Double Dvd Copy

sawtooth

Question

13 answers to this question

I copied a double layer dvd to my computer hardrive. It appears as as file type "video clip (.avi)" It plays well on my computer, but I cannot burn a copy to a single layer dvd. Any suggestions? Thank you!

What application are you trying to use? Where did you get the DL DVD?

Are you in the "Copy DVD" tab; if you see a folder, you may be in the "Convert Video" tab.

Try copying the DVD to an ISO file. Then use the copy ISO on the Home page to copy the ISo to a disc.

Are you copying the entire disc or just one or two movies?

By the way, why do you want to copy the DL disc to a SL disc.

Edited by sknis

The friend happened to provide it as a DL I happen to have purchased and play SL. I will try your steps and report back later. Thank you.

Is it one movie on the DL disc? If yes then it won't fit on the standard DVD without conversion. Do you want to play the DVD only on your computer or also on a DVD player?

Sawtooth,

When you converted the movie from DVD to AVI you re-coded and compressed it to about a tenth of its previous size. That's the benefit of AVIs. You lose some fidelity and detail in the process, but not a huge amount.

However, if you want to now convert it back to DVD you will have to expand it back to DVD format. If you want it on a single-layer DVD you will then have to convert it down to half-size, losing much more detail and video information in the process.

You would be better off borrowing the DVD again and trying to shrink it direct from the original DVD, to avoid multiple losses caused by multuiple conversions..

Regards,

Brendon