• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
braddx5

Help Me Get Back My Family Pictures

Yes, I'm one of those who backed up pictures on a CD using Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4. I was still adding pictures to the disk and my computer crashed before I closed the disk. My new computer has Windows XP and Nero SmartStart. I can't access the data on the disk because Easy CD Creator 4 won't work on XP. I want my pictures. Does anyone know of any way I can get my pictures off the disk without having to buy a new Easy CD Creator? If I do have to buy new software, will the newest version of Roxio Easy CD Creator access the data saved with Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4?

What is the most archival way to save digital pictures? And please explain in simple terms because I am not a computer expert. Thanks!

Hello Brad,

There are two ways ECDC4 can write to CDs.

1) Using Direct CD, and writing single files or bunches of files to a FORMATTED CD.

2) Using CD Creator and writing either a whole CD or at least a "session" to an UNFORMATTED CD.

Method 1 can be handy for local or short-term use, but the discs are unreadable on another machine unless you're running Direct CD on that machine too. Often they're unreadable unless you have the exact same environment as when you wrote them. Handy, but not over-practical or safe. Since you're having trouble I assume that you were using this method.

Method 2 is not so easy for dropping the odd file onto a CD, but it makes STANDARD CDROMs which can be read on any PC and many other machines.

Both methods can be used on either CD-R (write-once) or CD-RW (re-writeable) discs

If you want to archive precious stuff, use method 2 and write it onto a CD-R not a rewriteable CD. For very precious stuff write two CDs and store them in different places. Never trust your only copy of a precious file to a packet-written (formatted) disc.

Nero has similar systems. Their "InCD" is the equivalent of method 1, and the regular Nero writer uses method 2. Their StartSmart is a menu system, and Data CD should take you to the safe method 2.

- - - - -

Right, that was how to archive them. Now, how to recover them from your old discs.

Various claims have been made about reading old Direct CD discs on new versions of the software, but the results (if any) have been patchy. They seem to rely on a combination of the new system, the new software, the new CD/DVD drive, and the way you hold your mouth.

I believe that your most reliable and least expensive solution is to get a recovery program such as CD Roller (www.cdroller.com) or ISO Buster (www.isobuster.com). These programs allow a trial so that you can see what files they can recover, though you need the paid version to actually do the recovery. Our forum members have recommended both of these recovery programs.

I wish you success.

Yes, I'm one of those who backed up pictures on a CD using Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4. I was still adding pictures to the disk and my computer crashed before I closed the disk. My new computer has Windows XP and Nero SmartStart. I can't access the data on the disk because Easy CD Creator 4 won't work on XP. I want my pictures. Does anyone know of any way I can get my pictures off the disk without having to buy a new Easy CD Creator? If I do have to buy new software, will the newest version of Roxio Easy CD Creator access the data saved with Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4?

What is the most archival way to save digital pictures? And please explain in simple terms because I am not a computer expert. Thanks!

Hopefully, you used CD-R, rather than CD-RW.

I'm told EMC 7 will read them, but I don't know from experience.

Another option is to use one of the recovery programs, such as cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the old Roxio boards. Both have "trial" versions that let you see if they can recover anything before you have to pay.

If you want to KEEP the data, NEVER format the disc.

For the future, since you now have WinXP, right-click, "send-to" the burner drive, and follow the prompts. WinXP will take care of it.

Lynn