Giving Up

jtgolfer

Question

My son played the lead male role in the local high school's musical production. I shot it with a DV camera and downloaded it to iTunes. The file is too big for a DVD so I bought some dual layer DVDs and have been trying to use iDVD, Toast 9 and Toast 11 to burn the video to a DL DVD.

I've tried three DVD burners (the one in my MacBook Pro, an LG and a LaCie) but can't get a complete burn. Here are some of the error messages I've gotten:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR

Sense Code = 0x73, 0x04

Sense key = HARDWARE ERROR

Sense Code = 0x09, 0x02

FOCUS SERVO FAILURE

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST

Sense Code = 0x24

INVALID FIELD IN CDB

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST

Sense Code = 0x30, 0x06

CANNOT FORMAT MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM

Perhaps I should try a BlueRay burner. Tired of the hassle.

5 answers to this question

You say you tried iDVD so I'm presuming you're trying to make a video DVD from it and not just trying to burn a data disc with the DV file on it. How long is the video? Toast should be able to fit nearly 3 hours of video to a single-layer disc.

You don't mention what brand of DL media you are using. If it is Memorex then the discs themselves are the problem. Most optical drive manufacturers support Verbatim DL discs.

You might try choosing Save as Disc Image with Toast. Then switch to the Copy window and choose Image File as the setting and add add the .toast file you saved. Now click the burn button. If the disc image is too big for a single-layer disc you will be asked if you want to burn it to a single-layer or dual-layer disc. If you choose dual-layer then Toast begins the burn. If you choose single-layer then disc goes through its "Fit-to-DVD" process to bring its file size down to fit. You may not see any quality difference if there isn't a lot of "fitting" required.

Digital Guru, thanks for your post.

The video is one hour and 49 minutes.

In my previous research I had learned that Memorex DVDs are unreliable. I did buy a stack of Vertabim +R DL disks but encountered the same problem with them.

Someone else suggested saving the file as Disk Image. One of the error messages popped up during that procedure.

I usually see the error message when Toast starts "Writing Lead-Out." When that message appears I get the error message within a few seconds.

I'm thinking of buying one of those big, clunky LaCie DL burners. Or, just going ahead and buying a Blu-ray burner.

Thanks.

Digital Guru, thanks for your post.

The video is one hour and 49 minutes.

In my previous research I had learned that Memorex DVDs are unreliable. I did buy a stack of Vertabim +R DL disks but encountered the same problem with them.

Someone else suggested saving the file as Disk Image. One of the error messages popped up during that procedure.

I usually see the error message when Toast starts "Writing Lead-Out." When that message appears I get the error message within a few seconds.

I'm thinking of buying one of those big, clunky LaCie DL burners. Or, just going ahead and buying a Blu-ray burner.

Thanks.

A movie of that length does not require a dual-layer disc if we are talking about a standard-definition video DVD. Toast will fit that to a single-layer disc at very good quality. So I don't know why you are needing to fuss with DL media. Unless you are using PCM audio instead of the default AC-3 audio I don't know how Toast could make this too big for a single-layer disc.

You say an error message appeared when saving as a disc image. What was that error?

Toast 11.0.6 has problems completing disc burns but there shouldn't be any trouble with 11.0.4 or Toast 9.

Digital Guru,

I admit I'm not familiar with burning movies. The QuickTime file that I'm trying to burn is 8.39GB. I figured that since a regular DVD only holds 4.7GB that I needed a larger DVD.

Please set me straight.

Thanks.

Your QuickTime video is not in MPEG 2 format so its file size is irrelevant. What matters is its resolution (e.g. 720 x 480) and its length in minutes. If it is a HD video (e.g. 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080) and you want it to be playable on a regular DVD player, then Toast will reduce its resolution to standard definition which shrinks its size a lot. I believe Toast will fit more than 3 hours of video on a single-layer, standard-definition video DVD. The picture quality decreases noticeably after a little more than two hours, however. Yours should look great.

If that isn't complicated enough, we then get into the issue of playing high-definition video on Blu-ray players. I don't think that's what you're asking about.