Creator 2012 Does Not See My Rewriteable Disc

Chippychap

Question

Hi Guys, tried to use a rewriteable DVD disc to backup some videos.

On some other software it recognises disc needs to be erased and does it automatically as part of the procedure.

Found how to do that with Creator i.e. do it as a seperate task before using the disc to write on.

"insert a blank disc" is all I get. Not a mega problem as I can use other disc stock but am I missing something?

I am trying to use a Maxell disc

Thank you

Hi Guys, tried to use a rewriteable DVD disc to backup some videos.

On some other software it recognises disc needs to be erased and does it automatically as part of the procedure.

Found how to do that with Creator i.e. do it as a seperate task before using the disc to write on.

"insert a blank disc" is all I get. Not a mega problem as I can use other disc stock but am I missing something?

I am trying to use a Maxell disc

Thank you

In what application of C2012?

Is it a + - RW?

• Like 1

It is a DVD-RW.

I tried using the feature in "Tools" to erase disc.

I used to use the DVD Express in 2010 Creator to burn 4 or 5 movies on one DVD and TBH cannot remember if I used to use write once discs or rewriteable but never had this problem.

Now that DVD Express has gone I am still thrutching around 2012 to get it to do the same kind of writing task but cannot clear this first hurdle.

I can use cheaper software but would really like to master this particular beastie.

As an aside DG I LOVE the links you have as your sig. How clever and most useful

Edited by Chippychap

Have you only tried this one disc or several. RW discs do go bad sometimes and have a limited number of write/erase cycles. Soemtimes hunderds and sometimes less than a dozen.

How old is your computer? Is it possible that the optical burner has burned out or has become misaligned? What does the burner manufacturer recommend for use on that burner?

• Like 1

The drive is about a year old.

Other software sees the disc so it might be that it is Creator that does not like this brand of disc.

Will try another one.

What did 2012 add to replace DVD Express?

I am going to try to write four movies onto one DVD, maybe using the write as data function.

As I say I have not found my way round the programme yet.

Have just tried a cheapo one-time write disc and Creator LOVED it.

Put five movies on a DVD withing 10 minutes as "data-write"

Very impressive bit o' kit.

Looking forward, now, to playing with it more fully.

Thank you for your help

A different disc worked first time.

Perhaps Creator does not like my drive.

Has nothing to do with Roxio. It is your burner as Jim posted that did not like the other discs.

Burning video to a DVD as data does not create a DVD that can be played on all stand-alone DVD players. Most likely the video format is DivX which some DVD players recognize.

Even though Creator will not erase the disc knowing not what I wish to do with it?

The Tools option to erase the disc is totally apart from ANY creator option and it cannot see the disc.

I switch to a different software and it not only erases the disc but writes on it.

So I am still bamboozled but at least I have a workround.

Even though Creator will not erase the disc knowing not what I wish to do with it?

The Tools option to erase the disc is totally apart from ANY creator option and it cannot see the disc.

I switch to a different software and it not only erases the disc but writes on it.

So I am still bamboozled but at least I have a workround.

No Roxio application, get disc info, or erase disc will see your drive with a disc in it?

Try a -R or +R can Roxio see it now?

I really am not slagging off Roxio.

All I know is that Roxio offers a totally function independant tool to "erase the disc". This does not work at all with my erasable disc.

I use the same disc with different software and, hey presto, the disc can be erased and written on.

The only difference seems to be Creator 2012

I change the disc and Roxio will write on it.

I really am not after confrontation just reporting what is happening.

Chippychap,

If you can erase and write on that same rewriteable disc with other software then it seems improbable that the drive is at fault.

Tell me please, if you erase that disc with other software, will Creator 2012 then write on it?

Brendon

What a brilliant question.

At present because the other software, ConvertXtoDVD, erases and then writes onto the disc as a complete process I have not tried that.

I don't have another stand-alone eraser apart from Creator.

I have a blank/new erasable disc that I will try to write on and let you know.

Thank you Brendon.

I don't have another stand-alone eraser apart from Creator.

I have a blank/new erasable disc that I will try to write on and let you know.

Try bringing up My Computer, and then right-clicking on the DVD drive with that RW disc in. You should see an 'Erase this disc' option, or something similar.

Brendon

Right.

I took a new disc, erasable, and with right-click on the "computer" menu used the "erase Disc" function.

My PC saw the disc in the drive and "erased" it

The disc is now in Roxio having a movie written on it.

Whih, TBH, has left me not really knowing what the result is.

At least Creator is writing on the new disc.

Going to lie down whilst my head pops.

Next test is to see if Creator will erase this newly written disc.........................................pop.

Thanks Brendon.

Right.

I took a new disc, erasable, and with right-click on the "computer" menu used the "erase Disc" function.

My PC saw the disc in the drive and "erased" it

The disc is now in Roxio having a movie written on it.

Whih, TBH, has left me not really knowing what the result is.

Next test is to see if Creator will erase this newly written disc.........................................pop.

Thanks Brendon.

DVD-RW is a odd duck, least supported media in my drives firmware.

All RW media is flaky and burn speeds are slow and cause more problems than they are worth in my opinion.

I prefer to use -R or +R media and waste the 30 cents.

No more head pops and waste of my time....

I was just about to post that Creator HAS seen AND erased the disc

Didn't mean to "WASTE YOUR TIME"

Won't happen again you unpleasant man

What happened since post # 3? :lol:

I went from clever to unpleasant man! :unsure:

As an aside DG I LOVE the links you have as your sig. How clever and most useful

has left me not really knowing what the result is.

Yes, I've been there. Rewriteables can give some bizarre results at times, and you don't know how to interpret them.

Now your Creator is giving expected results with the new disc, you could try this final experiment.

-erase the old RW disc with Windows right-click or some other method.

-see if Creator will recognize the presence of the freshly erased old disc.

If it doesn't, then it's likely that some area or areas of the old disc have failed and the program isn't getting the signal that there is a disc ready in the drive. Some of the system areas of an RW disc get rewritten very often, and they eventually get to the point that the thin film of alloy under the laser won't change state any more. This happens long before the general data areas of the disc 'wear out', and such odd behavior is a good sign it's time to get anything valuable off, and retire the disc.

Regards,

Brendon

DVD-RW is a odd duck, least supported media in my drives firmware.

All RW media is flaky and burn speeds are slow and cause more problems than they are worth in my opinion.

I prefer to use -R or +R media and waste the 30 cents.

No more head pops and waste of my time....

I am considering using DVD RW media, for testing purposes, since I am using expensive dual layer DVD's for final output. I had to throw one in the trash and that seemed such a waste. Do you think good quality RW single layer DVD's would be appropriate in my situation? Can you address some of the problems they have caused?

I don't know why these others have so much trouble with RW media??? :huh:

I use both Plus & Dash RW media with some discs going back to 2007. Most have exceeded the 100 record/erase cycles and I don't even bother to keep records on them any more.

I do a lot of testing here trying to duplicate problems so RW's are a MUST! (recently you can add RE's from BD discs 50 & 75 cycles for them)

Brands vary but Verbatim (Singapore) and Taiyo Yuden (JVC) are known to be good! And I have had good luck with HP & Sony although they do not actually make any discs ;)

I do not use RW/RE's for anything I value!!! it is only temporary media and does wear out so R's have thier place too!