• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Sempster

Question

I have been running Roxio Creator 2009 in Windows 7 for about a year with no remarkable issues. I primarily use the Media Manager to archive DVD+RW recodings as MP4 files. Today, VLC (VideoLan) Media Player wanted to upgrade, and I took the upgrade. Now, Roxio Media Manager has an issue. It will launch fine, and the Video button can be selected. When the CD/DVD Disk Drive is selected as the source, the dreaded "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error! - Program C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio Creator... - This application has requested the Runtime to terminte it in an unusual way. - Please contct the application's support team for more information." Dialog Box appears.

First thought, reboot. No joy. Second thought, System Restore. System Restored to pre-upgrade time. No joy. Looked in here to see what folks were saying. Tried this fix: http://forums.suppor...g-creator-2011/. Interesting. Uninstalled VLC, Uninstalled everything that said Roxio. Deleted every Folder that said Roxio or Sonic. Read the ReadMe for the recommended XML 4 SP3 and saw that it is not compatible with Windows 7. Ran the recommended Roxio Reg Key deletion file and batch file, then manually checked that they were gone.

Reinstalled Roxio Creator 2009. No joy. Still get ""Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error!" Oops. I must admit I installed from the disk, and did not copy files from the disk to the hard drive as recommended.

Thoughts?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Processor AMD Athlon II X4 645 Processor, 3100 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Precessor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-B1, 4/20/2011

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3.75 GB

Available Physical Memory 2.46 GB

Total Virtual Memory 7.50 GB

Available Virtual Memory 5.41 GB

Page File Space 3.75 GB

3 answers to this question

You are lucky that you had Creator 2009 run with Win 7 for so long, because it isn't compatible with Win 7.

It looks like your VLC Media Player update may have roached your Creator 2009 install.

True enough and I am grateful for the time we had together. But with this patch, it worked fine.

It would be nice to know which gremlin, changed what setting, to suddenly make Creator and Windoze not play well together. I am guessing it is a Registry Key somewhere deep in the bowels of the code. In any case, I am an old swamp yankee, which means I tend to exhaust all methonds of using it up, making it do, and wearing it out, before biting the bullet and upgrading. I also have a deep-rooted desire to figure out what makes it tick.

Thanks for the reply.

You are lucky that you had Creator 2009 run with Win 7 for so long, because it isn't compatible with Win 7.

It looks like your VLC Media Player update may have roached your Creator 2009 install.

Oops, I spoke too soon. It turns out my old reliable Vista Laptop has the same problem and it does not have the VLC upgrade. I had a fun afternoon Uninstalling all of the Oct 10 Microsoft Updates. No joy yet, but at least Microsoft is chewing on the problem now. Or at least it said it was...