etc. Of course, the DVD Architect product is quite slow even with my high end machine, which I bought along with the Roxio product in hopes to speed up the process.

Sorry, I know you've asked for a sample file. I will need to record a few minute video and upload. Can't upload the ones I have right now. Too large and include family, etc. Will record and upload a "sanitized" file as soon as I can.

Here is a Post Script for you :lol:

Yesterday I captured and burned 2 HD Projects. First one went as expected but the 2nd one yeilded:

post-39730-011922900 1336478286.jpg

:o

So I followed my own advice and from within MyDVD went to the Editor and did an Export As:

post-39730-003248400 1336478289.jpg

post-39730-091311400 1336478289.jpg

Lastly started a New Project and used the newly created Export File...

Ta Da!!! :lol:

post-39730-075192600 1336478291.jpg

(don't let the BD Project throw you, I just used that to fix the disc space math ;) )

That is cool but unfortunately your error is quite different. Yours happened after media import. Mine happens very eary during the import/encode thus my error states failed to import. I will upload a video later this evening. I am east coast USA, fyi.

That is cool but unfortunately your error is quite different. Yours happened after media import. Mine happens very eary during the import/encode thus my error states failed to import. I will upload a video later this evening. I am east coast USA, fyi.

Sorry, I know you've asked for a sample file. I will need to record a few minute video and upload. Can't upload the ones I have right now. Too large and include family, etc. Will record and upload a "sanitized" file as soon as I can.

Post a sample file that gives you the error! :rolleyes:

I will tonight. Every file from my flipvideo fails so it will not be hard to provide. There are no user settings on the camera so every videofile from it is identical.

No... there is only one AuthorScript Error and it occures during the rending process...

Whether it happens at the beginning or near the end is irrelivant.

And the fix I have outlined works, 110% of the time!

Not sure but seems by the picture that your error text is different and your status shows the encoding completed successfully with a check mark. Mine never gets a checkmark on encoding or write format. Theverror might be caused by same thing though but seems yours is completing the encoding process.

I do appreciate the solutions and will keep trying them tonight after work. Much appreciated!

Glenn

Thanks for your patience with this. I am uploading the file now as I type this. The file name is VID00017.MP4 and is about 8 secs of my dog. The file is about 11MB.

http://www.upfordown.com/pupload/view/76861

Hopefully it works ok. I did not register. Just did a guest upload. Meantime I am going to try the export solution again up top as well as a new video converter that specifically says it works with FlipVideo, so we will see.

Ok can you walk me thru again the steps from start to finish of your 110% solution? There are some options I am seeing, or not seeing, and I am not sure I am in the right place, etc. I launched the VideoWave program, did the import and it just put the files in what is I guess a new Production. I did not save or anything. From there I just did the Output/Export and it asked if I wanted to save, which I did. Then it launched the Make Movie dialogue and I selected Blu Ray authoring as the purpose, Video File Quality as Blu Ray HQ, and a file export location. I clicked Create Video File and it is now doing a new Render which I called testExport. Looks like the end result will be testExport.mpg and looks like this will take about 35 mins to do as it is a 40 min or so video. Of course it is combining them into 1 file, which is not what I would want at the end of the day really, but just for this test, it is fine. I believe this is the exact process I followed earlier that failed in the same way in the MyDVD, but again let me know what exactly I should be doing. When this is done I believe you say I just start a new project in MyDVD and pick the new testExport.mpg as my media, right?

Thanks!!

I didn't have any problem burning your test file to BD in MY DVD. :unsure:

post-97-006340600 1336525265.jpg

Hmmm.... wonder if it is video card or driver related? Unfortunately I could not getan nVidia card like I see you have which I always prefer to Ati. Meantime mine just failed again. Got to 77%.

Gonna try to do my sample file i sent. Can u tell me what settings, menus, etc you used?

That isn't the test file I downloaded!

This is..

post-97-042855800 1336528459.jpg