raul415

Creating A One "page" Main Menu

Question

I find Roxio Creator 2012 Pro to be pretty swell however, when I am making a menu for a film and I try to create a one page main menu with both the whole movie and the chapters on the main menu it is incredibly tough to do.

This is how the process normally goes:

Add the movie to main menu, make a copy of original movie to use as the chapter menu source, create chapter menus. When chapters are created I go to each chapter, select all, cut the menus and go back to main menu and paste them in no problem.

The trouble comes in trying to delete the now empty chapter menus. Sometime I will delete all of the orginal content from the chapter menu (buttons etc.) hoping that this will make a now empty chapter menu easier to delete.

Most of the times this works after quite a few trys and alot of "videowave is not responding" messages and shutdowns and restarts.

I cannot be the only perosn trying to have my way with the menus in Creator.

Is there any wisdom that you can pass on to make this process less time consuming.

Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

Is there any wisdom that you can pass on to make this process less time consuming.

Well first you double posted once in C2011 then in C2012.

I see someone has deleted the C2011 post.

What version of the software do you use?

Do your home work below..

Creator 2009-12 / Easy Media Creator Tutorials

Roxio Tutorials on Youtube

Roxio Central Learning Center

Roxio MyMoments Tips and Tutorials

Beginner Tips for VideoWave and PhotoSuite

Steve's (sknis) Roxio EMC and Creator Tutorials

Generally it is difficult to get enough buttons on one menu page to do what you are asking...

A partial solution would be the use of Unlinked Buttons...

Add your movie and set the Chapters:

post-39730-0-45152100-1341313809_thumb.jpg

(note that 'Update Chapter Menu' is UNchecked)

Add the Unlinked Buttons:

post-39730-0-69927400-1341313812_thumb.jpg

Give the Unlinked Buttons names and set the Go to & Play from Links for each one:

post-39730-0-86157500-1341313815_thumb.jpg

The first (default) button will act as a Play All and the succeeding buttons like chapters...

You will still hit the stone wall of max buttons! :wacko:

Note in the Project View of my last pic the button order! In adding the last button, I exceeded the number for one menu and was added just under the "PlayAll"... Just have to keep an eye on that when naming and setting the links for each one, otherwise your navigation will get scrambled ;)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

I double posted because I have both versions 2011 and an upgraded 2012. I use both.

Please advise on 2012 Pro.

Thanks

I double posted because I have both versions 2011 and an upgraded 2012. I use both.

Please advise on 2012 Pro.

Thanks

Done That!

Did you miss the pics :lol:

Thank you so much for the illustrated reply! Buttons is a brillant idea but you're right you do run out of button options on one page.

I just created a film following the proccedure I outlined in my first post but this time I just left the unlinked buttons unlinked and it seemed to work fine.

I guess the bottomline is that this is no direct way to make these changes without a little trickery.

I really appreciate the work you put into responding to my question.

Thanks!

One ’rule’ I try to follow is KISSKeep It Simple Silly :lol:

In the majority of cases, people will watch a movie to See the Movie! Have you ever rented a DVD/BD just to see the navigation menu :huh:

When you subscribe to this simple reality, it sure makes life easier…

Of course there are cases where that is unavoidable! In those cases having Chapter Menus, on separate pages is a built in function and perfect for those cases!

Here is posting about Chapters & Scenes.