Greenish Color Along Top Of Video

SMM

Question

I have recently purchased VHS to DVD 3 plus with goal of transferring older VHS to DVD. I notice in both the playback window and the burned DVD video that there is a greenish tint along the top of the screen. It looks like a tracking issue from the VCR but I have been unable to make it go away by adjusting the tracking.

I grabbed a clip from a DVD player insetad and noticed no color banding issues. The VHS videos look good when I run them direct to the TV from the VCR.

My computer is an HP Pavilion a6412p. Processor is a INtel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00 GHZ. 3.00 GB RAM. No video card - has the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 - Intel R G33/G31 Express chipset family.

DVD burner is TSSt corp CDDVDW TS-H653N.

I know I am losing some quality by recording 90 minute videos on 4.7 GB DVD. Will try to determine if this burner can handle the 8 GB DVD's.

Do you have any suggestions on improving the color quality for the old VHS.

thanks

14 answers to this question

I have recently purchased VHS to DVD 3 plus with goal of transferring older VHS to DVD. I notice in both the playback window and the burned DVD video that there is a greenish tint along the top of the screen. It looks like a tracking issue from the VCR but I have been unable to make it go away by adjusting the tracking.

I grabbed a clip from a DVD player insetad and noticed no color banding issues. The VHS videos look good when I run them direct to the TV from the VCR.

My computer is an HP Pavilion a6412p. Processor is a INtel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00 GHZ. 3.00 GB RAM. No video card - has the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 - Intel R G33/G31 Express chipset family.

DVD burner is TSSt corp CDDVDW TS-H653N.

I know I am losing some quality by recording 90 minute videos on 4.7 GB DVD. Will try to determine if this burner can handle the 8 GB DVD's.

Do you have any suggestions on improving the color quality for the old VHS.

thanks

HP says it is a DL + - Burner.

Description: s.gif TSST TS-H653N DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)DL RAM LightScribe SATA drive firmware update improves compatibility with HP DVD Play application.

Try one...

Describe your hookup from VCR to the Roxio USB Device???

You might be able to crop a little... Try using the Stabilize Video feature, it works by cropping the edges away to smooth the video but might be of use in this case ;)

For a test, you could shorten one with trim and use a DVD RW disc to test it with.

When you are starting with VHS Quality, you really really don't have any room left to compress it :huh: Either go with the DL discs as cd suggests or use the Split Project feature of EVD 3 and use 2 discs.

I too am having the intermitant transparent green and red lines at the top third of the screen. Have tried two different VCR's, three different video cards to no avail. Red , white and yellow cords to VCR ,neither VCR has SVideo output. Dell Dimension,AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800, 3gb ram,GEForce 8400 GS video card. Have done everything in the knowledge base and contacted customer support (so far not much help) . Is it a defective USB Capture cord?

Thanks for your response Jim. I used a DVD player with sVideo connection and everything was fine, good quality and good sound, no red or green bands. I'm thinking of buying a VHS player with an sVideo connector assuming you still can buy one to see if that fixes the problem. Shouldn't be this hard, the usb capture cord includes the yellow (RCA?)video connector so you would assume it would work. I've tried multiple tapes, new, old and homemade and they all have the green/red transparent bands.

Is it a color wash or is it a color band?

If it is a color band, remember that about 5% of the video will be cut off for the TV safe zone. You may not see the color band. Older tube type TV's had about 15% cut off. The only way of telling is to burn a DVD. Use RW temporarily so if it shows, you can reuse the disc.

Edited by sknis

Went down to the basement to retreve an old DVD player with composite outputs and tried that and the capture was excellant, both video and sound. Also, all the different tapes I've tried are of good quality when the VHS player is plugged into the TV. Ive tried old tapes that I recorded off the TV, tapes that my Mom had made from old 8mm family movies, simple tapes on black powder shooting and how to throw a cast net and old commercial movie tapes. All have the 1/2 inch high horozontal intermitant transparent red and green bands in the top 1/4 of the screen. I am attempting to borrow a VHS player from friends that has an sVideo output to see if that fixes the problem. Having just enough knowledge to be dangerous it seems that when the Roxio capture cable is getting digital signals from the DVD player, either composite or sVideo cables, then the cable/software/video card/computer/display all work great. As soon as "they" get the analog signal from the VHS player things go wrong. Not to cool if the name of your pruduct is " Easy VHS to DVD Plus". Also, I've burned a VHS to DVD with the bands to see if they were only on my computer screen and not on the disk then played it on the DVD player hooked up to the TV. Walla, green and red band on the TV. This is very perplexing.

So it is a color wash and not just the think band; is that correct?

How old are the tapes? How were they stored? Any possibility they got wet or were place somewhere new a magnetic field - either a magnet or a metal object where it could have been magnetized?

Just so you know, I captured 30 year old VHS tapes that were stored dry and in a non-metal container without the bands.

I Googled for the issue and found this discussion (link) It looks like there are a lot of possibilities. Here is the web site. Type in you issue and i'm sure that you will find more discussions.

Edited by sknis

One thing we did not mention... With VHS tape, sometimes, Fast Forwarding to the end then Rewinding will actually make things better :huh:

The fact that the DVD Player did not present the bands, indicates that problem is in the signal the capture device is receiving... Keep in mind that a USB powered device lacks the horsepower that a TV Receiver has :lol:

You can also try a Pass Through while you are waiting on the other VHS Player... Play your Tape into the DVD Player and connect the output from the DVD Player to the Roxio device... While it sounds good, most Players do not amplify the signals that way so it may not do any good :(

My other "plan" was to use the Stabilize feature of EVD 3 to 'crop' the offending area... But since you mentioned it was about 1/4 of the screen, that is not going to work.

Thanks for your imput. I'm throwing in the towel. I received an updated driver from customer support and installed it and tried a VHS capture. My video card stopped working, black screen and recovered three times then windows crashed to prevent damage and went to blue screen. I restarted and tried another capture and got the message "Roxio has stopped working". I unistalled and reinstalled the program three times and kept getting the same message. So now the program doesn't work at all. I'm done with it, Roxio got me for $60 and hours and hours and hours of time trying to make the program work. I'll never buy another Roxio/Corel product again. Customer support was a joke, the guy basically just kept "reading the script" from the knowledge base.

I get the Green wash on top of the recorded video from several different VCR's including one JVC HR- S5100U with an S video Output. The other VCRs I'/ve tried only have the yellow video composite output. All these give the Green Wash with rainbow coloring across the top 1/4 of the screen.

If I use my magnavox ZV427MG9 DVD/VCR recorder to output on S video I get a perfect viueo recording with the Easy VHS to DVD 3 plus with great color transfer. If i switch to the yellow Composite with this magnavox VCR I get the Green Wash as before with the other VCRs.

I am using a HP Pavillion p6620f with the Easy VHS to DVD 3 plus and Roxio Creator NXT installed. If I capture with Video Wave in the CREATOR NXT. I get the same results as above.

If I don't want the green discoloration I have to use the ZV427MG9 DVD/VCR recorder to output with the S-video. This Recorder is a rather expensive recorder which has its own ability to dub VCR's to DVD's. It won't dub macrovision however but will work as the output device into my computer to make both computer MPEG2 files and DVD's and removes the macrovision copy portection.

After all my research and experimentating I think there is a driver problem within the Easy VHS to DVD 3 plus capture device that is causing the Green wash with the composite video input. I would look forward to Roxio developing a driver update that would fix this green wash problem on the composite input. This seems to be a pretty common complaint and is on the current increase as I search for solutions.

I hope there are some other VCR's that might work as well but I do not want to buy any more VCR's (old Technology) to experiment further. As I said above the JVC does the Green wash on S-video.

Hope this helps someone and I am looking forward to a solution from Roxio Support to improve the color transfer with the composite lead.