• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

sgamper

Digitizing Analog Tapes

Question

I am digitizing analog tapes using Creator 2011. It works. However, I don't get any sound out of my computer (or the source tape player). How do I get the computer play what I am recording? Please help. Josef

6 answers to this question

I am digitizing analog tapes using Creator 2011. It works. However, I don't get any sound out of my computer (or the source tape player). How do I get the computer play what I am recording? Please help. Josef

Audio or video? What is the source? How do you have it plugged into your computer?

Hearing the audio that you are recording (live) is a function of your audio card/chip. Which one do you have? It may be a setting or it may not be possible.

I am talking about audio tapes. I have an Envy 24 sound card. This may be the problem. Do you have any suggestions about which card would work? Thanks for your help.

A lot depends on your computer. I do not want to make a rash recommendation. I use a "Creative Sound Blaster HiFi card. The card does not need to be expensive; just that it must be able to capture and play at the same time. For Sound Blaster, it is called "What you hear". It has to be 24bit or be able to down convert to 24 bit.

I can't find your Envy audio device (not a card) so I don't know if it can do the same as the Sound Blaster.

Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

Edited by sknis

Josef,

Are you saying you're recording okay, but you can't listen to the input while you're doing it?

My motherboard has an Envy 24 audio controller, and when I connect the audio input plug to the Mic. or Line In socket I immediately hear the input audio on my speakers, and it stays there regardless of whether I'm running an audio capture program or not so I don't think your problem is because you have an Envy 24 family system. It might be the way the manufacturer has designed your particular controller or audio card.

Would you check please, is yours onboard or a separate audio card? [You can tell if it's an onboard controller because the audio sockets are grouped with the motherboard sockets for keyboard, mouse, LAN etc., rather than out on their own on a removable card in a slot]. With more information we might be able to find the specs on your hardware.

If you double-click the speaker symbol on your system tray do you get shown a Mixer control panel? There are often things in there you can change.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brendon. When I looked last night, I could not find that it was a full duplex card or not. This morning I did find out that it was so I agree that listening and recording can be done at the same time.

Hi Steve,

I don't have a sound card - just the Envy 24 built-in to the motherboard. I think a discrete sound card should have even more abilities than on-board audio, but if Josef can tell us what card he has I can look it up.

Cheers,

Brendon