• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

phase52010

This Operation Currently Prohibited For This Disc

Question

Setup:

Mac OS 10.8.2 & Windows 7 (in Parrallels)

Handbrake 0.9.8 x86_64

OWC Mercury Pro Blu-ray Burner

Toast 11 Tintanium (11.0.6)

Verbatim Bluray & DVD blanks (Rewriteables used to do "test burns").

Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray Player

What I'm doing:

- I'm archiving a number of old camera tapes by capturing to the Mac using FCP7.

- I then use Handbrake to convert the tapes (mov files) to MKV files each about 7GB in size. (Just my personal choice).

- I run all my MKV files through "MKV Chapterizer" using the default of a chapter marker every 5 minutes. (Personal choice).

Burning to a Blu-ray disc:

- I use Toast 11 Tintanium (11.0.6) - DATA tab; DVD-ROM (UDF) setting for burning the 3 MKV files to a blank BD disc.

Getting to the problem:

- The 3 MKV files I've prepared total about 21Gbs. I burn to a blank Blu-ray disc using Toast. Burning completes successfully and I put the disc in my Sony BDP-S370.

- The first two MKV files play OK, I can FF or FR and jump chapter markers.

- However when I play the 3rd MKV file, it's starts OK, but I cannot FF or FR nor can I access chapter markers. Instead I get this message:

"This operation currently prohibited for this disc".

I have been trying to figure out a solution to this for far to long. The ONLY solution I have been able to come up with is to burn the MKV files using IMGBURN in Windows 7.

The 3 MKV files that I couldn't burn successfully with Toast 11 (&OSX) I cou;ld burn successfully using IMGBURN in Windows 7. FF & FR work, and I can jump chapter markers without issue on all 3 files.

Anyone know what's going on??

Is this something to do with UDF in Toast 11 and/or OX10.8?

Thanks in advance.

Robert.

3 answers to this question

I don't know. Other users have reported trouble playing more than one Blu-ray video title on discs authored with Toast; at least with some players. I recommend you update to Toast 11.1. That may be the fix your need. If you have Toast preferences set to automatically check for updates you should be alerted to the update when you launch Toast.

Hi Digitial Guru;

Firstly, thank you for the response.

I did as you suggested, but it didn't make any difference to the results. I tried IMGBURN again using the same rewriteable BD disc, burner and files, and that worked.

I'm left with the assumtion that there's something in OS 10.8.2 and/or Toast 11.1 that creates a disc, that when played in my Sony BDP-S370, causes these playback issues.

Because when I burn the same files to the same re-writeable disc with the same burner; but using IMGBURN in Windows 7 (in Parallels), it creates a disc that plays fine in my Sony BDP-S370.

Do you know if there is anyway to find out from the burnt disc what that "difference" might be? Some hidden file or the like.

Thanks in advance. Robert.

Hi Digitial Guru;

Firstly, thank you for the response.

I did as you suggested, but it didn't make any difference to the results. I tried IMGBURN again using the same rewriteable BD disc, burner and files, and that worked.

I'm left with the assumtion that there's something in OS 10.8.2 and/or Toast 11.1 that creates a disc, that when played in my Sony BDP-S370, causes these playback issues.

Because when I burn the same files to the same re-writeable disc with the same burner; but using IMGBURN in Windows 7 (in Parallels), it creates a disc that plays fine in my Sony BDP-S370.

Do you know if there is anyway to find out from the burnt disc what that "difference" might be? Some hidden file or the like.

Thanks in advance. Robert.

I'm sorry but I don't know. This is beyond my knowledge. I'm glad you have an alternative method. You might send a private message to patatrox to let him know about your findings.