itobor

Sound Editor- Conversion Of Mono To Simulated Stereo

Question

I have digitized thousands of tracks of music from LP's, cassettes and reel-to-reel tapes. Some of these materials are mono and coming out of one speaker only. I foolishly did not deal with this problem when digitizing so I have to go back and convert several hundred tracks sitting in iTunes (m4a) by pulling them into Sound Editor- using the Edit-Properties-Channel Control-Mono Mix switch.

Best as I can tell, Sound Editor pulls the tracks in from my compilations albums with each track as a separate "clip" (rather than pulling them in as tracks). This then requires me to join the tracks into one clip and lose my track separators (I realize that Sound Creater does leave a mark when the track seperator was). I can then use the Mono Mix switch for all tracks at once. Alternatively, I can keep my track separators and throw the Mono Mix switch one track at a time.

That is tedious enough, but then I cannot figure a way to just save the converted files back into iTunes folder. I have been burning the converted tracks onto a CD, re-importing into iTunes -which requires me to fill in all the information for each track (title, artist, etc) - Gracenote won't help because these are mostly compilations taped off the radio 1957-1959. I then delete the original mono music files.

Am I missing some obvious (or non-obvious) shortcut?) Can I somehow save the converted tracks back into iTunes folder without having to burn a CD and without having to fill in all the lost info?

Thanks for any advice.

3 answers to this question

I have digitized thousands of tracks of music from LP's, cassettes and reel-to-reel tapes. Some of these materials are mono and coming out of one speaker only. I foolishly did not deal with this problem when digitizing so I have to go back and convert several hundred tracks sitting in iTunes (m4a) by pulling them into Sound Editor- using the Edit-Properties-Channel Control-Mono Mix switch.

Best as I can tell, Sound Editor pulls the tracks in from my compilations albums with each track as a separate "clip" (rather than pulling them in as tracks). This then requires me to join the tracks into one clip and lose my track separators (I realize that Sound Creater does leave a mark when the track seperator was). I can then use the Mono Mix switch for all tracks at once. Alternatively, I can keep my track separators and throw the Mono Mix switch one track at a time.

That is tedious enough, but then I cannot figure a way to just save the converted files back into iTunes folder. I have been burning the converted tracks onto a CD, re-importing into iTunes -which requires me to fill in all the information for each track (title, artist, etc) - Gracenote won't help because these are mostly compilations taped off the radio 1957-1959. I then delete the original mono music files.

Am I missing some obvious (or non-obvious) shortcut?) Can I somehow save the converted tracks back into iTunes folder without having to burn a CD and without having to fill in all the lost info?

Thanks for any advice.

Why would you burn them back to CDs? If your converted tracks are mp3 files, which they should be, then put them in the folders that you want them in, open i-tunes, click on File then on Add Folder To Library, and browse to the folder, or folders where you put your tracks, and add them.

Thank you Grandpabruce. You helped me a few years ago and now you have done it again!

The answer now seems obvious - My thinking was fuzzy- I kept looking in Roxio for a way to save the converted files (under the "file" menu) - and missed the obvious "export tracks/clips").

Thanks again- I'll try a more challenging question next time. After finishing my music project I am moving on to picture and video conversions so I am sure I will be coming up against some more interesting issues.

Thank you Grandpabruce. You helped me a few years ago and now you have done it again!

The answer now seems obvious - My thinking was fuzzy- I kept looking in Roxio for a way to save the converted files (under the "file" menu) - and missed the obvious "export tracks/clips").

Thanks again- I'll try a more challenging question next time. After finishing my music project I am moving on to picture and video conversions so I am sure I will be coming up against some more interesting issues.

You're welcome. Nothing seems obvious until you have done it once or twice. We've all been down that road. :)