Fisheye

.vob Files

Question

Hello,

This is probably a very stupid question, but . . . . I need to get an 80 minute film onto Vimeo (password protected) for e-screenings for critics, media types, and theater owners. I have made good DVDs and Blu-ray discs of this film with Toast 11. I use a 58 GB .mov file (Final Cut Express, no conversion, self-contained) when I make these Blu-rays or DVDs. Obviously, 58 GB is too large, even with Vimeo's $200 pro account. I am very weak at exporting with compression out of FCE; I usually end up with a poor-looking movie that took 5+ hours to export. So, I had the idea of using the .vob files created in the Toast file to upload to Vimeo, or convert the .VOB files and then upload them. For the DVD, there are 5 .VOB files in the TS_Video folder that come to about 4 GB, total. Does anyone have experience getting all of those together into one, 4GB file to upload? Is there a way Toast could handle what I am hoping to do?

Thanks for any help!

Mike

4 answers to this question

Toast can create a single video file from the multiple VOBs on the DVD (or the disc image). The way I do this is insert the DVD and choose the Video tab in the Toast Media Browser. In the upper part of the browser window I go to DVD and then I can select individual titles (or chapters) from that DVD. I drag the title I want to the main Toast window and a new window opens giving me the option to select just portions of that title. Since I want the whole thing I just click Add and add it all.

What I should have mentioned first is you should have Video Files selected in the Toast Convert window. With the video title from the DVD added there click the Convert button and choose H.264 Player as the Device and Best for quality. There is a Preview button where you can see a short clip of how it looks. If all is okay, complete the conversion. If not, go to the Custom setting and manually adjust the h.264 settings.

This does mean the video is being re-encoded. If you want the best you could do those same settings in FCE's export. Choose h.264 and the resolution, aspect ratio and frame rate there. Is there anyone who can advise you about what size (resolution) they expect to be viewing?

Vimeo has become the go-to site for video on the web. Numbers of video files are uploaded and shared on Vimeo in every second. Although a wide range of video formats such as AVI, WMV, MOV, 3GP,FLV, MPEG-4,etc are supported by Vimeo or other uploading sites, VOB is not included in the list. If you wanna share VOB videos on Vimeo, you may have to encode VOB to Vimeo supported video formats first.

Vimeo has become the go-to site for video on the web. Numbers of video files are uploaded and shared on Vimeo in every second. Although a wide range of video formats such as AVI, WMV, MOV, 3GP,FLV, MPEG-4,etc are supported by Vimeo or other uploading sites, VOB is not included in the list. If you wanna share VOB videos on Vimeo, you may have to encode VOB to Vimeo supported video formats first.

Do you realize you just responded to a 3 year old thread? :wacko: