• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Various Burning Problems

NICK BEAL

Question

I created a 17gb 'Movie only' MKV file using 'Make MKV'. This file plays fine on my Mac Blu Ray player. I then tried to create a Blu Ray

disc from the file. This took around 20 hours (!) to encode and burn using Toast 11.0.0. The disc I created had no sound and would

only play on the Mac Blu Ray player. My Oppo player would not recognise the disc and it wouldn't play. Also at the end of writing with Toast, the process stuck at 99% and eventually I had to abort the recording and 'force quit' to extract the disc. Can any kind person point me in the right direction?

4 answers to this question

Update to Toast 11.1 either through the update within Toast or by downloading it from Roxio's software updates page. The audio issue could be due to the lack of an appropriate QuickTime codec. Download and install perian from perian.org. That covers most codecs. When Toast starts encoding, open the Roxio Converted Items folder to see if an audio file is being written along with the video file. If not, you won't have audio and should abort the encoding. If there is an audio file that's increasing in size with the encoding then you will have audio.

I suggest testing with just a short clip to see how it turns out before doing the 20-hour process. Use Toast's editor to select about 1 minute of video. Then choose Save as Disc Image. When that is finished choose Mount Disc Image from Utilities menu. Choose Roxio Video Player from the Toast Extras menu to play the mounted Blu-ray disc image.

The 99% issue should be fixed with the Toast 11.1 update.

I seem to be stalling at the very first base on this. I have downloaded the Toast 11.1 upgrade (several times now!) from the Roxio website and the resulting new version

of Toast seems completely unusable. As soon as I go into the 'Video' part of the menu and then go into 'Customise' the whole programme becomes unresponsive and the little spinning wheel appears. All I can do then is 'Force Quit'. Oddly the text under 'Output Summary' reads 'reencode never'. You mention that there is 'an update

within Toast' that I thought might be worth trying. Would you mind telling me how to access this? Apologies if I'm being thick here! Many thanks in advance.

This is the first time I've heard of a problem entering the customize window. I suggest trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Toast. Toast's preferences can get corrupted. If you have Lion or Mountain Lion you access your User Library by holding down the option key while selecting the Go menu in the Finder.

The update from within the Toast application is the same as you downloaded, except that it updates only Toast and isn't the complete bundle of applications.

You mention that you have a Mac Blu-ray player. What is that and how is it connected? What are you using to play Blu-ray discs on your Mac?