• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Converting Old Audio Project Files

pjvk

Question

I've got some old audio project files I created from Easy CD Creator 5. They all have the extension cl5; for example, Rock Mix.cl5. I tried opening them up in EMC 7 but they come up blank. I tried renaming the extension to rcl (the one EMC 7 uses) in Creator Classic, but they still open up blank. I get the title of the project, but no song list, which is the information I need!

How do I convert these files so that Creator Classic can read them? I really would like to know what track listing I used for some of these CDs (which were gifts, so I don't have them). Can these files be converted, or am I out of luck?

Thanks,

Pjvk

2 answers to this question

Dave wrote:

>Unfortunately, Roxio has never "looked back" when coming out with new versions. ECDC 4 couldn't open >.CL3 files. ECDC 5 could briefly open .CL4 files, but that went away with one of the updates... and so on. >Your best bet is if you created Jewel Cases for these discs and still have the .JWL files, which may open in >Label Creator, or ECDC 5 coexists just fine with EMC 7/7.5 so you could reload that to open the files.

Thanks for replying. As it turns out, except for reinstalling ECDC 5, renaming the project files is all you can do. Some of them will work in EMC 7/7.5, some won't. It all depends on which version of the original Roxio software you were using. Since I was using a later version of ECDC 5 Platinum, most of my old .CL5 projects worked when renamed to .RCL. A few others totally lost the track/song data, so I deleted them.

I generally don't have time to do Jewel Cases; I just burn the CD-Rs, label them with a marker, then give them away. When I do have time, I use a different software package to label both the disc and jewel case (MediaDisc III or something like that; see www.neato.com) and have to import the tracks from a text or Word document. So I tend to rely on the project files more than most people.

If you know how to print out a .RCL file or convert it to a text file, please let me know.

Thanks,

Pam

Unfortunately, Roxio has never "looked back" when coming out with new versions. ECDC 4 couldn't open .CL3 files. ECDC 5 could briefly open .CL4 files, but that went away with one of the updates... and so on. Your best bet is if you created Jewel Cases for these discs and still have the .JWL files, which may open in Label Creator, or ECDC 5 coexists just fine with EMC 7/7.5 so you could reload that to open the files.

Hope that helps!

Archived