Toast 11

KrPhotogs

Question

I am having lots or problems with this product. I just loaded the Beta version hoping that would solve the problem but no.... Toast Titanium keeps showing up as 'Not Responding' when I am trying to copy files to it to create a data disc. As I drag the files to it, this little color wheel shows up on the app - and it is unresponsive. I force it to quit, but quite often this pattern repeats itself.

Is there a better product out there just to burn CDs (I am a photographer and sell photo CDs)?

Running on the latest and greatest OS from iMac.

Kevin

6 answers to this question

No replies?

I've always liked Toast for basic disk burning, and I haven't had the same problems that have recently been reported on this forum. I had hoped the Blu-Ray option would be satisfactory, but the lack of a way to name chapters or go beyond the limited menu options forced me to boot camp my MacBook Pro so I could take advantage of the far superior TMPGEnc 5 Windows software for Blu-Ray creation. I still edit and sound upgrade projects on the Mac side in iMovie 6.0.3, but then export the file to Windows where I produce the Blu-Ray. I'm still stuck with the Apple Intermediate Codec (1440 x 1080), so I don't have full 1920 x 1080 resolution, but I can at least name my chapters and create my own menus from templates provided by TMPGEnc. I'm hopeful that either Apple will or Roxio will eventually provide a decent Blu-Ray option, but, until then, I'll have a split cyber-personality.

I am having lots or problems with this product. I just loaded the Beta version hoping that would solve the problem but no.... Toast Titanium keeps showing up as 'Not Responding' when I am trying to copy files to it to create a data disc. As I drag the files to it, this little color wheel shows up on the app - and it is unresponsive. I force it to quit, but quite often this pattern repeats itself.

Is there a better product out there just to burn CDs (I am a photographer and sell photo CDs)?

Running on the latest and greatest OS from iMac.

Kevin

What settings are you using in the Toast Data window? Is it Photo Disc? Tell me about the file type for your images and anything else that can help me test this out on my own system. For some reason Toast is having trouble reading your files when they are being added. Are you dragging in folders or the photos themselves?

It is just a data disc - created for both Windows and Mac. There is nothing unusual that I can think of - simple file structure with the jpegs in two folders.

It does not hang when the files are being dragged in - but it will often hang before I even try. I have the activity window open, and will see the app go no responsive. When I put the cursor over the application - it shows it as busy. I also cannot seem to find the sequence of events that causes it to hang - tonight as example it ran fine.

It is just a data disc - created for both Windows and Mac. There is nothing unusual that I can think of - simple file structure with the jpegs in two folders.

It does not hang when the files are being dragged in - but it will often hang before I even try. I have the activity window open, and will see the app go no responsive. When I put the cursor over the application - it shows it as busy. I also cannot seem to find the sequence of events that causes it to hang - tonight as example it ran fine.

Interesting. When Toast launches it establishes communication with the optical drive. Perhaps it is hanging while waiting for some information from the drive. It's odd that the problem is intermittent. Try inserting a blank disc in the drive before launching Toast to see if the same thing happens.

I have been having this exact same problem ever since I upgraded from 10. When 11.0.6 became available I updated and it became worse, so I went back to 11.0.4 and it was better but it has come back every so often. Since this is my primary computer it has only the software that is used and needed for work, I am a commercial photographer, so we can not be down with computer foulups caused by software. This is a major issue as I always have used Toast to archive. I have used Toast for archiving since Toast was created and I have only had one failure to read since. That was a bad DVD that was not realized when it was written, only when it was put back into read after a few years. Since I always put the DVD/CD's in a hard case after burning and I purchase in bulk 100 stack, no one noticed several scratches on the DVD, but they were there. STrange yes but it happens, good reason to always write 2 at a time.