• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

jborto

Creator 2012 Mydvd Wont Burn To Disc Or Create Iso

Question

I am learning to use Roxio Creator 2012 Special Edition as I go. I have put a significant amount of time creating a school video together that has 10 slideshows / 1 movie created in the MyDVD section. The project has these chapters broken down using 3 menus. There are a LOT of pictures in the slideshows (most about 160) and they all have music tracks. I can preview the files on the computer and view them with no problem.

I am trying to burn them to a disc, and at about 46% it just stops and does not progress (after chapter 4, which is about where the menu would change). I believe it would just hang there indefinitely - have left it for about 15 minutes and figured it would not go so ended it through task manager - it would not allow me to cancel out of the burn.

I have tried to educate myself by reading many posts on here to try a few things, including changing the setting for the burn so it was HP and not fit to disc (did not help). And tried to create an ISO file without burning to disc and it still hung up in the same place. I need to be able to present this to everyone next Saturday, and am really getting worried. Any help or input is MUCH appreciated. I am not overly technical, again, any suggestions are appreciated!!! Thanks!

24 answers to this question

I am learning to use Roxio Creator 2012 Special Edition as I go. I have put a significant amount of time creating a school video together that has 10 slideshows / 1 movie created in the MyDVD section. The project has these chapters broken down using 3 menus. There are a LOT of pictures in the slideshows (most about 160) and they all have music tracks. I can preview the files on the computer and view them with no problem.

I am trying to burn them to a disc, and at about 46% it just stops and does not progress (after chapter 4, which is about where the menu would change). I believe it would just hang there indefinitely - have left it for about 15 minutes and figured it would not go so ended it through task manager - it would not allow me to cancel out of the burn.

I have tried to educate myself by reading many posts on here to try a few things, including changing the setting for the burn so it was HP and not fit to disc (did not help). And tried to create an ISO file without burning to disc and it still hung up in the same place. I need to be able to present this to everyone next Saturday, and am really getting worried. Any help or input is MUCH appreciated. I am not overly technical, again, any suggestions are appreciated!!! Thanks!

I am sorry but from your post it is impossible to figure out what your are doing. You have really given very little information on how you are proceeding. I think you have taken on a much too big and involved project when you are "learning to use Roxio Creator 2012".

How long in time is your whole project? A 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video at HQ quality. You say you have 10 slideshows? How did you create them? How did you merge (export?) them into one video file? How are you breaking them down ton chapters and 3 menus? You can preview what files? How many slides are in your whole project?

myDVD is really the wrong program to use to create a project as you describe it. You should be using Videowave to create smaller video files and the use myDVD to assemble those and create your menu and burn.

Edited by myguggi

Thanks for replying! I have worked with other editing programs and photoshop, so can manipulate images -- it is the technical detail that hangs me up. I am attaching a copy of a screen print so you can see the slideshows created. They were all made from that MyDVD section, by adding a new slideshow. I did one movie, but it took longer so went back to slideshows. They were all merged together on this one section of the program. I only wanted 2 menus, but it would not let me, and made me create the third one. I can view this file by clicking preview while editing it, or the play arrow in the bottom right corner, and can interactively work with the menus that way.

Part of my frustration is the lack of any real user manual so I could better teach myself the program. I don't think the on-line tutorials are overly instructive. There are about 160 pictures in each slideshow, so about 1,700 pictures total. I was using the "fit to disc" option, and only tried HD when I saw that on another posting in this forum to see if it would work. I would say that the length is about an hour altogether. I am not really sure what videowave is, other than at some points during production I had error messages to indicate that it stopped working and it would close the whole program without letting me save. I hope that answers all the questions, I can't see your reply in this response box! Thanks again!

post-104423-0-12164400-1338867647_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Walt [myguggi] will doubtless be back later to help you further, but in the meantime would you please have a look a the arithmetic of your project?

You say there are about 1,700 pictures in total. You are wanting all these to fit on your disc, which will hold about 1 hour at HQ quality.

Now if each picture was to be displayed for only 5 seconds [a fairly short time] you'd have 1700/12 minutes worth of video, which is about 141 minutes or 2hrs 21 minutes. It could be that you're allowing more than 5 seconds/picture, which makes things even more difficult.

You are going to have an 'interesting' time trying to fit all that video onto one DVD, and if you managed it somehow the resulting video quality is going to be very disappointing. Might I suggest that you consider splitting your project up to fit on 3 discs?

The absence of a manual for Creator 2012 makes things difficult, but the software hasn't changed too much since Creator 2011, so you might find the Creator 2011 manual helpful. It can be downloaded here:

http://images.roxio.com/support/enu/C2011_Manual_ENU.pdf

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brendon!

I actually have most display for only 3 seconds, some even less. I probably also have less than 1700 pics, just a very ballpark number late last night. Unfortunately I must work today so can't work on this problem until later tonight. I don't have a problem going to 2 discs if that is required, but not sure how to do that. Also, the reason I was going to HD was b/c on another reply (while I was trying to figure out what to do) I saw a recommendation to try doing that over "fit to disc" to get the burn to work. I really appreciate the link for the manual and will definitely check that out! I appreciate your input!

Jeanne

'3 seconds'???

That sounds like the visible time, 5 seconds, minus a 2 second transition (one before and one after)... It still comes out to 8500 seconds or 2 hours 22 seconds :wacko:

Let's find out!

Put the Quality to HQ and see what it says:

post-39730-0-82808000-1338902106_thumb.jpg

post-39730-0-00541300-1338902299_thumb.jpg

The change it to an 8.5 GB DVD and see what it says:

post-39730-0-16616200-1338902300_thumb.jpg

post-39730-0-02230700-1338902301_thumb.jpg

Once we know what you have, we will know how to make it work ;)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

When I change it to HQ it says 3778.1 MB used, 921.9 MB Free and Time Remaining is 13:05 -- This is the same if its set to Fit to Disk which indicates its small enough that it will burn at HQ even if set for Fit to Disk

When I change it to 8.5 Gig DVD it says 3778.1 MB used, 4761.9 MB Free and Time Remaining is 1:07:39

It does not appear (to me) that I need a larger capacity DVD. Based on this I don’t think the issue is the size of the project compared to the capacity of a DVD. It seems like it is the menu transition?

When I change it to HQ it says 3778.1 MB used, 921.9 MB Free and Time Remaining is 13:05 -- This is the same if its set to Fit to Disk which indicates its small enough that it will burn at HQ even if set for Fit to Disk

When I change it to 8.5 Gig DVD it says 3778.1 MB used, 4761.9 MB Free and Time Remaining is 1:07:39

It does not appear (to me) that I need a larger capacity DVD. Based on this I don’t think the issue is the size of the project compared to the capacity of a DVD. It seems like it is the menu transition?

I would agree, that the size is not an issue, but it is something that we had to confirm! ;)

The next 2 steps that I would recommend are to try it as a Folder Set:

post-39730-0-91491500-1338920435_thumb.jpg

IF that fails then you want to Repair the install. To do that, you need to...

turn off any Anti Virus software so that it does not interfere.

Insert the Roxio Disc but when it offers, Choose Repair.

turn on your AV and reboot

Hopefully, that will get it going :huh:

Never ever use "Fit-to-disc" - it gives terrible results.

Have you previewed the slideshow using your Preview button? Are you happy with the length of time that the photos are shown? Is the menu the way you want it? Does it function the way you want it?

Your slideshow length appears to be 47 minutes and even if you only have 1500 slides then each slide will only be seen for less then 2 secs. I certainly would not want to watch such a slideshow :huh:

Edited by myguggi

Jim - Thanks for the input. We tried the folder suggestion (did not work) and then did the reinstall/repair which also did not work. The burn to ISO hangs up at the same spot, which is where the menu transition would be. I also sent request to Roxio support which wanted me to disable anti-virus and start-up things, which also did not work. Any other ideas? If not, thanks for trying!

MyGuggi - the preview in Roxio is good and works! The pictures are mostly set for 3 seconds, and for the purposes of our video work for the audience (kids). I must have a lot less photos than I projected...

thanks all for trying to help. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Jeanne

There is Something Wrong within the Project!

That is what will have to be fixed, otherwise nothing is going to make it work...

Sorry but I am a bit under the weather at the moment. One of the others can explain the details but what I suggest is that you take each 'slideshow', within MyDVD, jump to VideoWave and do an Export As.

Lastly, you will need to start a New Project and add these newly created movies to it.

Jim - Thanks for the input. We tried the folder suggestion (did not work) and then did the reinstall/repair which also did not work. The burn to ISO hangs up at the same spot, which is where the menu transition would be. I also sent request to Roxio support which wanted me to disable anti-virus and start-up things, which also did not work. Any other ideas? If not, thanks for trying!

MyGuggi - the preview in Roxio is good and works! The pictures are mostly set for 3 seconds, and for the purposes of our video work for the audience (kids). I must have a lot less photos than I projected...

thanks all for trying to help. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Jeanne

Jeanne, how did you create each slideshow in myDVD? Did you use the "Add Photo/Video" task or the "Add Slideshow" task? If you used the "Add Slideshow" task then you can't try what Jim suggested in post #11 and you maybe have "painted yourself into a corner".

Oh no - they were created with the add slideshow task. Am I totally out of luck? Like I indicated previously, it seems like the problem is with the menu transition to the second menu. Could I perhaps edit that somehow to see if I could get it to work?

Using the Add Slideshow, is an acceptable way to accomplish a project...

It is not the 'normal way' more experanced users would choose, but since it is There, it is Valid :lol:

I don't have the screen shots I need, but I do have an appointment or two :angry:

Check back around Noon (EDT) and I should have something posted that will help you recover your efforts ;)

• Like 1

Today I copied several files and hacked them apart - reducing down to one menu and a few slideshows each. I have (sort of) identified the slideshow that appears to be causing the problem and deleted it. I have 3 separate ISO files with some chapters each, which is NOT ideal but better than trying to recreate this in another program in less than 48 hours. 2 of the discs will play, but the chapter buttons do not highlight. You can use the remote and go up and down (not knowing where you are) and play the different chapters. The 3rd disc works with no problem. Is there a way to get the buttons to work, such as, did I need to activate them somehow?

Since I thought I knew the offending slideshow, I tried to just delete that one slideshow from the original project with all 11 chapters and burn and ISO. It got about 90% and only did 9 of 10 chapters (all of which are on the other 3 discs) and did not do the menus. Errored out with that 8004520c error. (Defragmenting won't fix this error.) So I guess there is still some menu level type of error. Is there any way to tell where the error is?

Then, I will have to recreate the deleted chapter and reincorporate it into the project. I am wondering where this should be created since it was noted that using the add a slideshow option is not good. Again, any input is appreciated!

thanks,

Jeanne

No Jeanne, 'Menus' don't make errors, content does... :(

I am sorry that I don't have the screen caps that I wanted to show you!

What I would do in MyDVD at this point would be to "Edit" each menu item.

That puts you in VideoWave. There you can Export As and create a Movie file for each menu item.

Then you can create a New MyDVD project and add these new Movies to it.

Try a few at first just to make sure it is working!

No Jeanne, 'Menus' don't make errors, content does... :(

I am sorry that I don't have the screen caps that I wanted to show you!

What I would do in MyDVD at this point would be to "Edit" each menu item.

That puts you in VideoWave. There you can Export As and create a Movie file for each menu item.

Then you can create a New MyDVD project and add these new Movies to it.

Try a few at first just to make sure it is working!

Jeanne used the "Add Slideshow" option in myDVD and I don't think you can do an "export" when you have used that option. I would like to be proved wrong in this case since Jeanne has put a lot of work into her prokect

Jeanne used the "Add Slideshow" option in myDVD and I don't think you can do an "export" when you have used that option. I would like to be proved wrong in this case since Jeanne has put a lot of work into her prokect

You are 100% right Walt! it does not do what I was suggesting :(

I appreciate your trying to assist me! I am just curious, though, how should I have created the slideshows so they would export? When I go into roxio to create a dvd, it always takes me to mydvd/add slideshow. Thanks!

Most of us would create the slideshows manually in VideoWave. From there you either Export As or you can use the VW Project file directly in MyDVD...

A better explanation is located Here.

Thanks Jim! I will try that today with the chapter I had to delete. If only I had known, I would have done that to begin with! Do you have any idea why the chapter buttons don't highlight on the dvd's I burn? I am just thankful I have hacked the files down into working dvd's and only have to redo one chapter, but would prefer to have chapters that work a little better on the burn if possible. Once done with this, I will know better next time!

Oh, and just one more question... On the burned discs, a lot of the pictures come up clear when they first display and slowly become more pixelated. OK, just not great. Is there any type of setting I should adjust on the ISO burn to fix that? Thanks!

Thanks Jim! I will try that today with the chapter I had to delete. If only I had known, I would have done that to begin with! Do you have any idea why the chapter buttons don't highlight on the dvd's I burn? I am just thankful I have hacked the files down into working dvd's and only have to redo one chapter, but would prefer to have chapters that work a little better on the burn if possible. Once done with this, I will know better next time!

Oh, and just one more question... On the burned discs, a lot of the pictures come up clear when they first display and slowly become more pixelated. OK, just not great. Is there any type of setting I should adjust on the ISO burn to fix that? Thanks!

I have no idea why the buttons do not work... The ONLY time we have seen this is when too much material was put onto a DVD - 2 hours of material on a 1 hour DVD... The mbps rate was so low that the Player did not behave properly.

Pixely Pictures??? we have assumed that you were set to HQ for output... The only thing that would cause that is a low quality setting or something wrong with your video card.

Thanks. There is definitely enough space on the dvd... And I did HQ for output. The pictures display, just not as clearly as I thought they would. Oh well, I am just glad I have something to use. Thanks!

Thanks. There is definitely enough space on the dvd... And I did HQ for output. The pictures display, just not as clearly as I thought they would. Oh well, I am just glad I have something to use. Thanks!

What resolution were the pic's shot at?