• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

outerbank

Roxio's Process For Making An Avchd Disc

Question

Have been searching for info on how to increase resolution of a slide show play back on a avchd disc. Found this forum post listed above under Topic Tags. Have followed the directions but have not been able to achieve a resolution 1920x1080 after selecting AVC264. Is it because the slide show was originally created at the 4:3 aspect ratio, and it can't be changed even after selecting 16:9 before clicking on "Add Photo/Video" in Videowave?

10 answers to this question

The old saying - You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

The 4 by 3 is 720 by 480 (or less); AVCHD is basically 1920 by 1080. Where are you going to get the extra pixels from?

Edited by sknis

Well you really didn't address my questions. Your response is cryptic at best. I did find the solution to my questions. The direct answer is; No, you will not be able to achieve a resolution of 1920 x 1080 once you select a 4: 3 aspect ratio in Videowave and then create your slide show or video thereafter. And, as far as I can determine, once the 4:3 aspect ratio is selected, and the slide show or video is created, it cannot be changed even if the 16:9 aspect ratio is selected prior to opening the production in Videowave.

Well you really didn't address my questions. Your response is cryptic at best. I did find the solution to my questions. The direct answer is; No, you will not be able to achieve a resolution of 1920 x 1080 once you select a 4: 3 aspect ratio in Videowave and then create your slide show or video thereafter. And, as far as I can determine, once the 4:3 aspect ratio is selected, and the slide show or video is created, it cannot be changed even if the 16:9 aspect ratio is selected prior to opening the production in Videowave.

You have been around the forums long enough to know the video ins and outs. Steve's (sknis) post should not have been cryptic to you. It spelled it out beautifully.

Well, not all 4:3 pictures are in SD quality :o

My freebie Sony takes HD 4000 X 3000 pictures but only in 4:3

There is NO Magic with ratios, they are mathematical law...

You either get black borders on the sides or blow them up and crop (lose) the top & bottom out! NOTHING can make a 4:3 into a 16:9 without lose or distortion!!!

Soooo, do you have enough Quality to tolerate enlargement?

Can you tolerate the resulting cropping loses?

If you have a 16:9 Project with the pictures added, try right clicking each one and selecting Aspect Ratio Handling. In the window that opens you can toggle between 'Show All' and 'Fill Frame' to see what the results will be...

Edit: I just noticed the part you said about it being an existing slideshow... Steve is right, 720 X 480 no real way to fix it!!!

You can try adding it as an Overlay (color panel on the Video Track) and reposition it and stretch it to 'Fill Frame' manually... But depending on what it is, quality wise, it may get worse!

Thanks for the responses. I did conclude that once the 4:3 aspect ratio is selected in videowave and a production is concluded in that aspect ratio, it cannot be changed and therefore you cannot burn a disc in HD. I did recreate a slide show in 16:9 aspect ratio, and burned a AVCHD disc. It turned out beautful. That is, the photos (shot with a Sony DSLR at 12 megapixels) are sharp and crisp. Will try the suggestions provide by Jim Hardin just to learn what it shows.

What a great tip from Jim Hardin. Thanks. I do have the black bars on the sides of the TV screen in the 16:9 aspect ratio, which isn't necessarily objectionable, but would be an improvement if the photos filled the entire screen. Did the right click on several photo panels in timeline and selected Aspect Ratio. Chose the "Fill Frame" selection. This does not seem to negatively affect the appearance of the photos. That is, the resulting enlargement and minor cropping that occurs does not result in a undesirable effect upon the photos. Have not yet implemented this modification. Will go through all the photos to see the effect on each before deciding whether to implement the change. Will burn a RW disc first to see the results on the TV.

I always was somewhat disappointed with the quality of the photos in the slideshows previously created in the 4:3 aspect ratio. However, I neither had a HD tv or Blu-ray player previously. I knew that the camera produced better definition results than seen on the TV screen, having enlarged and printed numerous photos.

Okay. Here's what I've learned about right clicking on a photo and choosing Aspect Ratio/Fill Frame. Any photo taken with the camera body in the vertical position is significantly enlarged to the point that the majority of the vertical photo is lost due to cropping. It seems that the enlargement is significantly greater than with the camera held in the normal horizontal position. Fortunately, I've only taken a few photos that way. I will most likely leave those as they are. Of course, that leaves a very wide black bar on each side of the photo as viewed on the TV. Here's something else discovered while in Videowave. At the upper part of the Videowave window is what I would call a tool bar that includes; "Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, etc." Choosing the "Bars" window, also in this tool bar, and then selecting the down arrow shows "Fill". Selecting "Fill" seems to do the same thing as right clicking on a photo and choosing Aspect Ratio/Fill Frame.

Continue to learn more about Roxio software. Because the sofware program is used sporadically, the learning curve is quite gradual and not continuous.

Have another question re burning DVD in the AVChd format. This time it concerns adding a soundtrack. Is the addition of a soundtrack any different than adding one when using the 4:3 aspect ratio with the lower definition? Any special considerations? Does the soundtrack have to be in any special format?

Thanks.

:lol::D:lol: I like your findings!

Sound Track? NO!

Yes TV Video is all orientated for Landscape... It is funny when you think of slides - projectors - screens. No one ever seemed to notice when you jumped from Landscape to Portrait :huh:

The cropping loses that occur with Fill Frame have a lot to do with how you compose your shots when taking them ;)

I mentioned I have a little freebie that only does 4:3... So when I pull it out I always allow for the upcoming loses on the top and bottom. IF I have something at either the Top or the Bottom that must stay, then I add that pic as an Overlay and enlarge it (110% sound right???) then push it around manually to reach the best compromise... But sometimes it just can't be done :(

Of course I am only a Snapshot taker and would never call myself a Photographer :P

You mentioned underwater and that only triples the difficulties with composing a shot! Hard to watch the viewfinder with a barracuda nibbling at your trunks :lol: