wade1953

Help With Creator 2012 Pro Caputure

Question

I have Creator 2012 Pro. Yesterday, I was capturing footage from my Panasonic DVX 100 (which is a MiniDv tape camera). I was capturing with the Roxio Capture USB device utilizing an S-video cable feed. I captured footage succesfully for 6-7 hours. Took a break, came back and tried to continue capturing footage. Nothing changed. Nothing got moved, unplugged. But now, when I try to capture footage... it just stops capturing as soon as I hit the "Capture Now" button. It gives me a message: UNKNOWN CAPTURE ERROR. I have tried the following: Rebooting. Replugging the USB capture device to a different port. Changing from S-Video cable to composite. Nothing helps. It just keeps refusing to capture and keeps comming back with the same message: UNKNOWN CAPTURE ERROR. I have a DELL XPS L702X Laptop with several hundred GBs of hard drive space available. I not running concurrent programs and I am disconnected from the internet while capturing. ANY IDEAS? Why would it capture sucessfully for 7 hours and then, without changing anything, suddenly stop capturing? Thanks for your input!! WADE

20 answers to this question

Did you fill up your hard drive? Delete all junk files including temp and tmp files. You can use the free CCleaner for that.

Also, why are you using the USB device? You should be using the Firewire connection since the output from that camcorder is already digital.

I am using a USB capture device because the computer I am using (Dell XPS L7202X) does not have a fire wire port. The issue isn't USB v. Firewire. The issue is why would it capture successfully for hours on end and then suddenly not.

I am using a USB capture device because the computer I am using (Dell XPS L7202X) does not have a fire wire port. The issue isn't USB v. Firewire. The issue is why would it capture successfully for hours on end and then suddenly not.

post-97-0-10448600-1346514962_thumb.jpg

Did you clean up your computer as I suggested? You may have plenty of hard drive space but you may have filled all the temporary folders.

You may have trashed the USB device or the driver for it may have become corrupt. Remove the device, and reinstall/repair the software. That should reinstall the drivers.

Edited by sknis

I agree...

By doing a HDD Defrag and the Repair. Also, cd's question about your HDD free space could be significant to this.

Following up, let me tell you what I have done so far:

I have run CCleaner and cleaned out all temp file. I have 148 GB free of 679 GB on my Hard Drive.

I am did do a defrag of my hard drive. It shows that it is 0% fragmented.

I need a little extra advice, though, on the suggestion "reinstall/repair the software." How exactly do I do that? I am not going to be afraid to ask "dumb" questions, I want to make sure I get this right.

Thanks! WADE

That should be GOOD for free space!

The repair works like this:

Turn OFF any Anti Virus software as well as any Firewalls

Start to install the program
allow it
to check for updates!

Then choose
Repair
when it is offered.

After it completes you can turn ON your AV & Firewalls then reboot.

You will need to check for any updates

The 'double update check' is for two different things. The first, during install is for an updated installer that may have come out after you bought your software...

The last is for anything that might have changed in the program, after it was made ;)

JIM: Thanks for the step-by-step advice. I really appreciate it.

Let me tell you another step I took: I unplugged the USB device from the XPS system and plugged it into a Dell Vostro laptop that I have Creator 2010 installed on. When I tried capturing (via Roxio Video Capture) it WOULD capture there... EXCEPT the footage as it was being captured was stuttering and sound was intermittently cutting in and out.

Getting back now to the suggesstion to "reinstall/repair the software - Do I need to uninstall the Roxio Creator 2012 Pro Software first before reinstalling?

Thanks, Jim!

Hi Jim: Thank you so much for all the help. Okay, so I will simply insert the original software discs provided with the Creator 2012 Pro and go from there AND NOT UNINSTALL first... correct?

I will proceed that way and update results.

Thanks so much, JIm. Not only for your advice but the patience and your willingness to go step-by-step. I am actually a very talented videographer and editor. I'm NOT a techie though. I'm trying to learn and thanks to folks like you, I don't have to be afraid to ask (what some may consider to be) dumb questions.

I'll update you after I do the repair.

WADE

Another quick question, Jim... In my post previous to the last... I mentioned that the USB capture device DID seem to work on a different laptop (although the quality of footage was crappy - stuttering, dropping sound, etc). Just wondering if this adds anything to the puzzle?

Hi Jim: Thank you so much for all the help. Okay, so I will simply insert the original software discs provided with the Creator 2012 Pro and go from there AND NOT UNINSTALL first... correct?

I will proceed that way and update results.

Thanks so much, JIm. Not only for your advice but the patience and your willingness to go step-by-step. I am actually a very talented videographer and editor. I'm NOT a techie though. I'm trying to learn and thanks to folks like you, I don't have to be afraid to ask (what some may consider to be) dumb questions.

I'll update you after I do the repair.

WADE

There are Four Steps in post #8, not just slap the disc in...

And when you do get to the disc part, it will start to install then ask if you want to Install or Repair.

Another quick question, Jim... In my post previous to the last... I mentioned that the USB capture device DID seem to work on a different laptop (although the quality of footage was crappy - stuttering, dropping sound, etc). Just wondering if this adds anything to the puzzle?

I am pretty good at hardware/software but hopelessly lost when I traded my Instamatic for an RCA back in 1980 :lol:

post-39730-0-84294900-1346695892_thumb.jpg

post-39730-0-92009900-1346695898_thumb.jpg

(you had to carry the upper silver box with you to record from the camera on a full size VHS Tape
:wacko:
)

If your capture was jerky it is usually because it is missing frames. And that happens when the PC or HDD cannot keep up with the massive input from a digital source ;)

HA! I used to shoot with that camera, I think! It's what launched me as a videographer. I remember having the box slung over my sholder while I rode on the back of a scooter trying to get traveling shots of San Francisco streets. I got some great footage with that beast!!

WADE

Okay, Jim: I have done the following per your instructions: 1). Turned off the Aniti-Viris (Microsoft Security Essentials, on my laptop). 2). Installed DISC NUMBER ONE (of 2) in Creator 2012 Pro) only.*1 3). Chose the "REPAIR" option when it was offered. 4). Turned the Anti-Virus program back on. 5) I went online to the Roxio website and checked for updates. It said that updates were only available for 2010 and 2012 versions of Creator. * (2)...

Two questions regarding the above:They are:

Step Two - Creator Pro 2012 has TWO installation discs - (Disc 1 = "Program and Content" & Disc 2 = "Program and Content"). I noticed after installing and repairing from disc one - I inserted disc two. Upon Disc Two opening it gave the following warning: "Setup has detected a previous version on Creator Pro Disc 2 already installed on this system. If you choose to continue the installation, the version of Roxio Creator Pro Disc 2 already installed on this system will first be uninstalled." QUESTION: I assume I that I DO NOT want to continue with installation of Disc Two as it will uninstall Disc 2 already installed? It is not giving me the option on disc 2 for repair.

Step Five - I assume I check for updates at the Roxio site for updates and if they don't list any updates there (and they list them only for 2010 and 2011) then there aren't any available... Is that correct?

Thanks, Jim! WADE

Disc 2 = "Program and Content")

No just extra programs. Use Explorer and look for yourself.

There is no update for C2012..

Cdanteek: I appreciate your response... are you saying that disc two contains only extra programs and does NOT need to be utilized for REPAIR?

Not sure what you mean by using Explorer to "check."

Brevity is the soul of wit. Sometimes it's the soul of confusion, I guess...

Thanks! WADE

Cdanteek: I appreciate your response... are you saying that disc two contains only extra programs and does NOT need to be utilized for REPAIR?

Not sure what you mean by using Explorer to "check."

Brevity is the soul of wit. Sometimes it's the soul of confusion, I guess...

Thanks! WADE

Disc 2 isn't used for the Repair.

GrandpaBruce:

That's what I needed to know. Thanks so much. Guess I am ready now to hook up the USB capture device and see if it will capture successfully.

Thanks for your help. I will post back once I've attempted capture and let you know the results. I'm sure it will be the highlight of your day!!

WADE

Following up: Installing the original software CD for Creator Pro 2012 allowing it to check for updates and then selecting "Repair" WORKED!

Thank you, Jim Hardin for the step-by-step instructions. Also, thank you GrandpaBruce, Cdanteek for your follow-up filling in some of the little pieces.

Thanks to you guys, I am able to capture footage thru the USB device. Installing and Repairing is the ticket.

I appreciate the help!!

WADE

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Reinstalling disc one and clicking repair and checking for updates WORKED!!

Thanks so much, Jim Hardin for sharing your knowledge and going step-by-step. GrandpaBruce and Cdanteek thank you for filling in the little question marks I had so I could complete the repair.

I appreciate you guys so much...

WADE