Jim B

Unknown Capture Error

Question

I am converting videos on HI8 tapes using a Startech SVID2USB2 capture device with Creator 2012. The capture device shows up on the caprure screen as a "USB 2821 Device". I can capture videos in the DV or DVD-HQ modes but attempting to capture in the DVD-SP or DVD-LP modes results in a "unknown capture error". Can some one shed some light as to why this is happening?

Thanks. Jim B.

8 answers to this question

I am converting videos on HI8 tapes using a Startech SVID2USB2 capture device with Creator 2012. The capture device shows up on the caprure screen as a "USB 2821 Device". I can capture videos in the DV or DVD-HQ modes but attempting to capture in the DVD-SP or DVD-LP modes results in a "unknown capture error". Can some one shed some light as to why this is happening?

Thanks. Jim B.

Your lucky it works at all.

Not a Roxio Capture Device or Roxio Drivers.

Why do you think we could help?

:lol::D:lol: although it does look the same as Roxio's there are most likely differences...

I do see they claim 'Lifetime Tech Support' on their site: LINK, you may want to avail yourselft of that ;)

If you want to try something, you could turn OFF your AV & Firewalls and start an install of Creator 2012... Only choose Repair when it is offered!

This will make sure that everything is up to snuff in your applications.

Let us know how you make out with this, curious -_-

:lol::D:lol: although it does look the same as Roxio's there are most likely differences...

I do see they claim 'Lifetime Tech Support' on their site: LINK, you may want to avail yourselft of that ;)

If you want to try something, you could turn OFF your AV & Firewalls and start an install of Creator 2012... Only choose Repair when it is offered!

This will make sure that everything is up to snuff in your applications.

Let us know how you make out with this, curious -_-

Thanks, jim, for your usual helpful reply. I contacted Startech and was told to use the software that came with the device. I hadn't installed it because I thought Creator 2012 would handle the job. I installed their software (GraBeeX Delux) and it worked perfectly. It's also simpler and much more user friendly then the Roxio product.

Jim

Just curious but do you have the Roxio USB capture device that works with C2012 ?

And if so what was so difficult about using it ?

Thanks, jim, for your usual helpful reply. I contacted Startech and was told to use the software that came with the device. I hadn't installed it because I thought Creator 2012 would handle the job. I installed their software (GraBeeX Delux) and it worked perfectly. It's also simpler and much more user friendly then the Roxio product.

Jim

That is good to hear!

Yes, software that is designed to do just one or two things is always simpler ;)

It is always a trade off between Simplicity and Capability :lol:

Through the years we have seen users asking for both :huh:

I have been using my little Garmin Nuvi GPS for years. Simple but limited... I was totally baffeled by another Garmin yesterday that is a lot more capable but comes with a 296 page user manual :wacko:

Simplicity or Capability, user's choice -_-

About a year ago I bought a Tom Tom XL340 with lifetime map updates and traffic alerts. Vey happy with it.

I have had 6 various ones, only 4 on hand at the moment :lol:

They all have quirks and you really need to know how to master them!