Lynn Lynn

How To Render In 1920X1080?

Question

2012 Pro

I have many successful experiences of using MyDVD to create ISO files for DVD. First-time attempt to create ISO file for Blu-Ray. Three menu items from AVCHD home video, one slideshow. Preview has no problems with any of these 4 menu items. I select "burn" and omit actual disc option, as I expect to later burn several copies of a family wedding. Virtual hang on movie 2 of 4, always at 23%. Task Manager shows VW13 to be still creeping along with some small amount of I/O activity, with CPU activity way low. Fast computer, 9gb RAM, <1/3 used. No other apps running.

I need troubleshooting suggestions.

15 answers to this question

2012 Pro

I have many successful experiences of using MyDVD to create ISO files for DVD. First-time attempt to create ISO file for Blu-Ray. Three menu items from AVCHD home video, one slideshow. Preview has no problems with any of these 4 menu items. I select "burn" and omit actual disc option, as I expect to later burn several copies of a family wedding. Virtual hang on movie 2 of 4, always at 23%. Task Manager shows VW13 to be still creeping along with some small amount of I/O activity, with CPU activity way low. Fast computer, 9gb RAM, <1/3 used. No other apps running.

I need troubleshooting suggestions.

Have you tried burning to a folder set?

What happens if you leave out movie 2?

Follow-up: I deleted 2 of the 4 items, and it hung again at 34%, but the thumbnail in the rendering window -- called "burn project" -- seemed to be the same; my daughter starting to process in the wedding ceremony.

Blu-ray discs are not cheap. I do not want to burn a coaster. I need ideas.

I deleted movie 2. Now it is hanging in rendering what used to be movie 3 -- now the second one, of course. It is getting late in the evening for me. I will start a "folder set" and go to bed, with the same menu items as the most most recent attempt, but not try to create ISO.

You are going to have to take some more measures... (note that this doesn't happen every time but when it does, this is the fix that should work ;) )

Your MyDVD Project consists of 'elements'... movies, slides, audio, etc. You will need to Render these elements in VideoWave into a seperate file OR files.

Then build you MyDVD Project with these pre-rendered files*.

At that point in MyDVD, my personal preference, is to burn to a Folder Set, then use Burn Data Disc to actually burn those Folders to BD ;)

This has worked for me everytime and has become my standard workflow, so I don't even think about it anymore...

* the files you render to should be either equal to your source file quality or equal to your output quality. - if you render "equal" no quality loss. If you render up and down, losses will creep in.

I have always previoiusly pretty much followed the workflow you mention; VW to edit and render, then MYDVD to create menu, etc., though I did not create folder sets in the past.

The trouble is that with my first AVCHD (MTS) files, VW did not give me the choice of anything higher res than "DVD best quality." I spoke with a Corel support agent overseas who told me that the flow was MYDVD - select Blu-Ray -- then "edit movie." Was she mistaken about that? In any event, that is what I have tried to do. When I am ready to burn, the indication near the bottom left is that I am working with a 25GB disk.

If there is a way to render in High Def -- to select higher than DVD quality -- in VW, then I need to learn the steps to take after editing.

Back to my virtual hang problem. At this moment, the "Burn Project" is sitting at 39% in encoding movie 2 of 3, even after my deleting of the movie that originally was number 2. It will not create a folder set.

In Video Wave, when you go to start a new project, select 16 by 9. That will give you the HD option.

Edited by sknis

As Steve said, you Must be working in 16:9 to enter the HD world.

The agent is not wrong, they just offered a different way of doing it ;)

What they are missing are all of the limitation of doing it that way that the multiple VW Projects offer to you with a final Authoring in MyDVD... You only have to paint yourself into that corner once to know it is a poor way to work with all but the most simple Projects :P

I have several years of successful experience editing and burning DVD home movies, using several generations of Roxio Creator . I have not been able thus far to create HD Blu-Ray discs.

Currently using VW13, in CC 2012 Pro

After editing one or more MTS files in VW, I want to render in true full HD. However, the render window does not appear to offer this option. As far as I can navigate, the highest definition seems to be

ARCHOS MPEG-4 (AVI) best quality

Video: Sonic Solutions MPEG-4 Video Encoder 720 x 480 29.97fps.

720x480 is standard definition, not high definition.

My computer has a Blu-Ray burner, and CC 2012 Pro MYDVD offers me the choice of Blu-Ray.

[i telephoned a Corel support person, located presumably in India, who told me that there was no way to render HD using the workflow VW to MYDVD. She told me to go directly to MYDVD, select Blu-Ray, then "edit movie" which of course takes me to VW.]

Is there an option in VW to render in 1920x1080? Was the Corel tech person correct about the direction of workflow?

I have several years of successful experience editing and burning DVD home movies, using several generations of Roxio Creator . I have not been able thus far to create HD Blu-Ray discs.

Currently using VW13, in CC 2012 Pro

After editing one or more MTS files in VW, I want to render in true full HD. However, the render window does not appear to offer this option. As far as I can navigate, the highest definition seems to be

ARCHOS MPEG-4 (AVI) best quality

Video: Sonic Solutions MPEG-4 Video Encoder 720 x 480 29.97fps.

720x480 is standard definition, not high definition.

My computer has a Blu-Ray burner, and CC 2012 Pro MYDVD offers me the choice of Blu-Ray.

[i telephoned a Corel support person, located presumably in India, who told me that there was no way to render HD using the workflow VW to MYDVD. She told me to go directly to MYDVD, select Blu-Ray, then "edit movie" which of course takes me to VW.]

Is there an option in VW to render in 1920x1080? Was the Corel tech person correct about the direction of workflow?

Did you read posts #8 and #9?

Of course 720x480 is SD that is why you were told to use 16:9 which will give you the HD options.

The agent is not wrong technically but I would guess very limited in his/her knowledge of C2012., probably just the simplest operations.

Steve & I have both identifed your "problem" and given you the ONLY solution...

You really need to try it and you will see that it works ;)

Please allow me say that I found no a priori reason for any user to suppose that "16:9" is the pathway to Blu-Ray rendering. Searching the help files in VW for the term "Blu-Ray" gets zero hits; no help at all. My Canon Vixia camcorder gives me the option to record in 4:3 AND at the same time AVCHD high def 17mbps. I must suppose that those who know the pathway learned it by hard knocks, not from any Roxio help files, and there is no up-to-date user manual that has the exact navigation instructions, as far as I know. If there is, I will purchase it. I use Photoshop, and find that there are more third-party user manuals and website "how-to tips and tricks" than you can shake a stick at. Guide me to something similar for Creator 2012 Pro if available.

Yes, you all have given me the all-but secret clue to getting to Blu-Ray rendering, for which I am truly grateful. I am now going to post a question on how to choose the appropriate rending mode.

From Jim I learn

* the files you render to should be either equal to your source file quality or equal to your output quality. - if you render "equal" no quality loss. If you render up and down, losses will creep in."

I am going to ask how to choose "equal" which did not seem to be one of my choices, but maybe i missed it.

Do you have same as original?

Never choose fit to disc.

The only reference I see in the Vixia manual regarding 4:3, is for TV Playback. :huh:

Do you find another for recordings? (have it as PDF and ran a search)

I agree that Roxio has gone out of their way to keep the HD 16:9 a secret to all :lol:

Likewise it would really be nice to be able to Switch Project size within VideoWave for those of us that have painted outselves into a corner :(

I am going to ask how to choose "equal" which did not seem to be one of my choices, but maybe i missed it.
You won't find the word 'equal' in any of the VW output options. If the Vixia records at 1080p@17Mbps, then it it up to YOU to choose an output equal or close to that.

Once you have output from VW, use those files in MyDVD and Choose 'Same as Original' as Sknis pointed out. MyDVD should NOT re-render the footage.

Edited by ggrussell