Has My Video Capture Usb Gone Bad?

P-Funk1

Question

Hi all new here. Have been using my Roxio Sound Editor for months now to convert LPs to mp3 itunes stuff. So I go in today to put some nice Michael Franks albums in there and all of a sudden it does not pick up the audio from the turntable. The sound editor is detecting the usb device but is not registering any recording level whatsoever.

I unplugged all the jacks and started over, same thing. Put the audio jacks from the TT into my cassette deck record jack to make sure its not the amp output and no problem. So it is either something with the computer itself or the actual USB video capture plug. I am thinking the Video Capture USB adapter is gone out.

Any advice is highly appreciated thanks.

Edited by P-Funk1

6 answers to this question

Double check you Windows recording options; sometimes they have a habit of resetting themselves to something you don't want. The other possibility is that your computer's USB port is having a problem. If you have a desktop, try one on the back of your computer (preferred) or just try another one.

Plug the device in and go to Windows Device Manager. Do you see two entries for that device?

It is possible but unlikely that the USB device has gone out. It is an electronic chip so excessive heat, strong magnets, impact etc. could have damaged it. Look at the connections to see if you can see any type of physical damage in the device.

If everything looks good, try a Windows restore to a time when you knew it worked.

So in the volume mixer the sound editor should not be muted nor all the way down? I tried to hook everything up and then turned the volume up here to no avail. The editor is picking up audio if you choose microphone as the source but not the USB port, changed to the other port still nothing. This is a lap.

Double check you Windows recording options; sometimes they have a habit of resetting themselves to something you don't want. The other possibility is that your computer's USB port is having a problem. If you have a desktop, try one on the back of your computer (preferred) or just try another one.

Plug the device in and go to Windows Device Manager. Do you see two entries for that device?

It is possible but unlikely that the USB device has gone out. It is an electronic chip so excessive heat, strong magnets, impact etc. could have damaged it. Look at the connections to see if you can see any type of physical damage in the device.

If everything looks good, try a Windows restore to a time when you knew it worked.

OK, according to device manager, Roxio Video Capture USB is giving me Code 39 this is what it says: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

So I clicked on update driver for this device and it says it's already the proper software on the computer. I wonder what would happen if I simply re-install the whole Sound Editor CD, would I lose the audio files already stored in the sound editor.

Do you think that might be a possible solution?

Edited by P-Funk1

You need to do a Proper Repair...

Plug in the Capture device and Disable it in the Device Manager (Sound and Video Game Controllers)

Unplug it and put it aside till later.

Turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc. and insert your Roxio Disc - run Install.

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

Then turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

With a little luck, it should be working again ;)

You need to do a Proper Repair...

Plug in the Capture device and Disable it in the Device Manager (Sound and Video Game Controllers)

Unplug it and put it aside till later.

Turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc. and insert your Roxio Disc - run Install.

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

Then turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

With a little luck, it should be working again ;)

Thanks going to try it later tonight and let you know, y'all have been great. I don't want to lose any saved audio in the current sound editor by reinstalling the disc though.