Imovie, 11, Toast 11 Pro, Idvd, Avchd Question

orangepower10

Question

I am new to the forum and have spent about three hours trying to figure out if I can burn 1080P video out of iMOVIE 11 using Toast 11 Pro? I am still unsure of the answer. Many have complained about the loss of resolution when trying to burn discs out of iMOVIE 11 via iDVD. I have a few questions.

1. I am using a compatible Sony HDR-CX100 and shooting in AVCHD. Can I import AVCHD video in iMOVIE 11, edit video, and export via Toast 11 pro in 1080P to blu ray disc?

2. If video is 30 minutes or less, should I just burn in 1080P on a regular 4.7 GB DVD?

3. What is the difference between iDVD and Toast 11 Pro? (If I have both, which should I use?)

4. What is the best way to store all of this AVCHD video and imovie projects so that I don't lose to much space on my new macbook pro?

I realize much of this has been discussed already but I still don't know the answer. Thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

1. I am using a compatible Sony HDR-CX100 and shooting in AVCHD. Can I import AVCHD video in iMOVIE 11, edit video, and export via Toast 11 pro in 1080P to blu ray disc?

When you choose the HD DVD or Blu-ray Video setting in the Toast Video window you will get a 1080P movie when the source also is 1080P. You need to export or Share the video from iMovie in its full resolution before adding to Toast.

2. If video is 30 minutes or less, should I just burn in 1080P on a regular 4.7 GB DVD?

I think it will fit but that may be a little too long. Choose the High-Definition DVD-video setting when you want to burn a Blu-ray formatted video to a DVD disc.

3. What is the difference between iDVD and Toast 11 Pro? (If I have both, which should I use?)

iDVD is only for standard-definition video DVDs. With the Toast Blu-ray plugin Toast can create high-definition video discs.

4. What is the best way to store all of this AVCHD video and imovie projects so that I don't lose to much space on my new macbook pro?

See Toast Help describing the AVCHD Archive setting in the Toast Video window

I realize much of this has been discussed already but I still don't know the answer. Thanks in advance.

iMovie did announce to work with AVCHD which is a camcorder video format used by a variety of camcorder manufacturers. However, it is easier said than done. If you want to import AVCHD into iMovie, you will need a Mac with an Intel-based Core Duo processor or better. Even meeting this requirement, there is still difficulty in importing some of AVCHD format to iMovie especially the high definition format 1080p recorded from Panasonic HDC-TM700, Canon HF S21, Sony HDR-AX2000, Panasonic AG-HMC150 or many other AVCHD camcorders.

How to import AVCHD to iMovie

In fact, it is dead easy to solve it! The following will introduce a powerful iMovie Converter and provide a step by step guide on how to import AVCHD to iMovie with almost no loss of video and tone quality at Easy Way to Import 720p/1080i/1080p AVCHD to iMovie

This guide is applied for:

Import AVCHD files in MTS to iMovie

Import AVCHD files in M2TS to iMovie

Import AVCHD files in MPG under MPEG-2 compression to iMovie

Import AVCHD files in MOV with MJPEG video format to iMovie

Import AVCHD files in DV to iMovie

Import AVCHD files in MOD to iMovie

Import AVCHD files in TOD to iMovie

Import 1080/60p video from Panasonic HDC-TM700 camcorder, Panasonic HDC-SD9/HDC-HS9, Panasonic AG-HMC150, Canon HF S21, Sony HDR-AX2000, Sony HXR-NX5U and more

Import AVCHD to iMovie for iPhone, iPhone 4, iMovie iPad, iMovie iPad 2, iMovie iPod touch