Sign in to follow this  
JeffNewton

Can't Even Get Past Setup Assistant

Question

Anyone else not even able to get past the Setup Assistant? I installed from my original Toast 11 DMG then ran the update it prompted me to install and now it's a piece of useless rubbish. Tried emailing Roxio but their eMail page is very helpfully "Under Construction". The Finish button on the Setup Assistant is greyed out and all I can do is Quit.

EDIT BY PATRICK:

Solution 1 (Works for some users but definitely not all):

1. Quit the Toast.app Setup Assistant

2. Hold the CTRL key down on your keyboard or right-click on the Toast Titanium icon and select open

3. Proceed through the Setup Assistant as normal

Solution 2:

2. In Finder, click the pulldown GO menu and click GO TO FOLDER (or press SHIFT+COMMAND+G)

3. In the Go To Folder window, type (or paste) in: ~/Library/Preferences

4. Locate the "com.roxio.toast.plist" file and delete or move to the Trash

5. Close the window and launch Toast Titanium again

6. Proceed through the Setup Assistant as normal

post-106085-0-03499600-1346454674_thumb.png

Edited by patatrox
Putting solution at the top
  • Like 3

Roxio Mac Guy,

<edited out by patrick>

I am a retired broadcast engineer for a international news agency. I also did most of the maintenance on their macintosh systems.

Hi all - I'm on Mountain Lion, needed to burn a disc so went to Toast 11.04 as normal, checked for upgrades and it told me I had one. So instead of burning right away, downloaded and installed Toast 11.1. Now stuck with greyed out finish button and unusable toast - cannot even cover it with butter & marmalade !!!!!!

I cannot get a downgrade to install either.

Edited by AndyM153

And I find Roxio's lack of a solid update disturbing...

Add me to the list who is unable to complete the 11.1 update - same problem as the OP

I noticed that the Roxio site no longer has the 11.1 download available for download, so maybe they can "see" the problem now

Anyhow, I have 11.1 installed on a mac running 10.8.1 - and it won't allow finishing the update as the "finish" button is greyed out

I find your lack of faith disturbing. ;)

Since we can't see the problem here (yet), would anyone experiencing this issue subject themselves to a brief phone call with me and possible a webex session?

• Like 1

Just noticed that this problem was noted in the Toast 11 Pro ML thread starting yesterday as well - with acknowledgment from Roxio.

I am one of the users who could not launch 11.0.6 without a crash since ML launched. Since 11.0.4 is the latest update listed on the Roxio site, is that the only version that works on ML for now?

EDIT: answered my own question - at least I can launch 11.0.4...

Edited by brucknerdoc

Short term fix:

Delete the file "com.roxio.Toast.plist" in ~/Library/Preferences

I'll come up with something to automate this shortly, still working on programatic fix.... (and find out why it happens)

• Like 2

And I find Roxio's lack of a solid update disturbing...

It was a Star Wars quote to LordVader311.

Short term fix:

Delete the file com.roxio.Toast.plist in ~/Library/Preferences and then relaunch Toast 11.1

disturbing.jpg

sure, write me and I'll send you my phone number or send me your number and I'll call you

Got what I needed from finelld (that man is a trooper putting up with me before I've finished my saturday morning coffee)

patatrox, on 01 September 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Since we can't see the problem here (yet), would anyone experiencing this issue subject themselves to a brief phone call with me and possible a webex session?

Hi Patatrox, How do we start the process, I am available to talk on the phone to resolve this problem -Phillippee

patatrox, on 01 September 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Hi Patatrox, How do we start the process, I am available to talk on the phone to resolve this problem -Phillippee

For the moment I think we have what we need to fix this issue but I can't see getting an updater up today or tomorrow given folks availability this weekend.

Most users will need to use Solution 2 listed below until we can fix this on our side...

2. Hold the CTRL key down on your keyboard or right-click on the Toast Titanium icon and select open

Solution 2:

2. In Finder, click the pulldown GO menu and click GO TO FOLDER (or press SHIFT+COMMAND+G)

• Like 1

Short term fix:

I'll come up with something to automate this shortly, still working on programatic fix.... (and find out why it happens)

Thank goodness for these boards. At first when I found the topic and so many posts about the same issue I was experiencing. At first I was curious why so many were having the same problem - first thought it to be Mountain Lion related (have had some other software problems, although small, related to ML). The suggestion to delete the .plist preference was a great suggestion. Something I do as part of trying to diagnose a software problem. It worked, and Toast 11.1 "Finished" the install and runs perfectly.

Thanks Roxio Mac Guy

Patrick's solution @2 worked for me. Corel offers horrible support, in my opinion, and I'm a Mac consultant, so I do have some experience with various company's support systems. Thanks only to this forum, I got the job done this morning. 2 hours late, but done.

What version of Toast (if you recall) were you upgrading from?

Which OS version?

I'm pretty sure I was upgrading from Toast 11.06. My OS X version is 10.8.1. Thank you.

Thank you Patrick for your kind words and fantastic effort in resolving our issues.

I'm glad that we have proactive people like you monitoring these boards and keeping an eye out for problems and finding timely ways to resolve them.

Best Regards,

David Finell

I found the deleted .plist file solution worked for me - the CTL-open method did not.

What was never happening with this problem was the installer asking for the admin password, as it does when the install works - no password, no active "finish" button.

thank you Jeff... Solution 2 worked like a charm.

Anyone else not even able to get past the Setup Assistant? I installed from my original Toast 11 DMG then ran the update it prompted me to install and now it's a piece of useless rubbish. Tried emailing Roxio but their eMail page is very helpfully "Under Construction". The Finish button on the Setup Assistant is greyed out and all I can do is Quit.

EDIT BY PATRICK:

Solution 2:

Didn't work for me. #$^@ this upgrade. I'm ready to live on a trip and can't copy my DVD Presentation! This sucks. Upgrade should have been TESTED!

For the moment I think we have what we need to fix this issue but I can't see getting an updater up today or tomorrow given folks availability this weekend.

Most users will need to use Solution 2 listed below until we can fix this on our side...

Solution 2:

OK Tried it a 2nd time and got it to work. Thank you for those instructions.

Didn't work for me. #$^@ this upgrade. I'm ready to live on a trip and can't copy my DVD Presentation! This sucks. Upgrade should have been TESTED!

Upgrade v11.1 doesn't work for me either (I haven't upgraded to ML yet, so this problem shows itself under Lion as well). I simply went to my backup disks (I have two; Time Machine and CCC) and downgraded back to v11.0.6. I even tried it again, with the same result; downgraded from backup back to v11.0.6.

What I don't understand is the litany of angry posts. Yes, it shouldn't have been rolled out until fully tested by many outside of the company. Apparently, if you're running a beta, this won't happen or they would've caught it. However, in this day and age, with daily reminders from nearly every web page to have a current "backup," what is the big deal? If you don't have a backup, let this be the lesson you needed. If you do have a backup, Roxio will fix this in short order, I assure you. If you really can't wait, follow "patatrox" suggestion. Personally, I have a working v11.0.6 from backup, and rather than jump through hoops, I'll simply wait for a fixed installer for v11.1.

So calm down everyone. This happens to the best of companies. We've all made mistakes. Roxio is now aware of theirs, and will fix it after the long weekend, I assure you.

Oh, and have a BACKUP!\

Lumi

patrick's 2nd solution works for me (i'm on os x mountain lion 10.8.2) but i had to delete com.roxio.toast.plist a few times during the installation.

i've also installed toast 10.0.9 though because i've seen elsewhere that this may work better and it still works in mountain lion.

Edited by tywebb13

Short term fix:

This worked for me. I'm functional again.

In general, nothing should be launched (an update or major version) from Thursday to Sunday or a developer is going to be diagnosing and fixing problems all weekend. :-)

This might have something to do with Mountain Lion's default setting to only allow installs from the App Store unless you override the security setting. I was able to downgrade back to 11.0.4 and get it working again (but did get the dialog to reduce my application installation security level). I think I'll wait a few days before trying to upgrade again.