Anglo

Can I Burn A Mp4 Video To Dvd?

Question

Can I burn a mp4 video file to dvd with Toast 10 that will play on a stand alone dvd player? Or do I have to convert it to something else first?

3 answers to this question

Yes. Toast can burn most any unencrypted video file to a video DVD.

I added the mp4 file and set it to encode in video/dvd video, convert to PAL and burn to dvd but it was going to take nearly 5 hours to do this. So I stopped it. Is this normal? I have an Intel iMac running OSX 10.7.4.

Edited by Anglo

I added the mp4 file and set it to encode in video/dvd video, convert to PAL and burn to dvd but it was going to take nearly 5 hours to do this. So I stopped it. Is this normal? I have an Intel iMac running OSX 10.7.4.

It depends on how long it is and the resolution of the source video. If it is a HD video source then it takes extra time for Toast's MPEG encoder to rescale it to an anamorphic SD video. If it isn't 25 fps then Toast also has to change its frame rate to make it PAL.

This is one of the reasons for the popularity of streaming video from computers using Apple TV, WD TV, or the streaming capabilities on some TVs and Blu-ray players. Making video DVDs from HD sources is time consuming and results in lesser quality than the original video.