• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Creator Basic 9 And Backpc 7

DaleB

Question

Hi:

I realize that this forum is for Creator 12, but I could not find one relative to Creator 9.

In a nutshell, here is the problem that I am having.

I have backed-up a folder from my laptop's external HD, by burning the folder to a DVD-R

using Roxio BackUp MyPC7.

Then, I open Roxio Creator Basic 9 to finalize the DVD.

Creator Basic tells be to insert a DVD than can be written to.

I do, but I get the same error message.

Does BackUp MyPC finalize the DVD after burning the files and folders, and verifying the DVD ?

if not, why can't I finalize the DVD with Creator Basic ?

Any ideas ?

Thanx

DaleB

15 answers to this question

Hi Dale,

I see someone has shifted your post here to the EMC 9 forum, but hasn't answered you.

If the DVD 'Can't be written to" then it must be closed [finalized]. I believe that BackUp MyPC [bUMP] does finalize discs usually.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi:

Thank you for the feedback.

In the past I have had problem with DVD-buirning software, where they say that they are closing a session (not finalizing).

The DVD player could not play/read the DVD because it was not finalized, yet the software didn't have an option to finalize.

If I tried to finalize it using a different piece of software, it typically couldn't work with the DVD.

Hi:

Thank you for the feedback.

In the past I have had problem with DVD-buirning software, where they say that they are closing a session (not finalizing).

The DVD player could not play/read the DVD because it was not finalized, yet the software didn't have an option to finalize.

If I tried to finalize it using a different piece of software, it typically couldn't work with the DVD.

You cannot create a video DVD using BackupPC as far as I know. I have never heard of anybody creating a video DVD using that program. A proper video DVD that is playable on DVD players has to be authoured/created using myDVD. When burned with myDVD,the DVD is automatically finalized.

What kind of folder are you burning to DVD? Is it a Video_TS folder set? If not then all you would have created is a data DVD.

• Like 1

Hi Dale,

I can see why you might feel the need to 'close' DVDs, but you don't need to do that with a BUMP disc. It's a special disc, and the normal rules don't apply.

BUMP specially formats its discs so they closely resemble the old Direct CD, or Drag-to-Disc format. There is a small 64k CDFS portion with a text message, and I believe the rest of the disc is formatted in UDF and not visible. Your files are stored in the UDF part, and normally are only accessed by BUMP.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Dale,

I can see why you might feel the need to 'close' DVDs, but you don't need to do that with a BUMP disc. It's a special disc, and the normal rules don't apply.

BUMP specially formats its discs so they closely resemble the old Direct CD, or Drag-to-Disc format. There is a small 64k CDFS portion with a text message, and I believe the rest of the disc is formatted in UDF and not visible. Your files are stored in the UDF part, and normally are only accessed by BUMP.

Regards,

Brendon

Can you use BUMP to create a video DVD disc?

Can you use BUMP to create a video DVD disc?

No. BUMP specially formats its discs so they closely resemble the old Direct CD, or Drag-to-Disc format.

Dale was saying that in the past his DVD player has not been able to read a DVD which hadn't been finalized, so he felt that he should finalize his BUMP backup disc.

I have reassured him that he doesn't have to do that.

Regards,

Brendon

No. BUMP specially formats its discs so they closely resemble the old Direct CD, or Drag-to-Disc format.

Dale was saying that in the past his DVD player has not been able to read a DVD which hadn't been finalized, so he felt that he should finalize his BUMP backup disc.

I have reassured him that he doesn't have to do that.

Regards,

Brendon

In his first post he states "I have backed-up a folder from my laptop's external HD, by burning the folder to a DVD-R

using Roxio BackUp MyPC7". Then in post #3 he states "The DVD player could not play/read the DVD because it was not finalized".

I interpret that as meaning he used BUMP to try and create a video DVD.

Hi:

I know nothing of BUMP.

My recent burns to DVD-R discs have been for backing-up files & folders from an old laptop.

Basically, just Drag & Drop.

The software says the the DVD-R can still be written to, since it is not finalized,

but I am not experiencing that. It asks me to insert a new disk.

Also, if I setup the setup the disk-burning to create a Master DVD-R is craps out every time saying something

like "the disc is bad...please try another disk". I do not see the disk being bad, since it does every time,

yet the same batch of DVDs work with other software. I believe that this the Roxio Backup MyPC 7

Does this type of disc need to be finalized ?

But...

In the past I have tried burning videos that I created using programs like Honestech VHS to DVD Deluxe (ver. 3.0 and 5.0).

They play on my laptop, but not on a separate DVD player hooked-up to my HDTV.

The DVD player manual says that the disc yields thius error message because the disc needs to be finalized.

I have been able to brun disx that work, by using software from Microsoft DVD maker.

I do not know how good this program is.

Other DVD makers that I have tried using include

Honestech VHS to DVD Deluxe (ver. 3.0 and 5.0) and Pinnacle Studio 10.

Pinnacle Studio 10: I have had problems with getting the settings to work so that the video being shown while you are recording is not choppy.

I am having problems where I can see the video why it is recording, but am not getting any audio in the recording...any ideas?

Is there a way in which I can reset Pinnacle Studio 10 to a set of "default values" that came with the software ? If so, how ?

Thank you

DaleB

P.S.

In using this forum, is there a 'checkbox' that I can check to receive an email when someone has responded to my questions ?

P.S.

In using this forum, is there a 'checkbox' that I can check to receive an email when someone has responded to my questions ?

Scroll to the top of this screen and press the "Follow this topic" button to get notification.

It doesn't work for everyone!

My email notifications have been broken since March...

If yours don't work post it please.

Hi:

I know nothing of BUMP.

P.S.

BUMP = BackUpMyPC

To receive notifications :

-select your username near the topight of the screen

-from the drop-down menu select "My Settings"

-select Notification Options and then set the appropriate checkbox

If you want help with Pinnacle you should be asking those questions on the Pinnacle forums.

The only way to create a proper video DVD that will play on stand-alone DVD players is to use the myDVD program. Using any form of BackUpMyPC or any other "copy option" will only create data DVDs which are only playable on your PC.

Edited by myguggi

I know nothing of BUMP.

My recent burns to DVD-R discs have been for backing-up files & folders from an old laptop.

Basically, just Drag & Drop.

The software says the the DVD-R can still be written to, since it is not finalized,

but I am not experiencing that. It asks me to insert a new disk.

Also, if I setup the setup the disk-burning to create a Master DVD-R is craps out every time saying something

like "the disc is bad...please try another disk". I do not see the disk being bad, since it does every time,

yet the same batch of DVDs work with other software. I believe that this the Roxio Backup MyPC 7

Does this type of disc need to be finalized ?

Dale, you are using BUMP - BackupMyPc.

As I explained in post #5 above, [before the gurus clustered and talked to each other about other things,] I understood you were backing up a data folder.

I'll repeat and perhaps clarify the things you need to know, and I think they'll answer your questions about the backup discs. Others who don't have or don't use this software might not know these things:

-BUMP formats discs in a special way that reserves them for use only by BUMP

-You can't use them with other software, or to create a mastered DVD-R

-These specially formatted discs can't be finalized, and don't need finalization.

-You can add to them with BUMP, but you cannot write to them with anything else.

If you have any questions about the above, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Brendon