bill - chicago

Video Capture Crashing - 2.0.1 (134)

Question

I just installed this software and it crashes every time I try to copy a VHS tape. Some times it does 15 to 20 minutes other times in a few minutes. I am running OSX 10.7.4. Is there a resolution to this? I see other people have had this problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

PS I also noticed that the disk space indicator does not match what actual disk space i have available now either.

6 answers to this question

It's working for me. My guess is there is something wrong with the application's preferences file or your Mac has a directory problem. The first can be fixed by trashing the preference file in your user Library which is accessed by holding down the Option key while selecting the Go menu in the Finder. The latter requires use of the First Aid in Disk Utility or better yet Disk Warrior.

I tired deleting the preference files last night that did not help. I also ran disk utility as well to no avail.

I think the USB card is overheating. It worked fine this morning for about an hour. Then would not work for more than 5 to 10 minutes. It was very hot when I unplugged it. After it cooled down it was working fine again until it got hot.

Does you card get warm after using it?

I tired deleting the preference files last night that did not help. I also ran disk utility as well to no avail.

I think the USB card is overheating. It worked fine this morning for about an hour. Then would not work for more than 5 to 10 minutes. It was very hot when I unplugged it. After it cooled down it was working fine again until it got hot.

Does you card get warm after using it?

Very warm yes but not hot. Several years ago my brother owned a analog-to-digital device that also got hot and he finally resorted to putting it in the freezer before using it. That way he got a little more use out of it. What setting are you using? Are you using the medium quality h.264 setting or the high quality Apple Intermediate Codec setting?

I have been using high, but was thinking about trying medium quality to see if I can tell any difference. I thought I read somewhere I had to use high if was going to do any editing in imove?

I have been using high, but was thinking about trying medium quality to see if I can tell any difference. I thought I read somewhere I had to use high if was going to do any editing in imove?

The h.264 video recorded at medium quality also works in iMovie. You may find that it is every bit as good but a much smaller video file.

Since I switched to medium quality I have not had any problems. I was able to complete about 6 VHS tapes last week. So there is an issue with high quality with my setup. Not sure it is software or the hardware. Anyways medium quality is fine for VHS tapes so I am good to go.