• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
singlelife

Burning Standard Def On A Blu-Ray

Question

Hello, first time posting here, thanks for your time!

I just recently built a new computer, core i5 3570 Ivy Bridge and 8gb memory. Graphics are Intel Graphics 4000 on the CPU chip. I also installed a LG blu-ray disc burner. Windows 7 Pro 64.

I copied a bunch of documentaries that I had recorded from an old stand alone DVD recorder hooked to the TV to my hard drive. The files are about 44 minutes of mpeg-2 video each and were in the 750 MB size range. The frame size is 352x480 at 4 mbps. This is mainly VHS quality but good enough. I bought the blu-ray burner with the intention of putting these programs onto a blu-ray to play back in standard def only, no high definition video is intended. I assumed with the expanded space of blu-ray, I could put many more documentaries on one of these 25gb discs, reducing the number of discs in my collection. I already have a Philips blu-ray player hooked to the TV.

I started up MY DVD and chose a 25gb disc. I put one file in the play list and it showed it taking 3.1 gb! I went to project settings and there is very little to change, the video format was AVC. I assume it wants to convert the video to a large frame size. I changed it to mpeg-2 and the file size actually enlarged a little, I had also chose "same as original".

I've burned plenty of DVD's in my time, but it seems with blu-ray, it's a whole other ball game. So I guess my questions are this:

Are 352x480 videos in mpeg-2 even valid for a blu-ray?

Does the video have to be converted to a different file type?

My stand alone blu-ray player cannot play AVCHD videos recorded on a blu-ray disc (it can play them if it's on an SD card).

I also have Power Director 10 from Cyberlink. It also wants to turn these files into 3.3 gb sizes using 720x480/60i quality. I know it's probably trying to use a really high bit rate that's making it bigger. I suppose 4 mbps is invalid for a blu-ray?

I read that you can put up to 23 hours of standard def on a blu-ray disc. At this rate, I can only put about 7 documentaries on one 25g blu-ray when I could get 5 on the original DVD!

Attached is a screen shot, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank-you!

post-38071-0-64462900-1342934106_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Hang on Alice, we are going down the Video Rabbit Hole :lol:

Video is measured in Time, never file size...

Of course disc capacity limits the time so one could say that file size influences time ;)

But all Movies have to be Rendered into a very specific format and the disc Authored in a specific format in order for a Player to play them... They are not simply files slapped on a disc!

Here is a list of what will fit on various media when rendered to specific levels of Quality:

DVD Time

4.7Gb:

HQ = 1:06

SP = 1:37

LP = 2:22

ELP = 3:04

8.5 Gb:

HQ = 2:00

SP = 2:57

LP = 4:19

ELP = 5:35

AVCHD on a 4.7 DVD
(thanks to ggrussell)
  • HQ – 00:40:24 @ 1920 X 1080P = 40 min
  • SP – 00:50:16 @ 1920 X 1080I
  • LP – 1:00:00 @ 1440 X 1080I
  • EP – 1:24:31 1280 X 720P

AVCHD on 8.5 DVD
  • HQ – 1:13
  • SP – 1:24
  • LP – 1:39
  • EP – 2:15

Blu-ray 25 GB Capacity:
  • HQ— 3:29
  • SP— 4:00
  • LP— 4:43
  • EP— 6:24

Blu-ray 50 GB Capacity:

• HQ— 6:59
  • SP— 8:02
  • LP— 9:27
  • EP— 12:50

:huh:

However you can see that AVCHD & BD open up a whole new world to us in both Time & Quality :)

You mentioned your Player doesn't do AVCHD on DVD's??? May I ask how you know that? (it is possible but rare and I really like the savings of using DVD's with HD Movies)

But a 25 GB BD-R & EP will still yield 6:24 hours or about 8 3/4 of your shows... Is that enough?

One thing you will probably want to test out is is use a Background and add the movie file as an Overlay at reduced size.

Blowing up a VHS Quality movie onto a large TV can reduce the perceived quality...

This is a similar one that I used with Super 8mm cine film onto an AVCHD: (full size was horrible!)

post-39730-0-60801000-1342964119_thumb.jpg

If you need to stick to the BD for your output, I suggest you get a 25 GB, BD-RE disc to play with before burning any BD-R's :huh:

That is a lot to take in so don't hesitate to ask more questions ^_^

Hi Jim!

I guess I should have clarified in my post. My Blu-ray player does play AVCHD files from a DVD disc, but not from a blu-ray disc. Anyway, you were reading my mind, I am going to get an RE disc to practice with. Maybe look into a couple Blu-ray double layer discs as well (pricey!). Your information makes sense to me and I understand the process. So I'm going to do some experimenting and see what I get. Thanks for the help!

won't play AVCHD on BD... are you sure?

The disc structure is different. I often create BD Folder sets, using another software, then use Roxio's Burn Data Disc but only add the Folders that an AVCHD Disc uses ;)

The Differences:

Blu-Ray

post-39730-0-59912200-1343075434_thumb.jpg

AVCHD

post-39730-0-71136800-1343075433_thumb.jpg

(my samples also contain extra folders for "Pic or Data")