• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Capture 2 Hr Vhs Tape Output Only Last 1.5 Hours

lotech

Question

I have now tried to capture my first 2 hr (SP) VHS tape several times. Each time the video and sound play through in real time for 2 hours. Everything looks fine on the monitor. But, when i go back to see the output after it ends, each time it starts to play at about 27 mins into the VHS tape. Not sure what I am doing wrong but this is twice now. I set copying duration to 3 hours and still missing the first 27 mins.

I am trying to copy the VHS data to my hard drive, its far from full. I am now trying to copy just the first 30 mins. and have not told it any duration to stop at. I found no issues installing of setting up. In fact found the GUI to be very intuitive and helpful. I have many 30 or more tapes to do and would like some advice please and thank you.

thanks in advance

Lotech (vern)

10 answers to this question

As a add on to the above. My test has worked I have captured the missing 30 mins by just rerunning the first part over. My question again is what am I doing wrong? Why can I not capture the whole 2 hour VHS tape into one file?

thanks again

Lotech

Thanks for the reply Jim.

There is no blank portion, the file just starts about 27 mins into the tape. I have tried with differnt tapes as I have a lot to transfer. After 2-3 runs like this I just break the task into 2, 1 hour sessions. If I do it that way I loose nothing. I have a lot of old VHS to transfer and the picture on some is pretty degraded but better than not having them. As for another machine I do not have a second one. I am using a Sony hi-fi stereo slv model. Works well and I still have a head cleaner to use before each tape. I will be moving onto hi-8 tapes later on once the VHS are completed. These are "old" tapes some are copies I made for my mom when my dad died in 1983. I had his old home movie 8mm film transferred to VHS.

cheers vern

I am still at it today. But I to have not gone back to trying a 2 hr. version. I am just doing the 1 hr jobs. I find it depressing to do the 2 hr. only to find the tape is not intact. I would prefer to keep them together. I have setup up folders for the tapes and insert the 2 pieces as is.

thanks again

Well yah...

I started a long capture and thought I heard some activity going on at the 27 minute mark! I stopped it but all was well, so that was 27 minutes wasted :lol:

Restarted the capture and currently have 10 minutes to go!

I have hit some glitches with the program, but my testing has been mostly on the output side! But I swear I did some 3 hour captures before???

Terminated at 2 Hours with BSOD :o:lol::o

Restarted and found a nice 7 GB file that is a full 2 hours long...

(of course it worked for me -_- )

I suggest this:

Remove your Capture Device until you are Done!

Turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc. and insert your Roxio Disc (download version - run Install)

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

I am hoping this will do the trick for you!

It is considered bad etiquette to steal someone else's thread. You have now done it at least twice. Please start your own ! If you don't. neither you nor the original poster nor anyone else will know who a reply was meant for.

Post your dxdiag information here.

If the tape has a stop (blank spot) in it, the program thinks that the tape is finished and will stop.

Provide us more information about exporting " to PC or anything else?"

Edited by sknis