• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Record Stops After 15 Or 20 Seconds

Joeretired

Question

Started playing the tape and pressed record button. started hearing sound but said no video input. Then about 5 seconds later showed video and recorded about 10 seconds or so and then it said finished and stopped. It's basically missing about 5 to 10 seconds of video and then it stops after another 10 seconds or so.

I had original VHS to DVD, and downloaded upgrade to VHS to DVD 3. Original product worked ok, after the upgrade doesn't want to cooperate. I have disc for orginal product but not for upgrade. Do I need to reinstall and if so how do I get upgrade to download.

22 answers to this question

First! In Windows Explorer, look in your Download Directory:

post-39730-0-65044900-1345584866_thumb.jpg

You should have the EVD 3 upgrade download there. Check the size then burn it to a CD or DVD, whichever will fit ;) Write down the CD Key carefully on the envelope or the burned disc. Now you have an archive of it!

It sounds as though your tape is not in the best shape... Breaks in recording will often stop the recording. A good test is to hook up a DVD Player to it and see how it records with a DVD.

The Tape is in good shape. I created a dvd with a standalone dvd recorder, and replayed it okay. I orginally was trying to use dvd next copy to use the dvd to import but after import and burn dvd did not play, so I'm going the Roxio route to read the tape and record to hard drive. I did play the original dvd both on a dvd player and windows media player so I know both the tape and dvd were okay.

What is EVD 3, and do I have to pay for it? Is it a free download for registered users? How do I get it? What does it do for VHS to DVD 3?

My download folder is completely empty

Edited by Joeretired

The Tape is in good shape. I created a dvd with a standalone dvd recorder, and replayed it okay. I orginally was trying to use dvd next copy to use the dvd to import but after import and burn dvd did not play, so I'm going the Roxio route to read the tape and record to hard drive. I did play the original dvd both on a dvd player and windows media player so I know both the tape and dvd were okay.

What is EVD 3, and do I have to pay for it? Is it a free download for registered users? How do I get it? What does it do for VHS to DVD 3?

EVD 3 = VHS to DVD 3.

Just because you were able to copy from from the VHS to DVD using a Recorder does not mean that the tape is "good" enough for the EVD 3 capture device. The Roxio capture device may be a lot more sensitive to poor VHS signals then the recorder.

What DVD recorder? Why did you copy the tape to the DVD? If it is now on a DVD why do you want to now put it on your computer?

Look at the DVD via Windows Explorer What files do you see on the DVD? Do a screen shot and post it via "More Reply Options".

Re: Capture. How do you have the VHS tape player connected to your computer? What analog to digital converter do you have - the Roxio one or a different one? If not Roxio which one?

If you have the video on a DVD and you have the standard ifo and vob files, you would not capture the video but just copy it.

As you see your posts are adding confusion so it is hard to understand just what you are doing. Please tell us exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Please explain the information about the DVD recorder vs the use of the Roxio program. Please explain what source you are starting with when you are trying to capture via the Roxio program. What analog to digital converter you have.

Also please give us information on your computer. Use this as a guideline (link) and post the text file from dxdiag.

Bottom line, it sounds like you have the VHS player plugged directly into your computer and you are trying to capture the analog signal. If you are doing that, you will get the response you are getting.

Please come back and clarify.

Sorry I didn't see the rest of your post. Didn't scroll down far enough. I created the dvd on a standalone dvd player/recorder. I did this to watch the tape while recording a dvd. This was strictly a test, to make sure the tape looked and played ok.

I want to import the tape to my computer to make multiple copies for my friends, and to have it available in case others might like a copy. Don't want to constantly record from vhs player to dvd recorder when I can just burn dvds from my computer.

The dvd I created is in no way being used to go to the computer.

The VHS player is connected to the computer using the Roxio converter hardware. I am playing the tape on the VHS player while having the roxio menu up and clicking on the red record button.DxDiag.txt

Sorry Joe but the web site won't let me download the txt file. I have tried several browsers but the web site still says there is a permission error. I'll try later.

Next (stupid questions) I may have missed it. If you are not going to do any video editing, why don't you just make copies of the DVD using Copy and Convert Video from Creator 2010?

Third thing, do you remember if you had the Roxio USB device (please tell us what model or post a picture) plugged in before you installed the software? The gamers usually do this and end up with Windows generic drivers for the device which won't work. Open Windows Device manager and see if there are two instances of the Roxio capture device listed. If not, the device did not install properly. Repair the software and then plug in the device.

If that doesn't work, with the device plugged in, right click on each of the listings and uninstall it. Remove the device and reboot your computer. Do a repair on the software (no anti-virus running) and reboot again. Now plug in the device and see it it works .

Scroll down to the Roxio Game Capture part of this forum and take a look at some of those posts to see some images that may be helpful (not nessary but may be helpful to see some og the images).

I have several other movies on the computer and I just thought it prudent to keep everything together.

When I installed the software the converter was not plugged in. I don't do anything until I'm told by the software install.

I looked under "device manager" at the "sound, video and game controller", found "Roxio Video Capture USB", and "USB Audio Device"

The Roxio capture device says "ROXIO video capture usb". I think the model # is UB315-E ver3. The bar code 18104006155. Those are the only numbers and names on the device. It has a black connector that the white and red plugs attach to, and a yellow connector for the yellow plug. It also has an "S" video wire, that I'm not using. Can't do screen shot as I don't know how.

Just to clarify I have Roxio Creator 2011, and I think I have to reinstall it. Some features are failing when I try to start them.

As for the txt file, do you have an email address? I could send it as an attachment that way if you like.

Joe, It sounds like you are having some problems; perhaps even problems with your Windows installation.

One last suggestion. Make sure that the device is plugged into a USB port on the back of your computer. Those are the ones that are fully powered. DO NOT use a front port nor an USB hub; even if it is a powered hub.

As for the attached file, forget it for now. You could try sending it to me via a private message. Hover over my name at the left of this post and you should get a dropdown. One is "send message"

Go back to the link I posted above and scroll down. You will see some information regarding "Speccy". Try that There are instructions for taking a screen shot. in that post. Do not post any thing other than the main (summary) page so yoiu don't post any serial numbers.

It sounds like you are retired (like me) so you do have some free time. Take time to read the link to the dxdiag and Speccy information and the information on doing a screen shot. Remember to use the "More reply" option at the lower right of your reply. If oyou are still having issues, let me know. You may want to try the free "Jing" to do the screen shot.

If you are still having issues, please post the manufacturer and the full model number of your computer. Complete model numbers are usually a long stream of numbers. If what you know has only about 4 or 5 number, that is not the complete model number.

Edited by sknis

I did put the connector on the back. I did take the screen shot as you suggested, and hopefully I can paste itSummary.bmp.

I went to your name on the left and clicked on your picture, and got a send message on right side. I opened it up and clicked on full message, and then tried to copy and paste the dxDiag txt doc, It allowed me to copy it but on the send message to you area I coudn't get a paste selection. Obviously I'm not doing something right. Is there a proper way to do this.

The Computer is a Dell Inspiron 537, running XP at SP3.

I'm trying to send the DXDiag again this time as a word doc. maybe that will work.DxDiag.doc

Joe, Sorry but I cannot open either of the attachments. The information on the Dell computer may be enough for now. The dxdiag file would tell us what video and audio drivers you have to see if they are up to date.

Please go to the Dell site and update the video drivers. You should be able to get to them from here (link)

Have you tried to capture the video uisng the capture in Creator 2010? That device MAY work with that capture and not the latest VHDS to DVD 3. It depends on the drivers for it.

Hav eyou thought about Video Copy and Convert to just make copies of the DVD you do have? You should be able to copy the DVD to an ISO (image) file on your computer and then use that ISO file to make as many copies as you want.

I'm about out of suggestions.

Yea I can do that, but I just wanted to make sure the VHS to DVD product was still working okay. By the way If I re-install Creator 2011, and VHS to DVD, plus the DVD 3 upgrade and Sonic Cine Player, do I need to know where my license is for each one, or does Roxio know who I am and lets me download DVD 3 and Sonic player

I went to the Dell site and found 1 video update which I will install and give it another shot.

If you figure out why you can't the attachments I'd sure like to know. It just doesn't make any sense.

Yea I can do that, but I just wanted to make sure the VHS to DVD product was still working okay. By the way If I re-install Creator 2011, and VHS to DVD, plus the DVD 3 upgrade and Sonic Cine Player, do I need to know where my license is for each one, or does Roxio know who I am and lets me download DVD 3 and Sonic player

I went to the Dell site and found 1 video update which I will install and give it another shot.

If you figure out why you can't the attachments I'd sure like to know. It just doesn't make any sense.

What is DVD 3 upgrade or do you mean VHS to DVD 3?

If you have VHS to DVD (VHS2DVD) installed you don't really need VHS to DVD 3.

Yes I meant VHS to DVD 3. I just needed to know where to go for license number if I have to re-install any of the products.

Good news I don't know whether the video driver update fixed the problem but it's now working and I'm recording the tape as I'm writing this to you

If your doing that on the same PC?

Yes I did it on the same PC that I was having the problem with. It looks like the problem is solved, and I want to thank you for all your help and suggestions, although I still can't understand why you weren't able to open the attachments. I'm guessing it's probably some kind of security issue on my end.

Yes I did it on the same PC that I was having the problem with. It looks like the problem is solved, and I want to thank you for all your help and suggestions, although I still can't understand why you weren't able to open the attachments. I'm guessing it's probably some kind of security issue on my end.

Not necessarily; the "new" Invision update has caused multiple issues. It seems like they fix one thing and then screw up another.