• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How To Create Clips?

THM

Question

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing this product to transfer mini DV footage from my panasonic camcorder to my new laptop. Will it automatically create clips based on change in scene or time/date etc? or do i need another program to do this. If so what do you suggest? I dont have time to sit down and manually divide the transferred footage into lots of clips.

thanks for any help you can provide,

4 answers to this question

You posted in an area for a program that is no longer for sale unless it is being sold as the "previous version". Easy VHS2DVD 3 is the current version.

When you say clips, are there gaps in the tape? The programs will see a gap in the tape and think it is finshed. You would have to restart the program.. If there are no gaps, then it will capture the entire tape.

What are you going to do with the captured video or clips. Telling us that might alter our recommendation. What computer do you have-- at least make and complete model number? does your camcorder and computer both have FireWire ports? If so, look at Creator NXT.

Sermon: Nothing in video editing is fast and easy. It is a commitment to preserve what has been recorded for others and for posterity. If you don't have time, keep it on the tape and play the tape on a TV or save it for when you do have time.

Edited by sknis

sorry, i guess this should go in the VHS2DVD 3 forum, how do you transfer? i'm new to this.

My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L850D with no firewire, that is why i'm looking at this program as an option. My camcorder is a panasonic mini DV NV-GS60GN-S. With my old old laptop i had movie maker and it was a simple process to connect the camcorder and capture video, at the end it would automatically create what it called clips, i'm assuming these clips were based on when i stopped and then restarted recording? i found these easy to use when i created simple movies to send to family. i could just grab the section i wanted and piece a movie together rather than having to sit down and cut up the entire hour of video into little bits before i could then start to create a movie. most of the recorded footage is short snippets of our kids, maybe 2-3 mins, we dont have long sections of continue footage of events etc.

Now i've upgraded my laptop and it is not a simple process. the laptop does not recognize the camcorder when i plug it in. I clearly told the sales people what camcorder i had and i was told no problems, they are now telling me to buy this program. i just want to make sure it will do what i want before i fork out even more money. i just want a simple process to capture video from heaps of old mini DV tapes but i dont want to have to scroll thorugh hour long lenghts of file to find the 2min section that i want. hope that makes sense.

thanks for your help,

sorry, i guess this should go in the VHS2DVD 3 forum, how do you transfer? i'm new to this.

My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L850D with no firewire, that is why i'm looking at this program as an option. My camcorder is a panasonic mini DV NV-GS60GN-S. With my old old laptop i had movie maker and it was a simple process to connect the camcorder and capture video, at the end it would automatically create what it called clips, i'm assuming these clips were based on when i stopped and then restarted recording? i found these easy to use when i created simple movies to send to family. i could just grab the section i wanted and piece a movie together rather than having to sit down and cut up the entire hour of video into little bits before i could then start to create a movie. most of the recorded footage is short snippets of our kids, maybe 2-3 mins, we dont have long sections of continue footage of events etc.

Now i've upgraded my laptop and it is not a simple process. the laptop does not recognize the camcorder when i plug it in. I clearly told the sales people what camcorder i had and i was told no problems, they are now telling me to buy this program. i just want to make sure it will do what i want before i fork out even more money. i just want a simple process to capture video from heaps of old mini DV tapes but i dont want to have to scroll thorugh hour long lenghts of file to find the 2min section that i want. hope that makes sense.

thanks for your help,

No this program will not capture based on any date/time code since it is basically a program to capture from analog recorders. It will not create "snippets" unless you select the segments manually. It will record the video in one sessions unless there are gaps on the tape and even then it may record those "gaps".

Unfortunately it looks like your laptop does not have an express slot otherwise you could have added a firewire express card to capture in "snippets".

thanks for your help,

With your new Laptop, what do you mean by, "does not recognize the camcorder when i plug it in"

WHAT are you plugging in to your new Laptop :huh:

I feel you would be better served by the Roxio Creator 2012 Special Edition. It comes with Roxio Capture USB Device and while capturing with it, it will create "Scenes"...

In the Real World of Non-Linear Editing you don't have a bunch of little broken clips! You have a file that has Scene Markers and you can select Scenes from that file as needed ;) (having said that, I have to admit the new HD camcorders DO breakup all their files into little recorded clips and split into a new file every 4GB :wacko: )

The Media Import of the full version software will create Scenes during capture:

post-39730-0-56828200-1350734224_thumb.jpg

The current version of the full Roxio Suite is called NXT... You would have to purchase the Roxio Capture USB device separately. Whereas the '2012 Special Edition' is Last Years software (without the Backup ability) and comes bundled with the capture device.

The 'Special Edition' is not sold through Roxio directly! You will have to do a Goggle to locate it. However, look at its' Specs and weigh that against you Needs for both Now as well as down the road.. :glare:

You may decide to go with the Full NXT Suite and add the capture device! The bottom line isn't always the $$$ but rather what the money will give you ;)