Lindberg

Toast Takes Forever To Encode A Movie?

Question

Hi,

I tried to encode a movie with Toast 11 Pro 11.0.6 last night. I prepared it just as usual but just before starting burning it to a DVD. Toast told me it was in the wrong format (PAL instead of NTSC) so It asked me if I wanted to re-encode it to NTSC and I said yes. It started it to encode around 11 pm last night and it's just about to half right now 12h after. How come it's so long to do such a task? Whether Toast is not very functional doing such a task or where did I went wrong about it? Toast should have at least warned me about such a delay before burning my video on DVD.

I admit being a newbee with Toast and burning video. But may I also point out that that it was notto clear how to proceed and what to expect enven after redaing the documentation on how to proceed about it and what to expect afterward. I think i will use another software in the futur for such a task.

RMarchand

Edited by Lindberg

10 answers to this question

What are the specs of the source video? If it is high definition then it does take Toast a very long time to encode as a standard-definition video DVD. Tell me more about the source video and there may be a quicker process available. Also, what Mac and OS are you using and how much RAM is installed?

Edited by tsantee

I have a similar experience. I've switched from PC. A disc copy in Creator took 8 minutes last night. The same copy in Toast took 21 minutes.

I have many dvd's I want to convert to mp4 in the iMac. I dragged the VIDEO_TS folder from a dvd to Toast to convert. I gave up after 45 minutes, just encoding. I think that is not the thingto do.

Do you have an opinion on Handbrake?

Edited by Dr. Pepper 6044

What are the specs of the source video? If it is high definition then it does take Toast a very long time to encode as a standard-definition video DVD. Tell me more about the source video and there may be a quicker process available. Also, what Mac and OS are you using and how much RAM is installed?

Hi,

Thank you for answering,

At the start, the original format of the movie was an Web ".Xvid", which was saved as a ".avi" video format for PAL. I've tried to save it in various formats so it would be compatible with standard "NTSC" format here in America (29. 97 fps) so I could burn it on a standard DVD. The original ".avi" film was about 700.2 Mo. I have a MacPro, early 2009 working with 10.5.8. I use the last version of Roxio 11 Titanium, which I beleive to be 11.0.6.

I then convert first to a ".mp4" format so Toast could then accept it. This is where Toast said to me that it had to convert it to "NTSC" before burning and this where

Since I found out that all was a matter of Ripping the film from PAL to NTSC before anything, I've tried to convert it with HandBrake. But, all I got was an ".mkv" format that Toast could not then accept as a valid format?

As you can see, I'm a nwebee in all of this, very confusing, and very time taking for me. even if I've tried reading carefully the documentation about it with the Roxio User Manual which do not tell us very much on how to proceed in such a case.

Now, I'm trying to convert the original file again directly in Toast just to see if it will work this time. After converting the movie as from now, all I got was a very choppy result that opened by default in iTune?

Thanking you in advance for your help and looking forward to read you,

Robert Marchand

cactus2@videotron.ca

Hi,

Thank you for answering,

At the start, the original format of the movie was an Web ".Xvid", which was saved as a ".avi" video format for PAL. I've tried to save it in various formats so it would be compatible with standard "NTSC" format here in America (29. 97 fps) so I could burn it on a standard DVD. The original ".avi" film was about 700.2 Mo. I have a MacPro, early 2009 working with 10.5.8. I use the last version of Roxio 11 Titanium, which I beleive to be 11.0.6.

I then convert first to a ".mp4" format so Toast could then accept it. This is where Toast said to me that it had to convert it to "NTSC" before burning and this where

Since I found out that all was a matter of Ripping the film from PAL to NTSC before anything, I've tried to convert it with HandBrake. But, all I got was an ".mkv" format that Toast could not then accept as a valid format?

As you can see, I'm a nwebee in all of this, very confusing, and very time taking for me. even if I've tried reading carefully the documentation about it with the Roxio User Manual which do not tell us very much on how to proceed in such a case.

Now, I'm trying to convert the original file again directly in Toast just to see if it will work this time. After converting the movie as from now, all I got was a very choppy result that opened by default in iTune?

Robert Marchand

cactus2@videotron.ca

If you haven't yet installed Perian go to www.perian.org and download and install that codec. It supports decoding xvid videos. You shouldn't need to do more than one conversion in Toast. If your goal is to make a video DVD then just add the video to that setting in the Video window and let Toast do the transcoding to NTSC and encode the MPEG 2 video. If your goal is to make a video playable in iTunes then use the Video files setting in the Toast Copy window. A computer doesn't care if it is NTSC or PAL so no transcoding is needed to make it playable in iTunes.

As for the length of time it takes to transcode & encode for video DVD, your description does sound like it's slower than I'd expect. But as long as it keeps progressing it will eventually get there. That's why this is something that's often done over night. When there is going to be a lengthy encoding process I always choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. That is because Toast sometimes has trouble waking an optical drive that goes to sleep while waiting for the encoding to finish. When the disc image is complete you can burn it to disc using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window.

To be fair one has to acknowledge a few basic facts on this topic:

1. Encoding video through software is a (CPU) labor intensive process

2. Toast 11 is a multi-processor aware application

3. Toast is not a product designed for high-throughput, production oriented applications. It's intended primarily for the amateur/hobbyist audience.

Having said that I would agree that it is onerously slow at certain tasks. Re-encoding between PAL and NTSC and/or compression of HD source are tasks that Toast seems to struggle with. In comparison to other applications such as Handbrake the code does not utilize multiple processors nearly as efficiently as it should. However, in the end Toast 11 is capable of achieving an impressively wide variety of AV related processing jobs. Due diligence, troubleshooting and patience will usually pay dividends in the long haul. Finally, I would strongly endorse the advice of other in this and other related forums in that it is very wise to test the process by creating an image file first rather than jumping straight to the burn to optical media. If your disk image is satisfactory it is a simple process to burn the image to any variety of media using Toast.

Hi,

Thank you for answering so clearly to my question. However, I do realize now that such action needed further preparation and more steps in order to acheive the result that I was looking for. Maybe I got a little bit carried away by the possibility offered by Toast before verifying what it would really involve. I'm a newbee and I acted like one it seem's, thinking that toast would simplify that process in a few steps. I just wonder if this subject is covered thoroughly in Toast litterature? I will carefully read and keep your precious answer for futher reference. I'm to sure if I understand clearly what you mean since my goal is not to have an Image File on a disk but rather a video bun on a DVD that I can then read on any video player?

Robert Marchand

cactus2@videotron.ca

I'm to sure if I understand clearly what you mean since my goal is not to have an Image File on a disk but rather a video bun on a DVD that I can then read on any video player?

After creating the disc image go to the Toast Copy window and choose Image File as the format. Then select the .toast disc image and it burns to disc as a video DVD.

OK here's a simple question: In Toast 10.8 a TS video is burned in say 8 minutes. In toast 11 it takes 28 minutes. What's up?

Fred

OK here's a simple question: In Toast 10.8 a TS video is burned in say 8 minutes. In toast 11 it takes 28 minutes. What's up?

Fred

Make sure you've updated to Toast 11.1 (1072) or are using Toast 11.04. You also can still use Toast 8 to burn those if you like.