• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Received the typical Windows Update notification. Opened Win Update and the following download window opened. "Internet Explorer - Security Warning", Do you want to install this software? Name: Windows Update, Publisher: Microsoft Windows Component Publisher. The window also shows "More Options" which when clicked on shows the following: Always Install, Never Install, Ask me Every time. Then there are two boxes to check. One for Install, the other for Don't Install.

I have never had the window apppear before when opening Windows Update. In fact, when the window is closed without installing the download, the Windows Update does not proceed to open. Is this a legitimate download? The reason I ask is the notification about the risk of installing software included in this window. Unfortunately, my wife first encountered this pop up window on her laptop and decided to check the "Never Install" box. Now she cannot get Windows Update to open. Another window opens that indicates the website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page. It then provides steps to resolve the problem, none of which work. What I did notice in the Windows Update Page is that the "Manage Add-ons" at the bottom of the window has a red circle with an x in the center. This obviously indicates that the Manage Add-ons is disabled. Followed the instructions provided but all of the add-ons appear to be enabled. Have not been able to turn on Manage Add-ons.

Help would be appreciated.

The updates I've seen for Windows Update itself usually say something like "The software needs to be updated" but not in a pop up window.These usually replace the little bar that moves when it first loads.

Have you looked on Microsofts website?

I've never seen any Manage Add-Ons for Windows Update.

You are probably seeing something that is actually for Internet Explorer.

Where are these directions coming from that you're following?

You may have encountered malicious software.

You might want to try Microsoft to see if they can be of any help since it is their product.

Received the typical Windows Update notification. Opened Win Update and the following download window opened. "Internet Explorer - Security Warning", Do you want to install this software? Name: Windows Update, Publisher: Microsoft Windows Component Publisher. The window also shows "More Options" which when clicked on shows the following: Always Install, Never Install, Ask me Every time. Then there are two boxes to check. One for Install, the other for Don't Install.

I have never had the window apppear before when opening Windows Update. In fact, when the window is closed without installing the download, the Windows Update does not proceed to open. Is this a legitimate download? The reason I ask is the notification about the risk of installing software included in this window. Unfortunately, my wife first encountered this pop up window on her laptop and decided to check the "Never Install" box. Now she cannot get Windows Update to open. Another window opens that indicates the website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page. It then provides steps to resolve the problem, none of which work. What I did notice in the Windows Update Page is that the "Manage Add-ons" at the bottom of the window has a red circle with an x in the center. This obviously indicates that the Manage Add-ons is disabled. Followed the instructions provided but all of the add-ons appear to be enabled. Have not been able to turn on Manage Add-ons.

Help would be appreciated.

What operating system are you running on the PC's you get that warning?

Sounds like XP and it's a ActiveX control before installing Microsoft Windows Updater newer software.

In windows seven IE isn't a issue the updater directly connects to MS Windows Update.

I ran Windows seven updater this morning and I did get this software update!

post-97-0-27817300-1342184435_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-15892900-1342184436_thumb.jpg

Sorry that I have not responded sooner. The 24hr bug got me down. In any event, the problem has been rectified. Had to contact Microsoft and it cost me $99 to get it done. It wasn't a simple task as one might suspect from info posted on the web and the directions also supplied by Microsoft. The Microsoft directions were obtained by Googling the error code 0x8DDD0004 that accompanied the page that eventually came up after the Windows Update page did not open. The Microsoft technician spent about an hour working on my computer. Attempted several different methods to correct, none of which worked. Finally had to change to a new user account on my computer and upgrade to IE8 and then transfer all my files to the new user account. I don't know if remaining with IE7 would also have worked. Slowly getting used to IE8, but at this point would prefer IE7. Do not like how the browser search bar functions in IE8. Oh well.

Here's what really gets me. This was the first time I have experienced the pop up window, "I. E. - Security Warning". Never had it occur before. So I can't be too hard on my wife for not understanding what to do. Fortunately, I was able to see this pop up window on the other two computers, and of course I downloaded the update. Why in the world would Microsoft frame this download as something that might be optional, when in fact it is mandatory if one wishes to be able to open the Windows Update page as witnessed by the subsequent results of not doing so. For example, the wording within the pop up window is as follows; "Do you want to install this software?" In addition, the window contained a "More Options" radio button which included, Always install, Never Install and Ask Me Every Time. Then there was the disclaimer or cautionary message at the bottom, and I have to paraphrase, that read if you didn't know the author there may be risks with the download. It seems to me that there should not have been the question, "Do you want to download?" Rather, it should have at least explained the consequence of not downloading. As to the Manage Add-Ons button that appeared at the bottom right of the Windows Update page, it is not normally seen on this page. It did appear after choosing the Never Install option and then clicking on install. This selection evidently removed some necessary Active X files, since the Manage Add-Ons button now appeared with a red circle and slash line through the circle indicating that some files were disabled or removed.

I apologize for the rather lengthy response, but I thought it might be a valuable lesson to anyone else that might encounter this "Security Warning" pop up when going to Windows Update. Be sure to just download the update.

Sorry that I have not responded sooner. The 24hr bug got me down. In any event, the problem has been rectified. Had to contact Microsoft and it cost me $99 to get it done. It wasn't a simple task as one might suspect from info posted on the web and the directions also supplied by Microsoft. The Microsoft directions were obtained by Googling the error code 0x8DDD0004 that accompanied the page that eventually came up after the Windows Update page did not open. The Microsoft technician spent about an hour working on my computer. Attempted several different methods to correct, none of which worked. Finally had to change to a new user account on my computer and upgrade to IE8 and then transfer all my files to the new user account. I don't know if remaining with IE7 would also have worked. Slowly getting used to IE8, but at this point would prefer IE7. Do not like how the browser search bar functions in IE8. Oh well.

Here's what really gets me. This was the first time I have experienced the pop up window, "I. E. - Security Warning". Never had it occur before. So I can't be too hard on my wife for not understanding what to do. Fortunately, I was able to see this pop up window on the other two computers, and of course I downloaded the update. Why in the world would Microsoft frame this download as something that might be optional, when in fact it is mandatory if one wishes to be able to open the Windows Update page as witnessed by the subsequent results of not doing so. For example, the wording within the pop up window is as follows; "Do you want to install this software?" In addition, the window contained a "More Options" radio button which included, Always install, Never Install and Ask Me Every Time. Then there was the disclaimer or cautionary message at the bottom, and I have to paraphrase, that read if you didn't know the author there may be risks with the download. It seems to me that there should not have been the question, "Do you want to download?" Rather, it should have at least explained the consequence of not downloading. As to the Manage Add-Ons button that appeared at the bottom right of the Windows Update page, it is not normally seen on this page. It did appear after choosing the Never Install option and then clicking on install. This selection evidently removed some necessary Active X files, since the Manage Add-Ons button now appeared with a red circle and slash line through the circle indicating that some files were disabled or removed.

I apologize for the rather lengthy response, but I thought it might be a valuable lesson to anyone else that might encounter this "Security Warning" pop up when going to Windows Update. Be sure to just download the update.

I asked one question and out of that rather lengthy response you couldn't answer it!

You saw the warning in XP often updating from Windows Update.

$99.00 no wonder Bill has so much cash...

I am using Win XP, and I was using IE7 at the time this event occurred. Moreover, the pop up warning message was nothing like the warning message as show in cdanteeks post. The one illustrated in cdanteeks post is quite clear and not confusing. Had my wife encountered this warning she would have downloaded the update. Here's a question for cdanteek. Why do you think your update message was different than what appeared on all 3 of our computers. All are XP computers.

One other question for cdanteek. I don't quite comprehend your statement, "You saw the warning in XP often updating from windows update." If you're inferring that this popup warning is typical or common, I can tell you that this was the first time I can recall this occurring. My recollection is that whenever going to Windows Update, the page opened and then next opened another page where it shows your computer is being checked for updates.

I am using Win XP, and I was using IE7 at the time this event occurred. Moreover, the pop up warning message was nothing like the warning message as show in cdanteeks post. The one illustrated in cdanteeks post is quite clear and not confusing. Had my wife encountered this warning she would have downloaded the update. Here's a question for cdanteek. Why do you think your update message was different than what appeared on all 3 of our computers. All are XP computers.

One other question for cdanteek. I don't quite comprehend your statement, "You saw the warning in XP often updating from windows update." If you're inferring that this popup warning is typical or common, I can tell you that this was the first time I can recall this occurring. My recollection is that whenever going to Windows Update, the page opened and then next opened another page where it shows your computer is being checked for updates.

I asked what operating system you were running, you never answered the question!

What I showed was windows 7 and it had a software update.

XP had many windows updates for windows update software and I've seen the warning several times over the years.

Please re-read sentence #2 in post # 3..

Is this the warning you got when you went to update your XP PC with windows update?

post-97-0-49778300-1342296221_thumb.jpg

The warning you show in your last post is the warning that was received. This is what my wife found confusing. It was the sentence about files from the Internet can be useful, et al that concerned her and apparently caused her to select "Never install..." I'm not going to question that these updates may have occurred through the years, but they must have been very infrequent because as stated previously, I cannot recall seeing one before this past week. I know my memory isn't as good as when I was younger, but I don't believe it has gotten that bad. You're correct. It was an active x file that was missing as I described in a previous post. I am now curious how you were able to obtain that IE Warning Update window as shown in your last post. I tried to locate it on the web and on Microsoft's website. It was hoped that if I found this update and was able to download it, the problem would have been rectified.

Thanks again for your input. It's always informative.

The warning you show in your last post is the warning that was received. This is what my wife found confusing. It was the sentence about files from the Internet can be useful, et al that concerned her and apparently caused her to select "Never install..." I'm not going to question that these updates may have occurred through the years, but they must have been very infrequent because as stated previously, I cannot recall seeing one before this past week. I know my memory isn't as good as when I was younger, but I don't believe it has gotten that bad. You're correct. It was an active x file that was missing as I described in a previous post. I am now curious how you were able to obtain that IE Warning Update window as shown in your last post. I tried to locate it on the web and on Microsoft's website. It was hoped that if I found this update and was able to download it, the problem would have been rectified.

Thanks again for your input. It's always informative.

Not a ActiveX file missing. MS through IE puts a ActiveX on your PC before downloading and installing the Software update. The warning asks always install, never install, or ask me. Here is IE 8 and where the ActiveX goes when you say always install..See the scond pic below.

Where I found the warning pic, link below then, 22 rows down 3 item from the left.

https://www.google.c...w=1920&bih=1036

post-97-0-63428000-1342303146_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-68683700-1342303148_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for your help and info. I followed the steps you show and got to the downloaded program files. However, the files shown on my computer are very much unlike those on your computer, and there are none indicated as Active X Control. The files listed are as follows:

MS Genuine Advantage Self Support Tool

MUWEBControl Class dated 6/14/2012

Office Gen. Advant. Val. Tool

Shockwave Flash Object

Win. Gen. Adv. Val. Tool

WUWEBControl Class file dated 1/15/2011

Also thanks for indicating how you found the warning image. Presumably, this is just an image not a functioning downloadable update that could have been used to correct the problem.

Thanks again for your help and info. I followed the steps you show and got to the downloaded program files. However, the files shown on my computer are very much unlike those on your computer, and there are none indicated as Active X Control. The files listed are as follows:

MS Genuine Advantage Self Support Tool

MUWEBControl Class dated 6/14/2012

Office Gen. Advant. Val. Tool

Shockwave Flash Object

Win. Gen. Adv. Val. Tool

WUWEBControl Class file dated 1/15/2011

Also thanks for indicating how you found the warning image. Presumably, this is just an image not a functioning downloadable update that could have been used to correct the problem.

That could of been done by running XP Windows Update again and choosing Always Install Software From "Microsoft Windows Component Publisher"!

And I didn't charge you $99.00 for that information.. :)

Most regulars around here have the skills to solve problems in Roxio software and windows operating systems including legacy windows operating systems. You just have to explain it the best you can and give us a try. None charge $99.00 for the info. ;)

I may be misunderstanding your comment "That could of been done by 'running' XP Windows Update again and choosing Always Install Software From 'Microsoft Windows Component Publisher'". However, the opportunity to run this update again, as presumably indicated by your comment it would have become available again simply by exiting from Windows Update and then opening it again, just was not the case. It never became available again on the computer. In otherwords, each time I went to Windows Update after my wife made her selection of Never Install, and the attempt was made several times, the Update page never progressed further and the pop up window "IE - Security Warning" window never appeared again. What did occur after a few moments was the opening of a new page that advised an error had occurred. In the upper right corner of the page was the error code 0x8DDD0004. Googling this error code takes you to a list of solutions. I chose the Microsoft listed solution. Following the Microsoft instructions for solving the problem did not solve the problem. Hence, I chose to go to Microsoft and pay the fee. They did solve the problem.

By the way, I believe I did do what you indicate in your last post. That is, explain the problem as best you can and give us a try. I more or less gave up on seeking a solution here when the initial response was that I may have malicious software on the computer (always seems to be a common response), and then thereafter you illustrate what you got on your Windows 7 operating system, while my operating system is Win XP which should have been evident since I do have my equipment specs listed. Thanks anyway for your effort. I do appreciate the help. You did provide me with useful information that will be helpful to me in the future.

I may be misunderstanding your comment "That could of been done by 'running' XP Windows Update again and choosing Always Install Software From 'Microsoft Windows Component Publisher'". However, the opportunity to run this update again, as presumably indicated by your comment it would have become available again simply by exiting from Windows Update and then opening it again, just was not the case. It never became available again on the computer. In otherwords, each time I went to Windows Update after my wife made her selection of Never Install, and the attempt was made several times, the Update page never progressed further and the pop up window "IE - Security Warning" window never appeared again. What did occur after a few moments was the opening of a new page that advised an error had occurred. In the upper right corner of the page was the error code 0x8DDD0004. Googling this error code takes you to a list of solutions. I chose the Microsoft listed solution. Following the Microsoft instructions for solving the problem did not solve the problem. Hence, I chose to go to Microsoft and pay the fee. They did solve the problem.

By the way, I believe I did do what you indicate in your last post. That is, explain the problem as best you can and give us a try. I more or less gave up on seeking a solution here when the initial response was that I may have malicious software on the computer (always seems to be a common response), and then thereafter you illustrate what you got on your Windows 7 operating system, while my operating system is Win XP which should have been evident since I do have my equipment specs listed. Thanks anyway for your effort. I do appreciate the help. You did provide me with useful information that will be helpful to me in the future.

Sorry I missed the XP in your signature.

The MS tech took you for a ride IMO.

All that was needed was a reset of Internet Explorer and it would revert what your wife did and offer the warning box again.

http://support.micro...23737#appliesto

post-97-0-10961500-1342363073_thumb.jpg

As a matter of fact, this is the very first step the MS tech did in attempting to solve the problem. I can confirm this because I watched on my computer screen as he entered cmd and then typed inetcpl.cpl. He went through the steps, came back to Windows Update page and discovered that nothing had changed. He came back on the phone to tell me that he needed to try something else and to just wait on line as he will be back in a few moments. As stated previously, he spent about an hour getting the problem resolved. I doubt this is what MS would want him to do. It's evident by the nature of your comments about MS that you do not have a high regard for them. It really shows. I guess they must have done you some harm.

When I answered first I gave you some thoughts I had.

As I never remember seeing a pop up for Windows Update or a Manage Add ons I gave some choices.

Sorry if you didn't like them.

Directed to tbrewst...it's not that I did not like your suggestion, it's just that the suggestion seemed irrelevent at that point in time. According to my wife, the computer indicated there were Windows Updates; she opened the Win Update webpage, and then the Security Warning pop-up appeared. Based on this info I just didn't believe malicious software was involved, particularly because I subsequently logged on to my other 2 computer, after she showed me what was happening, and opened the Win Update page on each of the other 2 computers. There it was. The pop up window with the IE Security Warning statement running across the top of the window. I did not do anything else except click on the install button for the update install. No problems with getting to the Win Update page and to the updates that appeared thereafter.