• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Question

I was backing up some of my Disney tapes to PC. But the picture went bright when I was recording it. I know the tape is copy protected. Should I get a new capture device?

8 answers to this question

I was backing up some of my Disney tapes to PC. But the picture went bright when I was recording it. I know the tape is copy protected. Should I get a new capture device?

Since the tape has copy protection, it is illegal to copy it. In any case, Roxio will not copy protected tapes.

Question:

Does Roxio VHS to DVD 3 give an error message or some other "user-friendly" notification that a tape is protected? I have a tape I'm having a problem with, but nowhere on the box does it say anything about protection (I get audio but no video only with this one tape, it plays on the TV so I know it's good). gnsguy's posting doesn't state the s/w level he's at, and reports only receiving a "bright" screen but nothing else.

FWIW: the link cited above references "Roxio Venue", not VHS to DVD.

TIA,

- Jim -

Sometimes if the tape is bad or the player has issues with it, you will get a jumbled signal and the program will interpret that as a copy protection. No Roxio software will break copy protection.

Jim-E tell us about your computer (see below) and tell us about the tape and your VHS player. Just because it plays it doesn't mean that your computer can capture the tape. Is this the only one you are having issues with?

gsnguy - tell us more about the bright screen and tell us about your computer. Do the dxdiag evaluation discussed here. ATTACH the text file; do not copy and paste. Use the "More reply options" to upload the file.

Edited by sknis

Question:

Does Roxio VHS to DVD 3 give an error message or some other "user-friendly" notification that a tape is protected? I have a tape I'm having a problem with, but nowhere on the box does it say anything about protection (I get audio but no video only with this one tape, it plays on the TV so I know it's good). gnsguy's posting doesn't state the s/w level he's at, and reports only receiving a "bright" screen but nothing else.

FWIW: the link cited above references "Roxio Venue", not VHS to DVD.

TIA,

- Jim -

I am a bit confused... According to this July 2012 post you destroyed your EVD3 software as part of the agreement with Roxio to issue you a refund :huh:

Are you not holding up your part of the agreement now???

Sure does sound like it. No, It's gone - this issue, the consistent "abend upon exit" problem, and the abysmal online support prompted the refund. I thought I'd ask, though, since the thread was open and it just might relate to the earlier version.

The VHS tape in question is a copy of a 1932 b/w Errol Flynn movie "Dawn Patrol", and is in good condition. In general, b/w copying is inconsistent - for example, the beginning & end of Wizard Of Oz are b/w and didn't stop me from recording the whole tape.

Sure does sound like it. No, It's gone - this issue, the consistent "abend upon exit" problem, and the abysmal online support prompted the refund. I thought I'd ask, though, since the thread was open and it just might relate to the earlier version.

The VHS tape in question is a copy of a 1932 b/w Errol Flynn movie "Dawn Patrol", and is in good condition. In general, b/w copying is inconsistent - for example, the beginning & end of Wizard Of Oz are b/w and didn't stop me from recording the whole tape.

Questionable as far as the legality of copying a commercial tape...

But B&W give some of the devices fits while it works on others.

The OP here posted in June and never returned, so we will never know.